notinuseby

Lead jig heads

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

Thinking of cooking some scrap lead in to jig heads. Gonna work outside and use all precautions. 

Thinking of using some scrap.  The lead will be dirty. Should I skim?  Will it be ok if I don’t?

6 mins ago, notinuseby said:

Thinking of cooking some scrap lead in to jig heads. Gonna work outside and use all precautions. 

Thinking of using some scrap.  The lead will be dirty. Should I skim?  Will it be ok if I don’t?

Doesn't hurt to skim. Few stirs along the side to get all the gunk to float and scoop it up. When I'm out of clean ingots and I use 50/50 tire weights/pure I always skim. 

Just my 2 cents!

Edited by ryanh

need to consider where is your scrap coming from. wheel weights aren't all lead anymore might have some zinc. you will need to separate the lead one from zinc which will be much softer. range scrap has a few other metals your lead will be a bit harder which should be ok get a big old cast iron pot melt lead skim off the crap. make ingots of the purified lead using a small muffin pan; if you don't have a lee pot I melt my ingots on demand in a smaller  4 inch cast iron skillet. you can handle it easier and pour direct into mold