notinuseby

Who’s switching out treble hooks?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, john1234 said:

Skinner put out a video where he replaced the hooks on a talking popper with inline singles and he didn’t hook up on countless hits so singles are a firm negative from me, I will however crush barbs and remove rear hooks.

I saw that vid,i was waiting for him to connect and they kept flipping off the plug.

will give it an honest try again though.

perhaps using a treble I front and the rest singles is the way to go.

I did try this with another plug of mine and it did work out well but,the only hook that held was one of the singles and it dug in deep.

HH

1 min ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I saw that vid,i was waiting for him to connect and they kept flipping off the plug.

will give it an honest try again though.

perhaps using a treble I front and the rest singles is the way to go.

I did try this with another plug of mine and it did work out well but,the only hook that held was one of the singles and it dug in deep.

HH

The singles no doubt get a more solid purchase in the jaw but i think if they slash at the plug it’s not likely to stick.

Single in line or siwash on the back of most plugs. Remove belly hooks when gators are around.

Always barbless.

*i dont like singles on SP minnows or Bombers. Confidence thing.

On 10/7/2019 at 2:10 PM, notinuseby said:

Anyone who’s switching out tremble hooks on their lures. What are you doing?  Singles, doubles, crushing barbs?  What’s working what’s the effect?

I switched out the rear trebles on pretty much all my inshore lures many years ago.

for the smallest plugs like Poppers I’ve gone with a single rear 

I pretty much crush all the barbs as well.

not much difference in hook ups, or drops I don’t think.

hopefully I’m well past the days of needing 2-3 minutes to get a hook out.

on the days when we are catching exceptionally good my guests often land a bunch and then just throw a popper with no hooks for the entertainment value 

I guess I'm different? I don't switch out any trebles on the plugs I fish save for placing a single dressed siwash on the rear of a plug to enhance its action. I don't crush my barbs either. I don't worry about hooking myself and would like to hold on and land any fish that I am lucky enough to hook. I am concerned about the fish too as I unhook them asap after landing with pliers and get them back in the water quickly. I can honestly say that 99% of those released bass swim away. Once in a while I do hook a striper deep and some time is taken to get the hook out. I think that is just a drawback of fishing and using any type of hook even those in single hook bucktail jigs. 

17 hours ago, john1234 said:

Skinner put out a video where he replaced the hooks on a talking popper with inline singles and he didn’t hook up on countless hits so singles are a firm negative from me, I will however crush barbs and remove rear hooks.

I spoke to him about that video at the Striper Day that year. Work in progress but like you I was not impressed with the hook up ratio. 

Any change made to a plug will affect the lure. The only way to determine the effectiveness of any alteration is to test each plug before and after changes, the fish will let you know if the change is a good or bad idea. Anything will work but what works best most of the time? Fish two otherwise identical plugs side by side and you'll come to your own conclusion in due time. Shortcuts are shortsighted in my opinion.

There have been discussions in the past on SOL about switching out trebles. There is currently a thread about crushing barbs. I've been slowly changing over to singles on all lures, saltwater & freshwater. I say slowly because it's expensive.

I still have trebles on some lures, and like others I mash the barbs on all hooks.

I have some lures with VMC Siwash and some with the inline singles. Can't say I see any more losses that I previously saw with trebles. I agree that the singles get a more solid hook up compared to trebles, and when they miss, they miss, not usually snag type hook ups. I'm good with that.

As far as changing lure actions, I had a small jewelers scale, and would weigh the hooks and start with a single that was of similar weight to a treble that I was replacing. That helped a lot to maintain lure actions. On some lures it's more important than on others, as there seems to be a range that as long as I've stayed within, the action doesn't change enough to notice. Those scales are cheap, and a good tool to have if you tinker with tackle a lot. I need to get a new one, the old one crapped out on me. 

However, I've found that many lures as they come from the package, particularly freshwater lures, aren't always sold with the best hardware anyway and too often the split rings are deformed. If it's deformed it's weak and may not have been sized properly to begin with. I feel that some lures also can benefit from a different size hook. 

So, I upgrade and sometimes have to play around with sizes of both hooks & split rings to get something that I feel is correct for the lure & it's action. On any lure that's 5" or larger, I go with heavy type split rings. 

This has been more of a problem on small lures than on large, Striper size lures. Large wood lures seem to be affected less than plastic lures too. 

Even with going to singles, I keep plenty of trebles on hand. For using trebles, I prefer VMC or Owner for larger lures, and VMC or Gamakatsu for small, freshwater lures. 

I've caught at least 100 (mostly schoolie) bass over the last couple of weeks alongside quite a few blues. Here's what I found: 2 of those fish got into trouble with the rear treble and one of those got into trouble with the rear single. All three of those fish were released safely within a couple of minutes because I had my barbs crushed and was able to remove the hooks very quickly. I'm sticking with my guns here and saying that you can use whatever you want as long as your barbs are crushed. Don't get me wrong, in a blitz I'm probably throwing plugs with rear singles, but if I'm targeting larger fish, trebles are the way to go.