wrboz

Lure Size

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I think too many folks spend too much time second guessing themselves. You have to make choices, and if you're catching, and not taking your gear beyond it's limits, then the choices aren't wrong. If you want to catch bigger fish, then fish for bigger fish, but you're going to have to take the smaller too. There are baits that are better for targeting big fish, as was mentioned. With lures, you get what you get when there's a mix of fish sizes where you're fishing. . 

 

I firmly believe in big lures or flies for bigger fish, however, it doesn't always apply. It has to be the correct choice for where & when. However, you won't catch what's not there anyway, so if there are no bigger fish present, it won't matter what you're throwing. 

 

Sometimes, when they're keying on a specific bait, it's usually best to match what they're eating, at least in size. But, you still can't predict what size fish is going to grab your offering, particularly with lures. 

 

Otherwise, I'll try anything, or any size, but when I'm not sure what they're feeding on, I'll go with something bigger first. As has been said, the smaller fish will grab a big lure, but it may reduce the numbers that will grab it. . 

Edited by Jim H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest fish I saw last year was caught on a 13 SP while everyone throwing bigger plugs caught schoolies.  I threw a 5 ounce metal lip this year trying to get through the small fish and they just got smaller.  Fish don't listen to our rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

The whole "big bait big fish" thing really doesnt hold water to me after watching the guy 20 feet next to me slam a 36 inch striper on a 1/2 oz jig head with a 5 inch bass assassin. 

many times I have been OTW throwing 7-10inch wood swimmers and watch guys catching 1-8lb fish on 4 inch rubber.

when I get hit and land my 38 inch fish they wonder why and how.

the why is that the larger fish are eating bunkers and the small fish are eating grass shrimp or nuts.

hell,sometimes the other guys got nothing at all and me,,,my rod was working solid.

depends on deep/shallow or mid depth when it comes to larger fish in the same area where smaller fish are feeding most times.

doing it my way has worked very well for me all these years.

with 16 inch fish busting the top,I will fish a diving large swimmer to get down to where the meat is.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kima said:

The biggest fish I saw last year was caught on a 13 SP while everyone throwing bigger plugs caught schoolies.  I threw a 5 ounce metal lip this year trying to get through the small fish and they just got smaller.  Fish don't listen to our rules.

Pure luck. If you want to target bigger fish you throw eels or bigger plugs. 

 

Yes, everyone has a story about some bigger fish that they caught on a micro offering. It happens, but it's purely accidental. Make a thousand casts and sooner or later you're gonna hit something on the head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

many times I have been OTW throwing 7-10inch wood swimmers and watch guys catching 1-8lb fish on 4 inch rubber.

when I get hit and land my 38 inch fish they wonder why and how.

the why is that the larger fish are eating bunkers and the small fish are eating grass shrimp or nuts.

hell,sometimes the other guys got nothing at all and me,,,my rod was working solid.

depends on deep/shallow or mid depth when it comes to larger fish in the same area where smaller fish are feeding most times.

doing it my way has worked very well for me all these years.

with 16 inch fish busting the top,I will fish a diving large swimmer to get down to where the meat is.

HH

Yeah I've been trying to change my approach to getting underneath the schoolies, but they still seem to find my plugs first haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jim H said:

I think too many folks spend too much time second guessing themselves. You have to make choices, and if you're catching, and not taking your gear beyond it's limits, then the choices aren't wrong. If you want to catch bigger fish, then fish for bigger fish, but you're going to have to take the smaller too. There are baits that are better for targeting big fish, as was mentioned. With lures, you get what you get when there's a mix of fish sizes where you're fishing. . 

 

I firmly believe in big lures or flies for bigger fish, however, it doesn't always apply. It has to be the correct choice for where & when. However, you won't catch what's not there anyway, so if there are no bigger fish present, it won't matter what you're throwing. 

 

Sometimes, when they're keying on a specific bait, it's usually best to match what they're eating, at least in size. But, you still can't predict what size fish is going to grab your offering, particularly with lures. 

