Mike

Blackfish Reportz 2019-2020

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

What's your name?
Who's your daddy?
(He fish) Does he fish like me?

Has he taken, any time (any time)
(To show) to show you what you need to fish?

Tell it to me slowly (tell me what)
I really want to know

It's the time of the season for togging

Tomorrow in Brooklyn I will start fishing for Black Fish.. They have to be 16 inches and a 4 fish limit.. Today i'm going to be turning rocks and catch my bait for tomorrow, Fiddler Crabs... 

1 hour ago, sytheteacher said:

Tomorrow in Brooklyn I will start fishing for Black Fish.. They have to be 16 inches and a 4 fish limit.. Today i'm going to be turning rocks and catch my bait for tomorrow, Fiddler Crabs... 

Fiddler crabs don't live under rocks, they dig burrows.

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

Fiddler crabs don't live under rocks, they dig burrows.

So what type crab am I catching under the rocks???

2 hours ago, sytheteacher said:

So what type crab am I catching under the rocks???

Most  likely Asian crabs.

I fished yesterday on a friends boat in the lower bay. We had our 10 keepers to 8lbs by 10am. We released many more keepers and only a few under 16" till we ran out of crabs. Outgoing bite was much better than incoming and 30 ft was the magic numer. 

tog and knife.JPG

37 mins ago, blacklabnh said:

I fished yesterday on a friends boat in the lower bay. We had our 10 keepers to 8lbs by 10am. We released many more keepers and only a few under 16" till we ran out of crabs. Outgoing bite was much better than incoming and 30 ft was the magic numer. 

tog and knife.JPG

Which lower bay? RI? 

Had suicidal Tog bite on Monday Columbus Day in NNJ.   We intended to go Sea Bassing but the Tog were attacking our hi-low Sea Bass clam rigs.  I switched to jig/crab/spinner and caught them one after another.  My son Brian stayed with Clams all day and caught the biggest blackfish I ever saw in person.  Did not get a measurement because we wanted to release her back safely and quickly - she aggressively swam away to make more babies :) , had to be 15+ lbs - made my 8 lb'er look tiny !   

toghog.jpg

psycho bite in the shallow water on Monday, jigs were the ticket, could not buy a bite on a regular rig. 15-20 feet , 63 degree water temp. Lock and load top half of the flood , through the slack and into the out going.One drop shopping.