coastalfreak

Spots to Fish in Mass (Substitutes for Cape Cod Canal)

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, mikez2 said:

Ma is a big state.

Fishermen tend to divide the coast roughly as north shore, boston, south shore and cape.

There are tons of places in all those regions. 

First thing you need to do is figure out which part you plan to stay in. Then you have a region to focus your research. 

I would add the South Coast to that region list. The south coast is more or less the area from Wareham to Westport, ad the beaches are mostly south facing.

31 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

I would add the South Coast to that region list. The south coast is more or less the area from Wareham to Westport, ad the beaches are mostly south facing.

Right. Forgot that.

I’ve been fishing mass all my life, there are plenty of areas you can fish, and a lot of people here believe if you say “cape code” that’s too specific... which area of mass do you plan to visit? There’s a lot of large areas I can point you to without being overly specific.

you aiming for the cape, south of Boston, or north of Boston?

21 hours ago, rst3 said:

Massachusetts doesn't have the fishing pier access that many southern states seem to. We do have a fair amount of jetties, and many people fish bait off them.

I'm not the person to ask about finding bait and wait spots, but if you decide to try artificials for bass, I started to find spots when I first got into things by looking for bait concentration and current around outflows: rivermouths, tidal creeks, harbor entrances, etc. Often the dropping tide is better but not always.

Using Google earth/maps to find these spots makes it easier. And many outflows have jetties on each side that you walk out on and cast from.

And excluding the Canal from the conversation, it's easier to find good fishing spots than to find parking access for them. That said, state and national parks are usually a good parking bet, especially in daytime. Town beaches have variable parking policies, and many require a day time fee or a permit in summer. 

7 mins ago, bdowning said:

And excluding the Canal from the conversation, it's easier to find good fishing spots than to find parking access for them. That said, state and national parks are usually a good parking bet, especially in daytime. Town beaches have variable parking policies, and many require a day time fee or a permit in summer. 

Good point. It's often much easier to find fishing spots by satellite than it is to park there.

@OP

That's why we tend to protect our honeyholes from spotburning online, because the real quality spots that also have parking access are somewhat few and far between. So blowing them up online does nothing but send a stampede of fishermen to the parking lot and spots.

That being said, if you describe where in Mass you are looking to fish, some kind people on this board may PM you some more specific info about potential spots.

Alright, so what about bait? Again, I'm just fishing for whatever bites so I do not really care. I'm a multi species guy so I would try to catch as many species as possible regardless of size. Is clam a good bet? 

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

Good point. It's often much easier to find fishing spots by satellite than it is to park there.

@OP

That's why we tend to protect our honeyholes from spotburning online, because the real quality spots that also have parking access are somewhat few and far between. So blowing them up online does nothing but send a stampede of fishermen to the parking lot and spots.

That being said, if you describe where in Mass you are looking to fish, some kind people on this board may PM you some more specific info about potential spots.

Amen. 

52 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Alright, so what about bait? Again, I'm just fishing for whatever bites so I do not really care. I'm a multi species guy so I would try to catch as many species as possible regardless of size. Is clam a good bet? 

Much depends on time of year. From shore around here, depending on time of year, you are looking at winter flounder (Bolded winter, cause I know down south flounder are what is generally called fluke up here, i.e. summer flounder), Scup (porgies), Tautog (blackfish), Blue Fish, Striped Bass, Boston Mackerel, Fluke (your summer flounder)...

And then depending on location, conditions and water temps, false albacore, bonito, grey trout (weakfish), Spanish Mackerel, and a few others I am forgetting.....heard of blowfish, and tommy cod and sea mullet (northern kingfish), and then a lot of strange migrating stuff that often times doesn't belong here....... Most of those are on the south facing beaches, as things change a LOT (currents, water temps, etc) once you go north around the elbow of the Cape at Chatham.

And of course cod but from shore unfortunately these days it is rare and seasons and regs are extremely tight.

So as to bait, well, take your choice depending on your target......Pogies (bunker) mackerel, seaworms (sand worms), squid (which at certain times you can fish for as use for food or bait), clams, green crabs for tautog, and likely other things I am overlooking.

So, you have a wide array that is kinda hard to advise unless you know time of year, location, and preferences.

Edited by Steve in Mass

51 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Frozen squid is the universal bait. Easy to use, easy to find, affordable and dang near everything will eat it.

On 10/7/2019 at 6:24 PM, mikez2 said:

Ma is a big state.

Fishermen tend to divide the coast roughly as north shore, boston, south shore and cape.

There are tons of places in all those regions. 

First thing you need to do is figure out which part you plan to stay in. Then you have a region to focus your research. 

Or better yet, go to CT.