cashews121

Tsunami Trophy II

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I have this rod and love it. Great quality, lightweight and casts a mile. I have it paired with a spinfisher vi 4500 BLS and it’s perfect. I got some big barracuda on it and it performed well. I highly recommend it and you can’t beat the price. Should be a perfect albie rod for casting from the beach. 

Its a great rod, I bought the 8'6" first and ended up getting the 10' as well. The lure weight rating is pretty accurate, the rod doesn't load well at 2oz or above, but it absolutely bombs 0.75-1oz tins for Albie season, which I have used it for a lot. I have posted a few pictures, I'll see if I can find some.

I tend to fish very light jigs early in the year, and it has a bit of a softer tip than I like for small bucktails etc, but it still does the job fine.

See my initial impressions i guess were jaded, as the first time I handled one I had my girl grab the tip (hah) for an action test and immidietly heard a crack at the ferrule. Barely put a load on it. Maybe I'll have to re check next season.

Edited by ThrowinPlugs

To add one more benefit of the rod, the parabolic action keeps great pressure on the fish mid fight, and I’ve noticed my hookup to landing ratio has increased with these rods. The heaviest plug I throw with the 8’6” is the 6” yo zuri surface cruiser, but I prefer lighter lures to be comfortable loading the rod correctly.

I’ve used 15-20lb line, mostly reach for a BG/saltist when I fish with this rod, as the line screams off the spool so you want a reel that doesn’t tend to get wind knots. I’ve casted a 30g jig close to 150 yards (maybe 130?), I could see almost all the backing after a 150 yard respool of 15# YZ SB

Bass, blues and bonito:

390C0B6C-4330-4CAF-AC86-6C3465E73DF1.jpeg

02DE27ED-AAC4-428A-8271-5316E0B3967D.jpeg

13C25DF5-26BE-4B09-87B4-4539F11277ED.jpeg

E3B1DAC7-370A-49A0-99D7-906965FC6C1D.jpeg

C7846DEA-F7D5-41CE-88B3-67852D995289.jpeg

2A1AF394-C933-4D7D-92DC-0F64153FACDF.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

To add one more benefit of the rod, the parabolic action keeps great pressure on the fish mid fight, and I’ve noticed my hookup to landing ratio has increased with these rods. The heaviest plug I throw with the 8’6” is the 6” yo zuri surface cruiser, but I prefer lighter lures to be comfortable loading the rod correctly.

I’ve used 15-20lb line, mostly reach for a BG/saltist when I fish with this rod, as the line screams off the spool so you want a reel that doesn’t tend to get wind knots. I’ve casted a 30g jig close to 150 yards (maybe 130?), I could see almost all the backing after a 150 yard respool of 15# YZ SB

Bass, blues and bonito:

390C0B6C-4330-4CAF-AC86-6C3465E73DF1.jpeg

02DE27ED-AAC4-428A-8271-5316E0B3967D.jpeg

13C25DF5-26BE-4B09-87B4-4539F11277ED.jpeg

E3B1DAC7-370A-49A0-99D7-906965FC6C1D.jpeg

C7846DEA-F7D5-41CE-88B3-67852D995289.jpeg

2A1AF394-C933-4D7D-92DC-0F64153FACDF.jpeg

So how well does it do at the lower end..1/2oz?

1 hour ago, cashews121 said:

So how well does it do at the lower end..1/2oz?

It is excellent at the lower end, the rod loads easily so you could probably throw quarter ounce with no problem

Love my Trophy II -9' MH(1-4oz?) Paired with my vsx150.

Have over a dozen blues 10-18lbs and 4-5 bass over 25lbs on it, handles like an absolute dream; extremely light for its capabilities.  Comfortably throws a 7" (~2oz) Cotton Cordel pencil 80+  yards with a headwind. Perfect rod for anything 1-2oz without feeling like you're "overloading" or getting "uncontrolled" casts.  So far so good and at the price point I wouldn't be angry if she broke tomorrow; to boot I've had it now since around mid June. Hope this is of help to anyone..

IMG_1038.jpg

IMG_1255.JPG

IMG_1252.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m transitioning from fly fishing back to spinning, and I just picked up this rod. So far it seems to cast well under calm conditions, but I’m hoping to get some time on the water this fall to really play around with it. 

Since this is the rod I’m using, I’d like to pose a question about line preference in this same thread. This season will be the first time I use braid, I’ve already spooled up my reel with about 125 yds of 15#. I recently came across a piece of information stating that it’s common to use a mono backing with braid. I’m wondering if this is something I should worry about. Any strong opinions on the matter?

Thanks

Edited by worldsworstangler
Missing info

59 mins ago, worldsworstangler said:

I’m transitioning from fly fishing back to spinning, and I just picked up this rod. So far it seems to cast well under calm conditions, but I’m hoping to get some time on the water this fall to really play around with it. 

Since this is the rod I’m using, I’d like to pose a question about line preference in this same thread. This season will be the first time I use braid, I’ve already spooled up my reel with about 125 yds of 15#. I recently came across a piece of information stating that it’s common to use a mono backing with braid. I’m wondering if this is something I should worry about. Any strong opinions on the matter?

Thanks

Depends on the reel. If you have a large lip between the edge of the spool and the braid, you may want to add backing to close the gap. Casting is improved once you are a few mm from the spool lip. Overspool the reel and you will get some of the line wraps coming off erratically, causing wind knots, so if you are unsure of how much backing to add, err on the safe side and sacrifice some distance to avoid the knot problem.

Nothing worse than spooling 150 yards of nice braid only to lose a third of it to a wind knot...