ZATsol

Fly line management on the SUP?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I got ISUP for this season. I did fly fish few times. And I had fly line in the water if there is breeze from the side. I wonder what other people do to keep fly line on the SUP. I’m thinking of rubber mat with soft spikes between my legs.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, ZATsol said:

I got ISUP for this season. I did fly fish few times. And I had fly line in the water if there is breeze from the side. I wonder what other people do to keep fly line on the SUP. I’m thinking of rubber mat with soft spikes between my legs.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't have a SUP or have ever used one as my sense of balance and bad ankle would probably result in a disastrous outcome. :)  Though thinking about it I probably would try something like the following: 

Start with a bathtub mat with suction cups like this one on Amazon for cheap money.   Suction cups will keep it in place (assuming you have a hard SUP).   I then would look for Gum Silicone Weld-Nut Pull Plugs (ones that are headed).    These are used in manufacturing to mask holes in parts to keep out contaminates.   They're really cheap, will act like stripping basket spikes and won't hurt if (when) you fall on them.    Just pop holes in your bath mat to accept the body diameter of the Pull Plug and the head on the pull plug will keep it from pulling through.   Bingo,  SUP stripping mat that will stay in place and easily removable at the end of your trip.    My $0.02 for today.

HT

5d9d10a323e19_bathmat.jpg.58c647f5b2a651f4d71f1d99a7b22f77.jpg

5d9d10a5935dc_bathmat2.jpg.be9db35048075e639fb00a6b7038d008.jpg

5d9d10afb4c83_Weldnutplug1.jpg.0949643094e7e6488292843c3cd2f23e.jpg

5d9d10b39a3a9_Weldnutplug2.jpg.03e6f614b7a4c14e5084badcabf27f53.jpg

Edited by HillTop

I actually fish from a SUP quite a bit and I am in the process of experimenting with fly line management. Hilltop suggested a good idea however I think the line would be blown away before it fell low enough for the spikes to grab it. Also depending on how stable your SUP is, it might be difficult to move around it to face other directions. I can move 360 degrees on mine but I have to do it carefully. Last time I was out I used my hard stripping basket but it was kind of annoying to keep taking it on and off when moving from spot to spot. Next time I’m out I’m gonna try my soft stripping basket which sucks for walking and wading but may work well on a SUP since you are standing fairly still. I’ll let you know how it goes. 

Edited by Die By The Fly

On 10/8/2019 at 10:19 AM, ZATsol said:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

All the above.

Hand coiled or finger coiled technique works just fine. From a SUB no need for large amount of running line in play when we able to move around to reach the hot spots, so from 3 to 4 times rod length of running line should be plenty in most situations. 

Once in the SUB, first coil loop end should be resting in the water, I like no more than a foot long over the water and the other end over your pinky, (non casting hand) and WATCH!! for potential seaweed or grass to other stuff drifting around  that will catch in the first coil in the water, next one over the deck to your ring finger, next knee high to middle finger and so on, wind will move your SUB to face the wind and that will dictate coils length that works best at that particular moment, you’ll find  the loo length pattern that woks best over your SUB deck design or finish and with the rest of the stuff where potential places your line will catch, be minimalistic to keep clear decks are a must here, the closer you get to master the technique it only will get easier regardless the running line diameter/ texture, water conditions and wind. 

It needs some time of practice (from a top of a chair will give you a good reference) to be confident before used right,  finger coils can be done with hand over hand retrieving to a single hand.  

The last two clips are not the best but good enough to grasp the concept and see there’s room to improve or variations.

The first clip is the one I’m more familiar with, just adjust the coils to your level of confidence and go from there.

Good luck.

Hope it helps.

best 

viete

Edited by Vieteiro
Water conditions

Here's a few suggestions that worked for me great for both blind casting and sight fishing 

1.the mesh folding basket works better than hard ones you can bend to grab your rod/land fish and move about without it getting in your way or having to slide it around your waist 

2.the stripping mat works good too just more expensive. Hand coiled will not work for SUP fishing too much going on, better to have the line stripped out on the board while paddling and adjusting your position .

Screenshot_20191012-152630_Google.jpg

Screenshot_20191012-152522_Google.jpg

I use this when I yak with a fly rod. Its kind of rubbery and comes in certain sizes. Just cut the size you need...It’s meant to go under carpet...I think you can get it at Job Lot.

Stripping basket is all I use in boat you can move around better for quick casts I see so many people struggle with tangled lines frustrated!

imho it really is the best way especially if you drive  the boat 

Edited by mkus