nickd9283

How far out to catch sharks?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hey guys, my dad and I are planning to buy our first boat this fall or first thing in the spring. We do plenty of striper fishing but we’d like to expand our options to do some ground fishing as well as maybe some recreational shark fishing. Nothing competition worthy like makos and threshers.. just a blue shark or something that can give a better fight than a striper or bluefish.

anyone know how close in blue sharks can be found? We’re on a budget so we don’t want to be shopping for a 23 foot boat to go out 20 miles if a 18 footer is sufficient within 10 miles on nice calm days

Not sure of the north shore but I once fished for sharks on a charter and we were in sight distance of Race Point.  You got to have a really good chum slick going and those blues are guarunteed to show up.

Edited by John O'

A lot depends on the time of year. In the spring when the water is colder you might have to go 20-30 miles in the fall when the water is warm you could probably catch blue dogs a mile off the beach.

Sorry I should’ve mentioned that I’d be launching out of Salem on the north shore. I’ve run into plenty of blues while out near Jeffries but was wondering if they’re common closer in?

Got a small juvenile blue out by B buoy about 2 weeks ago.  Probably 3-4 feet.  Was seeing marks that looked like striper below the boat and tossed a live mac onto the surface.  Thing came up and hit it within a minute or two.

There was a dead whale a couple miles off of scituate/marshfield/Duxbury this past summer. Lots of sharks underneath it, including a white shark off of Duxbury beach, when the whale finally drifted into shore.

On 11/13/2019 at 10:19 AM, The BuzzardsBayBruin said:

A few miles

Personally I feel that you might be being a little overly enthusiastic for an 18’ boat.

ive seen threshers and blue sharks within 8 miles of sandwich marina regularly

Agreed, we settled on a 21’ to give us a little more safety and still plan to only pass the 10 mile marker on the calmest of days