Belmo

Pullout from Syria

Rate this topic

65 posts in this topic

Will Syria be the thing that causes the Republican rank and file, whose fealty to Trumpism has been a national embarrassment, a stain on the party that will never go away, to break with Trump? 

It's interesting to me, because I thought that the current GOP had no backbone left whatsoever. Any conservative with an ounce of decency (Jeff Flake, Bill Kristol, etc.) has already left, and I figured those who are left, like McConnell and that obfuscating scumbag congressman from Ohio who was on CBS the week before last, was so cynical that there was nothing 

But the pullout from Syria seems to have gotten their undies in a bunch. True, it's a terrible decision, both tactically and ethically (the Kurds, who have been our only real ally in the region for decades, will be slaughtered)... but why now? 

Would someone please explain to me what it is about this that has the cynical Republicans saying, Enough!

I do not think most of us hear have the right answers about this. Like Trump or not, it is an obviously a difficult damed if you do, and damed if you don't. How do you or I know it will work out the way you described above? Could be a great move, maybe not. What would you do? Don't forget Turkey is part of NATO. 

23 hours ago, Belmo said:

Any conservative with an ounce of decency (Jeff Flake, Bill Kristol, etc.)

As for your definition of decency- I think you have it confused. Two self righteous Senators aren't high on my regard as most Senators are not. 

nothing for nothing is there anything left in syria to defend, looks to me just a pile of rubble, that would make "Bedrock" from the Flintstones look very upscale.

3 hours ago, iphish said:

nothing for nothing is there anything left in syria to defend, looks to me just a pile of rubble, that would make "Bedrock" from the Flintstones look very upscale.

It's about defending us from a reorganizing ISIS more than anything. If that doesn't matter at least a little to you, then we shouldn't have fought ISIS in the first place. That's kind of what you're saying I guess...shouldn't have worried about the caliphate.

51 mins ago, patchyfog said:

It's about defending us from a reorganizing ISIS more than anything. If that doesn't matter at least a little to you, then we shouldn't have fought ISIS in the first place. That's kind of what you're saying I guess...shouldn't have worried about the caliphate.

What would be different in your life right now if the caliphate still controlled northern Syria and western Iraq?  What would be different 10 years from now?

1 hour ago, patchyfog said:

There are other elements than the coack roach ISIS, there is also Russia, Assads forces and hezballah  

Its a 4 way war, not just isis who will shoot one way and when they feel over run will begin shooting the other way until they regroup.

2 hours ago, patchyfog said:

Any reorganization of the Caliphate needs to be dealt with via missiles, with absolutely ZERO concern for any civilians that may be in their midst.  If you are part of ISIS, you are guilty.

1 hour ago, MikeM58 said:

What would be different in your life right now if the caliphate still controlled northern Syria and western Iraq?  What would be different 10 years from now?

That's what we said about the Taliban and Al Qaeda, until we got 9/11'd.

21 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Any reorganization of the Caliphate needs to be dealt with via missiles, with absolutely ZERO concern for any civilians that may be in their midst.  If you are part of ISIS, you are guilty.

That's what we said about the Taliban and Al Qaeda, until we got 9/11'd.

Your first comment is completely emotion driven, is never going to happen, and is just bound to make more enemies than we already have.  

We have come a long way in securing the borders and airports than we were during the the days leading up to 9/11.  Terrorist organizations have been running around the middle east for the past 50 years.  There will be another one.  All those unarmed fighters and their families escaping from the Kurd detention centers, where exactly will they be rearmed? Who will organize them.  Where is their rally point to meet up for organization and rearming?  We need to leave.

12 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

Your first comment is completely emotion driven, is never going to happen, and is just bound to make more enemies than we already have.  

We have come a long way in securing the borders and airports than we were during the the days leading up to 9/11.  Terrorist organizations have been running around the middle east for the past 50 years.  There will be another one.  All those unarmed fighters and their families escaping from the Kurd detention centers, where exactly will they be rearmed? Who will organize them.  Where is their rally point to meet up for organization and rearming?  We need to leave.

You speak as if there is a solution to the Middle East.  There isn't.  It is simply a matter of how/where/when you want to lose.

There will not be a solution to the Middle until such time that the rest of Earth has enough and extincts the religion/philosophy/people/nation/whateveryouwanttocallit, or the rest of Earth continues to absorb the abuse until that society evolves into an actual CIVILization.

9 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

You speak as if there is a solution to the Middle East.  There isn't.  It is simply a matter of how/where/when you want to lose.

There will not be a solution to the Middle until such time that the rest of Earth has enough and extincts the religion/philosophy/people/nation/whateveryouwanttocallit, or the rest of Earth continues to absorb the abuse until that society evolves into an actual CIVILization.

ProeyZac and "kill'em all" strikes again. 

You just want to kill everyone who is smarter than you, or believes differently, and looks different than you.  You are a stupid, hateful, pathetic creature.

Edited by FrankStar
Forgot to add hateful

7 mins ago, JoeyZac said:

Read slower Joey, I want to pull out BECAUSE there is no solution over there.  Your "rest of the earth" theory is even bigger pie in the sky.  When has "the earth" ever agreed on anything?