Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beastly Backlash

Crank Bait Rods

42 posts in this topic

57 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Buddha, how well do you think these rods will handle larger blade baits and lipless cranks or even the occasional spinner bait?

 

Lol you prob saw my videos...

 

I've used the largest size Rippin Rap on the 96M, did just fine although I'm mostly yo-yoing it off the bottom. Also some of the JDM metal blade baits up to 1oz, and it'll launch tins a mile. I think the baitcasting model will handle a spinnerbait just fine. I'm almost positive the 8'6M will match perfectly to any 70 - 200 sized reel. 

 

Here's a rundown of the Dialuna and Daiwa Labrax AGS in case you missed it: 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, buddha162 said:

 

Lol you prob saw my videos...

 

I've used the largest size Rippin Rap on the 96M, did just fine although I'm mostly yo-yoing it off the bottom. Also some of the JDM metal blade baits up to 1oz, and it'll launch tins a mile. I think the baitcasting model will handle a spinnerbait just fine. I'm almost positive the 8'6M will match perfectly to any 70 - 200 sized reel. 

 

Here's a rundown of the Dialuna and Daiwa Labrax AGS in case you missed it: 

 

 

 

Yeap, that was one of the videos I watched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

G Loomis make their hot shot rods in casting and spinning versions, the 8' 6" versions are 2 piece, easy to ship, easy to store, very versatile, and have shown decades of reliable service, with x fast tips and heavy butts that cast a great variety of weights/lures well. Specifically designed for crankbaits.

Edited by spoonplugger1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up just ordering the 8ft8in St. Croix Legend glass rod. It was a hard decision to choose between the rod Budda recommended and the rod that I already had eyes on.

 

The decision came down to the St. Croix being available domestically. The idea of having to handle a shipping issue with a rod damaged in shipping from Japan when I basically need the rod as of now scared me off.

 

Still, Budda that Shimano rod is an awesome looking rod for what it looks like it can do, I will still end up getting one to pair to a 200 sized low pro once I free up the funds for another rod. I can use it to replace my 8ft St. Croix Tidemaster as a heavy jig rod. Thank you for that recommendation.

 

Since the 8ft 8in St. Croix will be a cranking and minnow lure rod, I am just going to slap an Abu 4600C4 on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2019 at 8:11 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

I ended up just ordering the 8ft8in St. Croix Legend glass rod. It was a hard decision to choose between the rod Budda recommended and the rod that I already had eyes on.

 

The decision came down to the St. Croix being available domestically. The idea of having to handle a shipping issue with a rod damaged in shipping from Japan when I basically need the rod as of now scared me off.

 

Still, Budda that Shimano rod is an awesome looking rod for what it looks like it can do, I will still end up getting one to pair to a 200 sized low pro once I free up the funds for another rod. I can use it to replace my 8ft St. Croix Tidemaster as a heavy jig rod. Thank you for that recommendation.

 

Since the 8ft 8in St. Croix will be a cranking and minnow lure rod, I am just going to slap an Abu 4600C4 on it. 

 you made a good decision. The thing that strikes you the first is the weight. Such a light composite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fvgourami3 said:

 you made a good decision. The thing that strikes you the first is the weight. Such a light composite. 

 

Yeah, it was the very first thing that struck me, I was not expecting an 8ft8in glass rod to be so light.

 

I know what the weight is on St. Croix's website, but I did not believe the stated weight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got the rod yesterday, the plan is to put it through the paces tonight and the next few days. So far the length and action seem to be exactly what I have always been seeking as far as a walleye baitcasting rod is concerned. Most rods are too short.

 

I will be interested to see how it casts HJ14's, Original 18's, and Super Shads. I think it will cast those lures well.

 

Already catching big walleye and the occasional musky bycatch, so I really can't wait to get on the water tonight once I get off work at 730pm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

Yeah, it was the very first thing that struck me, I was not expecting an 8ft8in glass rod to be so light.

 

I know what the weight is on St. Croix's website, but I did not believe the stated weight.

 

I have the spinning 6’8. With a Stella 3 k the rod and reel weigh 13 oz. it rivals the exist and century

image.jpg

Edited by fvgourami3
Pics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I just got the rod yesterday, the plan is to put it through the paces tonight and the next few days. So far the length and action seem to be exactly what I have always been seeking as far as a walleye baitcasting rod is concerned. Most rods are too short.

 

I will be interested to see how it casts HJ14's, Original 18's, and Super Shads. I think it will cast those lures well.

 

Already catching big walleye and the occasional musky bycatch, so I really can't wait to get on the water tonight once I get off work at 730pm.

Don’t be afraid to horse stuff. I thought it might not be up for the job until I fought some albies hard. Looks like it will snap in half but you can get some serious power. Probably make a great medium channel cat rod for float  fishing . I know your catfish master haha

Edited by fvgourami3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 mins ago, fvgourami3 said:

Don’t be afraid to horse stuff. I thought it might not be up for the job until I fought some albies hard. Looks like it will snap in half but you can get some serious power. Probably make a great medium channel cat rod for float  fishing . I know your catfish master haha

 

I was actually thinking about how fun it would be to use on channels when creek stomping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Beastly Backlash said:

 

I was actually thinking about how fun it would be to use on channels when creek stomping.

I took a 33 last week(striper) not that that’s huge, but no problems. Do it and let me know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will be shooting for a 33in walleye tonight. I don't use many lures, just a couple specific types, 1 or two colors, and one size is all.

 

Looking forward to seeing how things go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 5:43 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

I will be shooting for a 33in walleye tonight. I don't use many lures, just a couple specific types, 1 or two colors, and one size is all.

 

Looking forward to seeing how things go.

Well..,,, how was it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fvgourami3 said:

Well..,,, how was it?

 

Casts great and feels great in hand, it is a very versatile rod for sure. I had to get the reel dialed in after cleaning the grease from the idler gear and worm gear.

 

No fish on it yet though. Out right now as we speak just putting the rod through the paces some more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.