flyangler

Making Creators of “Gun Free Zones” Responsible for Gun Injuries/Deaths Of Defenseless Citizens

Rate this topic

101 posts in this topic

The gun control cabal wants to make every gun owner responsible for anything that happens with any of their firearms, even after a theft.  They go as far as to say that if you do not safely store your firearm (even without an mandatory law to do so) and it is stolen, you could be responsible for whatever is done with that firearm thereafter. 

The gun control cabal keeps floating the idea of “gun owners insurance” and making such mandatory to possess or carry a firearm. 

So given these ideas of liability and extended liability, what can we say about situations where someone who prohibits you of being able to defend yourself? That is, if you are in a government or private enterprise “gun free zone” and are injured as the result of illegal firearm usage, should the entity that created that GFZ have liability for those injuries or deaths? 

Well, in Michigan, that idea is being raised in a bill that would make those who create GFZ responsible for any gun-related injuries or deaths in those zones. This is interesting and it will be worth tracking. 

Lawmaker Wants To Make Gun-Free Zones Liable If Someone Hurt

Bills would remove governmental immunity, make private zone owners responsible for security

By Tom Gantert   Sept. 27, 2019  

A Republican state representative has introduced legislation that would hold government offices and private businesses liable if anyone is injured during a shooting in a gun-free zone on their premises.

State Rep. Gary Eisen, R-St. Clair Township, introduced House Bill 4975, which would revoke governmental immunity from lawsuits arising from injuries sustained on government property where guns are banned. Eisen is also the sponsor of House Bill 4976, which would make a government, business or individual that designates a property a gun-free zone responsible for the safety of individuals who enter it.

Eisen said the intention was to require a business or government that enforces a gun-free policy to take responsibility through measures like hiring security guards.

“I have to presume that no one will have a gun inside and I will be safe,” Eisen said. “They are telling me, ‘Don’t worry, Mr. Eisen, this is a gun-free zone. You’ll be perfectly safe in here.’ We know that is not the case.”

Eisen said by not allowing him to carry a gun, government and companies that declare their property a gun-free zone could be held liable under his bills.

“If they don’t want to be liable, then don’t put the sign in the window,” Eisen said.

The St. Clair County lawmaker is a firearms instructor who teaches classes for those seeking a concealed pistol license; he also trains people on handling weapons.

Eisen said part of the rationale for his bill lies with a report that 98% of mass public shootings happen in gun-free zones. The Washington Post reported that President Donald Trump recited that statistic in a May 4 speech to the National Rifle Association.

The Washington Post said the figure comes from the Crime Prevention Research Center’s updated 2014 report. That report stated that 98.4 percent of mass shootings from 1950 to July 10, 2016, happened in gun-free zones.

“We call them killing zones, not gun-free zones,” Eisen said.

Neither the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and nor the Giffords: Courage to Fight Gun Violence organization returned emails seeking comment on the bills.

More big state nonsense. I stand by private property rights over this. 

If you are afraid of gun free places, exercise some personal responsibility and don't go there. 

Edited by The Dude

11 mins ago, The Dude said:

More big state nonsense. I stand by private property rights over this. 

If you are afraid of gun free places, exercise some personal responsibility and don't go there. 

If you support gun free zones, you're a ****ing moron. It's literally one of the dumbest ideas ever.

Just now, Mokes said:

If you support gun free zones, you're a ****ing moron. It's literally one of the dumbest ideas ever.

I support the owner of private property to make the determination of that restriction on their own and not by fear of some absurd lawsuit. Don't like it. Don't go there. Some bar owner shouldn't get sued because he didn't want guns in his bar. 

There needs to be a mechanism by which schools and other government institutions are forced to provide adequate security if they are required to be gun-free zones. Apparently piles of dead kids is not enough of a mechanism. 

1 min ago, saltydawg said:

There needs to be a mechanism by which schools and other government institutions are forced to provide adequate security if they are required to be gun-free zones. Apparently piles of dead kids is not enough of a mechanism. 

I can agree with this to a degree. 

3 mins ago, saltydawg said:

I agree,

Governments need to pass some laws to make kids in schools safer.

good call Salty.

1 hour ago, tomkaz said:

Eisen is also the sponsor of House Bill 4976, which would make a government, business or individual that designates a property a gun-free zone responsible for the safety of individuals who enter it.

Remove the liability waiver and level the playing field with those whose premises are not gun free zones. Why should gun free zones enjoy special immunity?

In the event of misfortune and there is a lawsuit, let the courts decide culpability.

3 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

I agree,

Governments need to pass some laws to make kids in schools safer.

good call Salty.

I guess pretending I said something is close enough in nutter land. 

97.8% of Mass Shootings have happened in "Gun Free Zones" and 96.4% (might be off a >very< small %) from 1998 to 2018.

As stated private property of biz owners can and should be able to determine how their private property is used; so avoid gun free zones as much as possible.  Yes Nancy's I well aware that the chances are quite slim I'll ever be involved in a mass shooting, the dead ones thought the same thing, that lady in VA should have listened to her gut instincts.  IMO too many people don't trust their gut instincts/feelings, me I have always trusted them.

Just now, nalu22 said:

that lady in VA should have listened to her gut instincts.  IMO too many people don't trust their gut instincts/feelings, me I have always trusted them.

Situation awareness comes in many forms, at its core is the basic instinct for self preservation, deny that at your peril.

3 mins ago, zybathegeek said:

Situation awareness comes in many forms, at its core is the basic instinct for self preservation, deny that at your peril.

-

Man gut instinct has saved me numerous times over the last 5 decades, it's something I make my kids get in touch with when they ask me certain questions.

20 mins ago, The Dude said:

I support the owner of private property to make the determination of that restriction on their own and not by fear of some absurd lawsuit. Don't like it. Don't go there. Some bar owner shouldn't get sued because he didn't want guns in his bar. 

Like who to bake a cake for?

Edited by Mokes