 

Otherwise, I'll try anything, or any size, but when I'm not sure what they're feeding on, I'll go with something bigger first. As has been said, the smaller fish will grab a big lure, but it may reduce the numbers that will grab it. . 

couldn't say it any better myself.

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

                            

52 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Yeah I've been trying to change my approach to getting underneath the schoolies, but they still seem to find my plugs first haha.

yeah,I hear ya.

sometimes I don't get a touch or theres no bait showing itself.

in my book there is always some kind of food filtering out with the tide,if it's not a heavy amount,the fish will lay low and grab what they can.

if it's heavy and in all levels you can clean up.

my first thing is to do a surface swimmer and if no acknowledgements, I will go to a deep swimmer.

love it when it's quiet and there are fish laying low.

5d9d1bdfbde67_HHPlugWerxLDP1223.JPG.d0687ded817b38618b3299848cebd884.JPG

5d9d1ce596e4f_HHPlugWerxLDP234.JPG.643cfaf4d5a995a0dc30cba261ae2fd7.JPG

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

                            

yeah,I hear ya.

sometimes I don't get a touch or theres no bit showing itself.

in my book there is always some kind of food filtering out with the tide,if it's not a heavy amount,the fish will lay low and grab what they can.

if it's heavy and in all levels you can clean up.

my first thing is to do a surface swimmer and if no acknowledgements, I will go to a deep swimmer.

love it when it's quiet and there are fish laying low.

5d9d1bdfbde67_HHPlugWerxLDP1223.JPG.d0687ded817b38618b3299848cebd884.JPG

5d9d1ce596e4f_HHPlugWerxLDP234.JPG.643cfaf4d5a995a0dc30cba261ae2fd7.JPG

HH

Are all Pikies technically deep divers? I have one and a few other metal lips but never really use them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Are all Pikies technically deep divers? I have one and a few other metal lips but never really use them.

ya know what?,,,the first surface pikies I ever heard of was here.

never knew of them as such.

I always use creek chub giants.

they are about 9 inches and 4 oz.

they have stopped producing them now and from what others have experienced,I always remove the hooks and give them a submerged bath in polyurethane to seal them on the inside.

also like the creek chub surfster[in sardine color] although it is not the surfster lip,I tune it to dig down.

share some pix of yours,I'd love to see them.

5d9d20332528b_HHPlugWerxLDP1280.JPG.5dbcb665f40c86699a94ccf57001e78d.JPG

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bait-lures-plugs-tins-I call them all enticements...I do believe tony stetzko jr. got his 73 lb'er on a black teaser tied in front of a dead eel....I got a 47 lb'er on a 3" dead sand eel...does size matter of your offer ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, capesams said:

bait-lures-plugs-tins-I call them all enticements...I do believe tony stetzko jr. got his 73 lb'er on a black teaser tied in front of a dead eel....I got a 47 lb'er on a 3" dead sand eel...does size matter of your offer ?

does size matter of your offer?

if you go after 47lb fish with 3 inch dead sand eels then,,,hell yes.

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

The NY record surf striper was caught on a teaser in 1980 or 1981 If I am right on this.........

 

Use what you know well.....  If your catching schoolie after schoolie, move the the side of the action and throw something bigger.

 

Small stuff work better in some areas than others, like edge of rocks on inlets...

 

Bigger lures make bigger wakes.  Sometimes the fish see the wakes and react to that from above....

 

If your throwing big plugs and feel iffy about it, add a teaser to it.  Been liking the 2 lines on one swivel more than the dropper loop off a leader.

 

hook n a grub or plastic worm can be enough, or little bucktail tied hook, or small 1/4oz bucktail jig.  Seen folks use small metal tins before too.  Like freshwater sized ones.

Edited by salt deficient

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a thread on here with pics of stomach contents of fish.  Including big fish.  Contents run from very large to small stuff.  My first thought would be to match the hatch.  Then go bigger if it's not working.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.