coastalfreak

Bait Fishing: Does Sensitivity Matter

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

When you guys bait fish, do you think it's worth it to get a nice rod? I don't know, I always use cheap fiberglass rods because I prefer the durability over the sensitivity. Thoughts? 

Yes for sure. I'm not saying to spend $500 on a bait stick, but a nice graphite rod makes a difference over a fiberglass one. The tip is a lot better, the rod casts further, and if you are bait fishing and holding the rod, you'll feel more bites with a graphite rod. A good graphite rod is very durable. St Croix Triumph 10'6 MH comes to mind, or an Okuma Solaris 10-11'. Both under $200 and very good bait rods.

Many years ago I had a 10' Ugly Stik as my bait rod; switched to a graphite rod and have never looked back. Considerable distance casting upgrade and massive difference in sensitivity. 

Depends. Some of the best old salt fish fiberglass rod on giant rubber band ( mono line ).  They don't spike the rod.  The theory is the more you feel the fish, the more the fish feel you.  Can't argue with results.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like a slow action rod for throwing bait with light weight or no weight. I can get a better cast without throwing the bait off the hook. You might get better answers if you are more specific about the weight, bait type, species targeted, and location.

Edited by Badtothebugs

If you’re using circle hooks you’re gonna hook more fish if you spike the rod. If you feel a tap and set the hook, more likely than not you will pull the hook right outta their mouth. So I guess the answer to your question is “it depends”.

On 10/8/2019 at 10:41 AM, coastalfreak said:

When you guys bait fish, do you think it's worth it to get a nice rod? I don't know, I always use cheap fiberglass rods because I prefer the durability over the sensitivity. Thoughts? 

If you are serious about bait fishing I would say invest in a nice rod. By nice I mean rods in the $100- upper $100 range. It will be worth it in the long run.

On 10/8/2019 at 11:58 AM, Badtothebugs said:

I like a slow action rod for throwing bait with light weight or no weight. I can get a better cast without throwing the bait off the hook. You might get better answers if you are more specific about the weight, bait type, species targeted, and location.

The fishing I tend to do is bottom rigs with fresh dead shrimp for whatever bites. Stuff like Whiting, rays, croakers, snapper blues, trout and weakfish, etc. In the surf I use probably 1.5 or less sinkers or less and in the tidal creeks and such I use whatever as the current decides the weight. Sometimes I’ll have to go 4 oz and such and that’s reserved for my bigger rods.