notinuseby

Who’s switching out treble hooks?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I've switched to quite a few single inline VMC's but I haven't caught anything on those so I don't know the difference in hookup ratio

A lot of the bass I've caught always end up biting the rear so I only switch out the rears.

Planning on buying some siwash to put on some of my metals

I've been fishing singles for some time now on the belly and rear hook. The hook and hold ration may be a pinch worse than a treble, but it's way friendlier to the fish. Plugs swim just fine.

Great for the fish. Great for the fisherman. But keep in mind when you reduce the number of hooks from 6 to 2 your hookup ration will drop by 66% . Also you may have issues with the front hook catching the body of the plug. Also the lures won't swim the same.  I switched out my trebles for vmc hooks about a year ago.

I had to add some plastic tubing to the front hook to keep it from fouling the plug.

Change out on all new plugs unless they come with VMC's . . . carry plugs with crushed trebles and crushed in-lines.  When on a good schoolie bite will switch to single hook to be less impactful on the fish.  Haven't noticed a discernible difference in hook-up or drop percentage and may eventually go all in-line, IDK yet.  Simple confidence issue.

I've crushed the barbs for years, and recently removed the rear treble from any of my double-treble plugs and put a tail in their place. I also cut off one hook all of my remaining trebles, making them doubles.

I'm still evaluating, but so far I seem to hook up just as often with larger fish, and miss a lot more schoolies, which is fine by me. I fish mostly by kayak, and it is much easier, and less-risky, to unhook fish. Two trebles, and a hyperactive schoolie or blue can be a real hazard in a kayak.

3 hours ago, notinuseby said:

Anyone who’s switching out tremble hooks on their lures. What are you doing?  Singles, doubles, crushing barbs?  What’s working what’s the effect?

I have a few new plugs I made that I tried last seson.

it was just one night and a morning though.

hit 5 fish,landed one.

the one landed had a treble up front with 2 inlines out back,the one hook that was in solid was the inline single and the other plug got slammed 4 times and the fish got off,that one has 3 inline singles that are 7/0's.

not enough time to decide if they are better or not.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 10/7/2019 at 5:35 PM, fishinbill said:

I've crushed the barbs for years, and recently removed the rear treble from any of my double-treble plugs and put a tail in their place. I also cut off one hook all of my remaining trebles, making them doubles.

I'm still evaluating, but so far I seem to hook up just as often with larger fish, and miss a lot more schoolies, which is fine by me. I fish mostly by kayak, and it is much easier, and less-risky, to unhook fish. Two trebles, and a hyperactive schoolie or blue can be a real hazard in a kayak.

yes!  that's on my mind too.

Edited by notinuseby

Skinner put out a video where he replaced the hooks on a talking popper with inline singles and he didn’t hook up on countless hits so singles are a firm negative from me, I will however crush barbs and remove rear hooks.

I’ve replaced all my treble hooks with Mustad Kaiju inline hooks, and crushed all the barbs. I haven’t found any changes to my hook up ratio:

Fish Caught Before: 0

Fish Caught After: 0

No difference!

Been using single inlines for quite a while and I've found almost no difference in hookup ratio.. certainly not a 66% decrease as suggested above.. 

IMHO the skinner video that shows him unable to land fish with singles is due to him using too small of a hook on the popper..

Important to remember that a treble of any certain size weighs more than an inline of the same size.. therefore, when replacing trebles with inlines I like to weigh the treble and then find an inline of a very close weight.. in this way I am not significantly affecting the action of the plug/lure as mentioned above.. if I'm replacing a 2/0 treble its usually with a 4/0-5/0 inline.. larger inlines have zero issues with hookups in my experience..