kesigage

Bodi-Braid Alternative(s)

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I tried posting this earlier, but I don't see it anywhere, so here it goes again...

Any alternatives for Bodi-Braid? Have a recipe for a bucktail Surf Candy that wants one layer of Bodi-Braid, of which, I don't have. Thinking I can get away with a thread wrap but wasn't sure as I am new to fly tying. Thoughts?

Last I checked , the local chain craft store had something pretty close. Forget the brand name though. ( Fyre Werks maybe?)

That said, You can get a 30 yd spool of the origonal good stuff for around $8 . Bears Den in Taunton MA has it in stock all the time. ( and now, so do I :-)) 

LastI heard, Bill's widow still got a small taste of each sale. Bill was a great guy. I'd like to think she still does anyway.

Edited by WeeHooker

To echo what WeeHooker has said, I often buy the tinsel version of what, I believe, is embroidery yarn at craft stores. It’s similar enough, cheap, and what I like is that it comes stranded together so you can adjust how thick it is by adding or subtracting strands. 

Fyre werks! There's 2 different weaves of this material.One is a flat braid ribbon and the other is a woven yarn made by the same company.Both are used in needlepoint applications.It's distributed by;Rainbow Gallery,7412 Fulton ave.#5,N.Hollywood Ca.91605.Years ago you could buy it in bulk spools if you have a tax #.That has changed.The ribbon is what to use in you want a flat surface and be able to build up a body.The other is a hollow weave and a bit tougher to deal with.Also,the ribbon can be tied in on the hook in a length and "picked" out with a bodkin to get a so-called crystal flash effect without individual strands of flash.If you do use this method start "picking" at the end of ribbon and open the weave as you pick towards the tie in point. Hope this helps.

If you’re into repurposing and “cheap” is at the top of the list, do what I’ve done on occasion... take a Pop-Tart wrapper and cut it into strips to use as body braid or lateral line material. You can make plenty of strips out of one wrapper and it works great.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:12 PM, kesigage said:

I tried posting this earlier, but I don't see it anywhere, so here it goes again...

Any alternatives for Bodi-Braid? Have a recipe for a bucktail Surf Candy that wants one layer of Bodi-Braid, of which, I don't have. Thinking I can get away with a thread wrap but wasn't sure as I am new to fly tying. Thoughts?

This is a way old post, but I had this to say.

Back when I started getting into fly fishing, in old home waters of Rhode Island, I met Bill Peabody fishing one day. A very nice man who passed away from cancer just a couple years after meeting him. As he was the Inventor of the "Rhody Flat Wing" (and other fly ties) ... I always use Bill's Bodi-braid. It's a good luck charm thing to me.

You can get a big spool of it from Saltwater Edge in Middletown RI or Bear's Den in Tauton MA. Get the pearly color ... as in Pearly Gates.

On 10/7/2019 at 4:12 PM, kesigage said:

I was digging through some stuff today and found these things. I actually forgot I even had them. I think I won them or something because I didn't remember buying them. 

Anyway it made me think of this thread. It is a rod building thing. Should be easy to find. Bunch of different colors.

20200315_110643.jpg