CT Stripes

WTB 13' - 16' Fiberglass skiff

5 posts in this topic

Good evening SOL. I'm in search of a small skiff; whaler, McKee craft, Blue Fin, etc., something within the 30 - 60 hp range. I'm unfortunately on a limited budget of $2k, maybe $2500. I have an opportunity to buy one right now, but it's a bit of a fixer upper. While I know I can't expect a cream puff with my budget, I did today miss out on a beauty, by literally minutes of another buyer swooping in. So I'm hoping one of you might have one in a little better shape than what I'm about to buy. I'm located in southeast CT, willing to travel anywhere in CT, RI, or areas of MA bordering either CT or RI. Thank you Tim S & SOL.

Check Carolina Skiff. Very common and abundant. Lots in your price range. In that price range, do your best to stay away from embedded wood. That old wood could create a load of work and expense. Check the compression on the engine you plan on buying - cheap and easy tool. Look for signs of over heating on the block and cylinder head.

Good luck.....

I can't tell you how many times I was saved by another buyer "swooping in" !

4 hours ago, CT Stripes said:

I also have rods, reels, plugs, etc. that could be included on top of the cash. Somebody's gotta have a little boat they hardly use, just taking up space.

I have a 13ft aluminum duranautic V hull with a 15hp that I can do 22kts on... located in NJ... I know you mentioned glass but figured I’d try... 

1 hour ago, MagDarter said:

I have a 13ft aluminum duranautic V hull with a 15hp that I can do 22kts on... located in NJ... I know you mentioned glass but figured I’d try... 

I appreciate the reply Mag, if you lived a bit closer, I'd definitely check it out, but that's too far away. I'm not opposed to an aluminum, or even a plastic boat like a Tehri, just prefer fiberglass because I have experience working with it.

Edited by CT Stripes