DoorGunner

Will get ugly this week.

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

The state began work a few weeks ago on Route 47 into Wildwood. It has been a flood problem for many many years to the point where it is shut down usually for about five hours on the high tide cycle during storms. The crews working on power lines and the road have never seen it flood but will get a good look this week. 

Yesterday the big milling machine began chewing up the asphalt and ripping up the curbs and sidewalks to be ready to widen the road and raise it 30 inches. All along the road are truckloads of dirt all neatly lined up and holes and ditches and equipment everywhere you look. New power poles with lines still being worked on. Areas that were grassy have been ripped out and now it's just exposed dirt. 

We have a coastal low visit beginning today that is forecasted to stall right through today into Sunday morning with northeast winds to 40 mph. Thats five days of one high tide after another that the wind will not let out and each day will see the flood waters go higher. I spoke to a few of the workers yesterday about it but somehow they just don't seem to get it. This is the WaWa that is about a block away and a foot higher than the low area where most of the work is being done during a storm. We are a block away on the other side of where the work is and I won't be able to get to the shop other than dead low tide. 

This construction is to go on until Memorial Day next year and when we met with the engineers I asked about their timetable. I asked what happens when we get weather and the cold snap where they can't work. The ignorant dick just looked at me and said, " well we plan on that not happening" I just smiled and said, You do realize that Mother Nature is listening, don't you. 

I'm sure I will be able to get some real neat pics if I can get close enough. :wee: 

Image result for pics of rio grande avenue wildwood nj flooding

Was just at that wawa this weekend turning left had to swing a you-ee before the bridge, pulled left into a parking lot.  Is that where your place is?

5 mins ago, cleatis said:

Was just at that wawa this weekend turning left had to swing a you-ee before the bridge, pulled left into a parking lot.  Is that where your place is?

Thats it. I do have my entertainment for the week. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My god. It's probably going to look like Cottageville except fewer chickens and rednecks.  

Edited by DoorGunner

10 mins ago, DoorGunner said:

Thats it. I do have my entertainment for the week. 

It was early I didn't see anybody there or I would have stopped in.  Next year.

Maybe the engineers do know. When it floods they'll blame the bulkheads and force replacement at the property owners expense. A couple thousand feet of bulkhead to be installed under existing building shouldn't be to expensive. 

8 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

Maybe the engineers do know. When it floods they'll blame the bulkheads and force replacement at the property owners expense. A couple thousand feet of bulkhead to be installed under existing building shouldn't be to expensive. 

Not just the bulkheads. Flood waters come right up through the sewers and percolates right up through the ground. You can't make the island water proof because it will always find a way. Only thing now with low bulkheads is it comes in faster. Your thinking about Cape May where everything is your fault. :beatin: 

17 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

Cape May where everything is your fault.

I'll get you a one day pass to visit, just don't tell anyone I gave it to you. 

Ain't no way I want to visit that camel cricket infested town. It should be quarantined.

Image result for pics of camel crickets 

I'm supposed to meet friends down there for the long weekend, and I'm reconsidering, because it looks brutal through the weekend.

I'll be watching my weather-geek stuff closely the rest of the week.

3 mins ago, Belmo said:

I'm supposed to meet friends down there for the long weekend, and I'm reconsidering, because it looks brutal through the weekend.

I'll be watching my weather-geek stuff closely the rest of the week.

sure you are Ballmo, sure.