wrboz

Lure Size

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

In the areas I fish there are a lot of shorts, usually 18-20 inches or so. I have downsized my tackle (1/2 - 2 oz rod, 4000 reel, 15 lb braid) figuring I should accommodate the range of fish usually present. My outfit lets me winch these schoolies right in. Plugs are typically 1-1.5 oz, 4-6 inches. Here’s the question: back in the day I used bigger lures. Is the downsizing costing me bigger fish? If I throw say a size 17 SP instead of the size 13 SP will as many smaller fish still hit it? What I’m throwing now is already way bigger than what I think these fish usually eat. The only baitfish I ever see are 3 inches or so.

Posted (edited) · Report post

that's a good question.

my thought on thatis if you throw small,you will catch all the smaller fish.

larger fish will take a small bait but,I am after the larger and thus I am going to give them a meal not a snack.

in late fall is another story when the smaller fish are much thicker and the larger go where they go,thats when I will down size to catch.

during the "special" time of the season I will be throwing larger wood.

now is the large wood time for me as opposed to the month of june.

other will say elephants eat peanuts,well then sure will but,they see peanuts because of humans.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

In theory the downsizing of lures may be costing you bigger fish if they are around. If the bait is smaller I think your better off with the scaled down tackle personally and get in on the action. If you really want to target big fish large plugs would be last on my list. I would chunk or sling very large eels if you can find them. 

I don't not consider the 13 vs the 17 sp to be that much smaller. They're still both small. Small fish will still go after the 17. Big fish, yes they will eat it but I would throw something bigger if I were looking to target larger fish/minimize smaller fish. A large 3-5oz metal lip, big needle, etc - now that's bigger.

The whole "big bait big fish" thing really doesnt hold water to me after watching the guy 20 feet next to me slam a 36 inch striper on a 1/2 oz jig head with a 5 inch bass assassin. 

1 hour ago, wrboz said:

In the areas I fish there are a lot of shorts, usually 18-20 inches or so. I have downsized my tackle (1/2 - 2 oz rod, 4000 reel, 15 lb braid) figuring I should accommodate the range of fish usually present. My outfit lets me winch these schoolies right in. Plugs are typically 1-1.5 oz, 4-6 inches. Here’s the question: back in the day I used bigger lures. Is the downsizing costing me bigger fish? If I throw say a size 17 SP instead of the size 13 SP will as many smaller fish still hit it? What I’m throwing now is already way bigger than what I think these fish usually eat. The only baitfish I ever see are 3 inches or so.

I did the same thing. Downsized to an 8ft 2oz Tica and I love it. 

There's a huge range of stuff you can fish and catch big fish on.

Big fish hit flys and teasers all the time right?

*of course I have a heavier rig in the truck :)

This season i've fished only a handful of times but my bigger ones are always on live spot. I've caught endless schoolies on 1/2oz bucktails, even caught a 23' on a 4in badonk a donk during a blitz

Edited by kombi_rs

2 hours ago, wrboz said:

Depends what you consider “bigger fish”. If you’re talking about keeper size (28” on up into the mid 30” range) it really shouldn’t matter much - they’ll hit what you’re throwing if they’re around. For big fish (25# & up) you probably won’t find them among those schoolies as they generally have different feeding habits. 

5 hours ago, wrboz said:

consider that keeper Stripers will feed on Cinder worms...very small. 

I think plenty of big bass have been taken on smaller plugs like 5, 6 and 7 inch SS darters, needles , bottles, Red fins, Bombers, mag darters, dannys and juniors, sluggos as well as 1 to 2 oz. bucktails. Using larger wooden plugs (3-5 oz.) seems to be in vogue now but I think they are a real specialized part of surf fishing. Larger wooden plugs do work at times are but not something that I would ever carry on a regular basis.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

12 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

The whole "big bait big fish" thing really doesnt hold water to me after watching the guy 20 feet next to me slam a 36 inch striper on a 1/2 oz jig head with a 5 inch bass assassin. 

I wouldn't say that a 36" bass is big. Heck, it's barely a 'nice' fish.

imho, 'decent' is above 40". 'Big' is better than 45". I have certainly caught larger fish on smaller offerings but bigger plugs (large metal lips and needles) and eels have consistently accounted for the majority of my bigger fish. The few bigger fish that I have taken on smaller lures were generally caught unexpectedly.

If I want to target bigger fish that means bigger plugs or eels. But I won't complain if a nicer fish shows up when the dinks are around and I'm throwing smaller stuff.

smaller swimming and  top water plugs will attract the the smaller more aggressive fish, if that's what happening then start fishing a jig or something like that  to get you under the smaller fish to where the bigger ones hang out.  

40 mins ago, Drew C. said:

I wouldn't say that a 36" bass is big. Heck, it's barely a 'nice' fish.

imho, 'decent' is above 40". 'Big' is better than 45". I have certainly caught larger fish on smaller offerings but bigger plugs (large metal lips and needles) and eels have consistently accounted for the majority of my bigger fish. The few bigger fish that I have taken on smaller lures were generally caught unexpectedly.

If I want to target bigger fish that means bigger plugs or eels. But I won't complain if a nicer fish shows up when the dinks are around and I'm throwing smaller stuff.

Damn I had it all wrong. I've never caught anything bigger than that from the surf, so I guess I didnt know.