Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beastly Backlash

Crank Bait Rods

42 posts in this topic

I am in the mood for a new crankbait rod for shore fishing walleye.

I am looking really hard at the St. Croix Legend 7ft11in and 8ft8in glass casting rods, seems like the 8ft8in one piece rod will be a big pain to get my hands on as no stores near me carry it and TD will not ship it.

But, I would like some other ideas and options for an 8ft to 9ft casting rod capable of casting about .5oz to 1.5oz.

What other rods are available that you guys might suggest for casting crankbaits, swimbaits, and large minnow lures for walleye?

I have fished the Dobyns Sierra 735 for largemouth and smallmouth throwing small and medium sized swimbaits and medium and large jerkbaits. I love it. 

I actually contacted Gary Dobyns directly off the contact form on their site and he recommended the Sierra line over the Champion lines because they tended to be more moderate. 

They do make some crankbait specific rods in that length in the Champion lines. 

On 10/7/2019 at 3:59 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

I am in the mood for a new crankbait rod for shore fishing walleye.

I am looking really hard at the St. Croix Legend 7ft11in and 8ft8in glass casting rods, seems like the 8ft8in one piece rod will be a big pain to get my hands on as no stores near me carry it and TD will not ship it.

But, I would like some other ideas and options for an 8ft to 9ft casting rod capable of casting about .5oz to 1.5oz.

What other rods are available that you guys might suggest for casting crankbaits, swimbaits, and large minnow lures for walleye?

I use that 7'11" mag cranker blank. That's a lot of rod for walleye. Mine is built as a spinner, and I use it for drifting 1oz plugs for fish in the 20-40lb class. Here's an older version of that rod (I've built 4). Heavy fish in fast current aren't a problem.

FB_IMG_1570628241589.jpg

It is a lot of rod for the average walleye and typical walleye presentantion, but I typically run larger lures and heavier swimbaits for big walleye.

30 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I will only be running 15lb test on the rod.

I just need a decent length and a rod that doesn't mind 1/2oz to 2oz lures.

It won't like 2oz at all. The 1.25oz top end rating is accurate.

1 hour ago, Local66 said:

It won't like 2oz at all. The 1.25oz top end rating is accurate.

Gottcha, thanks for that feed back.

That is a pretty narrow range of casting weight for a glass rod. How does it handle the low end of that casting range?

I may still give it a shot, if I need to go to 2oz I have other rods I can pull out.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Gottcha, thanks for that feed back.

That is a pretty narrow range of casting weight for a glass rod. How does it handle the low end of that casting range?

I may still give it a shot, if I need to go to 2oz I have other rods I can pull out.

I think we're talking about different rods. Mine is the 4C711MMF (I think), definitely a full carbon rod, moderate taper. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Local66

On 10/7/2019 at 3:59 PM, Beastly Backlash said:

If it doesn't have to be glass, you should take a hard look at some of the JDM baitcasting suzuki rods. 

I have the Shimano Dialuna 96m (spinning), and would use it for freshwater applications in a heartbeat if I fished from the bank. Very sensitive, med-fast tapers, true to rating. That 10'6M casting rod is under 6oz lol. 

2019DIALUNA_ima0055.jpg

DIALUNA-B86ML.jpg

45 mins ago, buddha162 said:

If it doesn't have to be glass, you should take a hard look at some of the JDM baitcasting suzuki rods. 

I have the Shimano Dialuna 96m (spinning), and would use it for freshwater applications in a heartbeat if I fished from the bank. Very sensitive, med-fast tapers, true to rating. That 10'6M casting rod is under 6oz lol. 

2019DIALUNA_ima0055.jpg

DIALUNA-B86ML.jpg

Where can you get those rods?

9 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Where can you get those rods?

Fleabay, type in "DIALUNA B96M" etc and they'll show up. My cousin and I bought a few rods from that one seller mathew0408 with zero issues, usually arriving within 5 business days from Japan. Not sure about the warranty situation purchasing JDM, that's something to consider vs USDM rods. But, there is really nothing like it on the market here, and they are so perfect for sub-1.5oz shore jigging. 

The intended purpose is throwing smallish treble hook plugs to Japanese sea bass, imo they have the perfect taper for that + relatively thin-wire single hook applications as well. 1.5oz might be pushing the Medium, but you can definitely lob it. Full launching 1oz is perfectly fine.  

I will have to look into those.

2 pieces too, might make a good travel rod for Florida piers. What size baitcaster do you see these rods matching up well with? I was probably going to go with a 200 sized low pro or just an Abu 4600C4.

You don't happen to know anything about the 8ft6in St. Croix Wild River steelhead rods, do you? They were another rod that crossed my mind, but I have the impression that those rods, even with a fast action, bend to much through the length of the blank to be effective with lures that have some resistance 

41 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I will have to look into those.

2 pieces too, might make a good travel rod for Florida piers. What size baitcaster do you see these rods matching up well with? I was probably going to go with a 200 sized low pro or just an Abu 4600C4.

You don't happen to know anything about the 8ft6in St. Croix Wild River steelhead rods, do you? They were another rod that crossed my mind, but I have the impression that those rods, even with a fast action, bend to much through the length of the blank to be effective with lures that have some resistance 

I had an avid steelhead rod that I got rid of after one session bc it was way too soft. 

Sight unseen I'd say 200 sized BC would be perfect for the Dialuna. 

Here's a short clip of the spinning version:

I might give the medium power 8ft6in Dialuna a whirl, casting weight is about 3/8oz to 1 1/2oz which is about perfect for what I need.

A lot of the videos I have seen on these rods show guys using them while jigging for fluke simular to how I jig. It looks like is has a decent action for minnow lures too.

Buddha, how well do you think these rods will handle larger blade baits and lipless cranks or even the occasional spinner bait?