Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NMurray

VA Barrier Island Fisihng

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

My family has had various places on the VA eastern shore over the years. It's been a long time since I've fished out there but I'm headed out with family at the end of the month for a cast and blast trip. Wondering what to expect for surf fishing on the islands. My uncles typically bait and wait, I'd prefer to throw plugs and lures but will be happy to fish bait if necessary. Any advice is appreciated. Not positive but I think we have access to a vehicle on one of the islands. IN the past we've cruised at low tide to find structure and then set up rods once the tide fills in.

Can't help you on fishing Virginia eastern shore spots south of Chincoteague, but casting plugs in the surf would seem to be productive only if the fish are schooled up and feeding aggressively. You might get into small blues casting shiny spoons like a gator or kastmaster. Fall on Assateague has traditionally been a bait and wait situation. This time of year theres usually some large red drum migrating along the shore.....aside from the occasional rays and sharks. If you want to throw artificials some lead jigs of various sizes with soft plastic swim tails like Gulp in different colors can score some occasionsl flounder if worked through the right spots close in. 

20171021_163845.jpg

Jimmy V. of Captain Steve's Bait and Tackle in Chincoteague likes a nice assortment of colored grub tails for flounder in different surf conditions in the fall.

20171021_163929.jpg

We'll have boats in the water in Hog Island bay. Are there any good Tog spots in the bay or should we trailer down and fish around the bridge? I assume there are plenty of tog around the pylons.

Also, do most bait shops in the area carry asian or green crabs for bait?

Edited by NMurray