coastalfreak

Spots to Fish in Mass (Substitutes for Cape Cod Canal)

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

As a southerner, I have never been more North in the mainland than Washington DC. I would love to get up to Mass and Maine eventually. I know the canal kinda sucks right now and unfortunately I don't have any interest in going there with the current state. Anyhow, are there piers in Mass that are good? Or surf spots? I would just bait and wait, small hooks to catch as many cool species that I can. Don't know when I'm going but potentially next summer. Yes, long ways away but you can't plan to early. :) 

Coastalfreak,

I appreciate your interest. But be prepared for a lot of vague replies. The Ma Forum has strict rules prohibiting revealing specific locations, aka spot burning. Given the viewership on SOL, a nice honey hole can turn into a zoo overnight. :)

Hi CF     You have a lot of posts, so you know what the sites about.   

If I were you I'd put some time in the Mass Forum and you'll eventually glean through conversation were to fish.

Another good way to find what you're looking for would be to pick up a subscription of OTW and they'll be tons of info given there for you to plan your next trip to New England and you'll have a ton of fun researching it.  Good luck   Fly

17 mins ago, bob_G said:

Coastalfreak,

I appreciate your interest. But be prepared for a lot of vague replies. The Ma Forum has strict rules prohibiting revealing specific locations, aka spot burning. Given the viewership on SOL, a nice honey hole can turn into a zoo overnight. :)

Directions:

Drive east

Find water

Cast. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Coastalfreak,

My apologies. I had no idea. 

7 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

My apologies. I had no idea. 

No need to apologize, you did nothing wrong. I was just preparing you if the responses were less than inspiring. :)

Actually I think it's a great thread.....Shows there is more to local SW beach angling than just CCC zombies...........:th:

Edited by robc22

Massachusetts doesn't have the fishing pier access that many southern states seem to. We do have a fair amount of jetties, and many people fish bait off them.

I'm not the person to ask about finding bait and wait spots, but if you decide to try artificials for bass, I started to find spots when I first got into things by looking for bait concentration and current around outflows: rivermouths, tidal creeks, harbor entrances, etc. Often the dropping tide is better but not always.

Using Google earth/maps to find these spots makes it easier. And many outflows have jetties on each side that you walk out on and cast from.

3 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

As a southerner, I have never been more North in the mainland than Washington DC. I would love to get up to Mass and Maine eventually. I know the canal kinda sucks right now and unfortunately I don't have any interest in going there with the current state. Anyhow, are there piers in Mass that are good? Or surf spots? I would just bait and wait, small hooks to catch as many cool species that I can. Don't know when I'm going but potentially next summer. Yes, long ways away but you can't plan to early. :) 

If you are willing to chase other types of fish you can always find them from many of the jetties available along our coast line and in some areas the piers as well . The south side beaches offer one the opportunity to chase fish while using bait . In the spring we have some locations that offer up flounder and that would be closer to the beaches near Boston harbor. This time of year smelt fishing can be found i isolated locations from many of the inner piers again in some locations other then the cape . Mackerel is what I am waiting for here along the bulkheads inside the canal for example .  Toutog in the spring run on bait can be productive if you are willing to put in your time as well as scup and sea bass . along some of the south facing beaches as well as blue fish that have seemed to do a disappearing  act of late, but it is still time to get in on the fall run at some beaches. I know these are general bits of information, however when you decide to come here and actually fish give me a shout if i am still able I would be more than glad to get you started in the right direction. In the meantime as has been suggested do a little search project here and you will find perhaps more answers to your questions. I also once  planed my trips far enough in advance, especially if you are planing to camp in a rough situation or rent a cottage . We have severel camp ground close by that offer space for those fishing that can make your experience more worthwhile Peace

4 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

As a southerner, I have never been more North in the mainland than Washington DC. I would love to get up to Mass and Maine eventually. I know the canal kinda sucks right now and unfortunately I don't have any interest in going there with the current state. Anyhow, are there piers in Mass that are good? Or surf spots? I would just bait and wait, small hooks to catch as many cool species that I can. Don't know when I'm going but potentially next summer. Yes, long ways away but you can't plan to early. 

It is frowned upon giving exact spots on this site. If you had 30 pounders on you street would you post it here?Are you thinking of coming to mass or just posting?

Sometimes it is best to use the search function or post a question in a different way. Like hey what bait would i want to match at spot A?

There is so much reading you can do here.

Think about where you will be and do a little recon, the fish do almost the same thing every year.

Pm me when the time comes and we might be able to catch a tide.

Good luck 

Any river mouth, rocky beach, deep drop off or point should hold fish. As others said, use google maps. There are endless places to fish on the cape and in MA.  Id suggest finding a couple spots all in one route and fishing them all in a night or something

Ma is a big state.

Fishermen tend to divide the coast roughly as north shore, boston, south shore and cape.

There are tons of places in all those regions. 

First thing you need to do is figure out which part you plan to stay in. Then you have a region to focus your research. 

On a beach I fish near the ma/ri border if you put a strip of squid on a small blackfish hook and a 2oz sinker you can catch a bevvy of types of fish.  Probably all small, but this time of year ive caught tog, seabass stripers and dogfish all in the same evening. 

Mung can be a problem tho. And at night make sure there isnt some one wading out in front of you before casting :^0