dannyplug1

Fishing big rubber baits

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Received so big rubber in the mail today.  Called Gravity tackle 13’ long.  Score some of the lead heads also,  looked for info on fishing them.  Did find a face book act with lots pats big bass.  How would you guys fish them steady or up and downjigging motion?  I’m all ears don’t have much experience fishing big rubber slug go’s Hurley’s etc.  thanks Charlie 

I am not a fan of offset worm hooks, if you don't rig the hook right it will cork screw in the water, that is why I use the 9 inch squid baits they rig perfect every time and i like the moving ratting eyes that come with them, I only use the 1.3 oz , :):)

623squid700x427sharp.jpg

these look cool.  It might be a little pedantic but I really wish manufacturers of big soft plastics would list the approximate weight of each piece, those 13" guys have gotta weight at least 1.5 oz, right?

6 hours ago, codfish said:

I am not a fan of offset worm hooks, if you don't rig the hook right it will cork screw in the water, that is why I use the 9 inch squid baits they rig perfect every time and i like the moving ratting eyes that come with them, I only use the 1.3 oz , :):)

623squid700x427sharp.jpg

Who makes those? 

Those bill Hurley squids catch fish.

I usually fish big rubbers slow with a slight twitch followed by a pause.  I’ve had success with big slugos and ronZ. I havent fished the GT eels but they look killer.  

Time and a place for everything it all depends what the waters doing.

7 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

It might be a little pedantic but I really wish manufacturers of big soft plastics would list the approximate weight of each piece, 

I think the same.

I'd want to fish one unweighted, if heavy enough to cast far enough without additional weight. 

The Gravity Tackle baits look fantastic - have only seen photos of 'em. 

I fish big plastic all summer.

If anyone tells you that there's only one way to fish them, run!  You have to match the baits to the conditions and the attitude of the fish.  One trip you get them with a jighead and you lay the plastic on the bottom and barely move it, the next trip you skip a weightless 14" across the surface.

Experiment and try every technique, they all work in the right circumstances and the fish are pretty good about telling you when you have it figured out...

4 hours ago, drich032 said:

Those bill Hurley squids catch fish.

I usually fish big rubbers slow with a slight twitch followed by a pause.  I’ve had success with big slugos and ronZ. I havent fished the GT eels but they look killer.  

Time and a place for everything it all depends what the waters doing.

"Time and a place for everything it all depends what the waters  doing."   Well said:) for me nothing beats a black 9 inch sluggo at midnight:)

Edited by codfish

On 10/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, dannyplug1 said:

Received so big rubber in the mail today.  Called Gravity tackle 13’ long.  Score some of the lead heads also,  looked for info on fishing them.  Did find a face book act with lots pats big bass.  How would you guys fish them steady or up and downjigging motion?  I’m all ears don’t have much experience fishing big rubber slug go’s Hurley’s etc.  thanks Charlie 

Danny Hogy makes an 18 inch bait here is a picture

On 10/8/2019 at 9:21 AM, CoffeeHangover said:

these look cool.  It might be a little pedantic but I really wish manufacturers of big soft plastics would list the approximate weight of each piece, those 13" guys have gotta weight at least 1.5 oz, right?

I posted it a few times on fb and ig, I believe I put the weight in the description of the item on the website as well.  Apologize for it not being more up front.  Each 13.5 " bait is 1.6 oz each bait, before scenting process.  Also the lead is close to exact weights labeled.  + - 0.01-0.03 on all jigs/hooks. 

Gabe

8 hours ago, skifreek said:

I posted it a few times on fb and ig, I believe I put the weight in the description of the item on the website as well.  Apologize for it not being more up front.  Each 13.5 " bait is 1.6 oz each bait, before scenting process.  Also the lead is close to exact weights labeled.  + - 0.01-0.03 on all jigs/hooks. 

Gabe

Nice:)

On 10/8/2019 at 5:26 PM, Slappy said:

I fish big plastic all summer.

If anyone tells you that there's only one way to fish them, run!  You have to match the baits to the conditions and the attitude of the fish.  One trip you get them with a jighead and you lay the plastic on the bottom and barely move it, the next trip you skip a weightless 14" across the surface.

Experiment and try every technique, they all work in the right circumstances and the fish are pretty good about telling you when you have it figured out...

Listen to this guy...if anyone knows soft plastics..... Has a special soft bait named after him. I always liked that special  color way!  Not that color is the be all end all, but I took some nice fish on that color slap, when I can find them. 

81DFA277-5D9C-4FE7-8807-C45D7961D749.png

Edited by fvgourami3

On 10/7/2019 at 9:05 PM, dannyplug1 said:

If you are fishing from shore, try to fish them like a live eel on a swing with a very slow retrieve. There are tons of different ways to fish rubber worms as Eric mentioned. The GT eels F’n work! I all but stopped fishing live eels from the surf and the kayak this season.