notinuseby

Shrink wrap to freeze?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, notinuseby said:

Is it worth it?  Is it really better than just baggies?

Yes, it is. It will keep fillets much longer without freezer burn. That's why most of the frozen fish in the supermarket is vac packed. Oddly, even bunker keeps better, I took a bag I had made last month out Sunday, and it didn't fall apart like frozen bunker usually does.

agree with the above. However, if you're REALLY careful about squeezing out the air, rolling & stacking the fish will be just fine for 3 months. 

the reason I asked "what bait?" was that

16 hours ago, notinuseby said:

Is it worth it?

probably isn't worth it for clams or eel skins, but....The very best way to avoid 

13 hours ago, gellfex said:

freezer burn

is to
(1)  Spread the items on an unlined baking sheet so they are not touching each other and freeze them. (The baking sheet helps draw the heat from the items faster)

(2) After freezing solid, remove the sheet to the counter and dip each frozen item in a light solution of water and (sugar or salt), place the sheet back in the freezer, Repeat this process one or two more times. 
(3) Bag the frozen, dip-coated yummies in a zip-lock and don't sweat whatever air is left in the bag. 

5 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

probably isn't worth it for clams or eel skins, but....The very best way to avoid 

is to
(1)  Spread the items on an unlined baking sheet so they are not touching each other and freeze them. (The baking sheet helps draw the heat from the items faster)

(2) After freezing solid, remove the sheet to the counter and dip each frozen item in a light solution of water and (sugar or salt), place the sheet back in the freezer, Repeat this process one or two more times. 
(3) Bag the frozen, dip-coated yummies in a zip-lock and don't sweat whatever air is left in the bag. 

While I always vac fish, I do something similar with slices of peaches from my little orchard. I use a spray bottle to wet them down after the first freeze, and then keep flipping them and refreezing to build up a nice layer. Don't know why you would use sugar or salt water, salt especially will make it harder to freeze!

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Shhh....Now said:

is to

That's what we used to do with mackerel back in the day when we froze them for tuna baits. Only we used Karo syrup.

Edited by MakoMike

23 hours ago, notinuseby said:

What vac packers do you recommend?  Light duty, like 40/50 fish a year. Small kitchen. Where do you like to buy from?

I have a FoodSaver® FM5480 , it stands upright on the counter and doesn't take up much room. It's been going strong now for 4 years. The wife got it, think it was around $150. I don't buy bags from Food Saver, I buy the roll bags on ebay and make to custom size and a lot cheaper.