RobG922

Is this a leaking quad seal? vsx150

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

 

I know there are already a few posts regarding this topic but none really show the same situation as mine. This is from a brand new vsx150 after the first time I fished it. Is this normal? There doesn’t seem to be any oil in rotor at the bottom of the spool shaft like others experienced, mine appeared on the underside of the rotor. This is my first VS so bare with me. Thanks in advance 

0E13CE13-50AA-4204-8D55-EB699D0CFD8C.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, hobobob said:

No that's not normal, contact van staal for a warranty repair.

I was hoping you wouldn’t say that . Thank you

Edited by RobG922

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears your fishing the reel, so buy a service kit. That's not normal, you have a leaking seal as suspected. The reel should be broken down and serviced today with all new seals. At the very least opened up and flushed out, cleaning it with WD40.

 

Since its new, send it back, or bring it to a VS certified reel tech. 

 

Here a video on servicing your reel

Lou T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 mins ago, Lou T said:

It appears your fishing the reel, so buy a service kit. That's not normal, you have a leaking seal as suspected. The reel should be broken down and serviced today with all new seals. At the very least opened up and flushed out, cleaning it with WD40.

 

Since its new, send it back, or bring it to a VS certified reel tech. 

 

Here a video on servicing your reel

Lou T

Dang that stinks. Seems like a lot of people do away with oil and go with grease 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 mins ago, RobG922 said:

Dang that stinks. Seems like a lot of people do away with oil and go with grease 

I would prefer grease. It’s. Fishing reel not and engine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The entire reel is flushed out  ( cleaned with oil ), on assembly it's greased and all the bearings are oiled. That's the VS way.

 

Some people, grease and have a oil bath in the main gear chamber.

 

In order to get a photo like that, you where using it in the water. Good for you

 

You going to like that reel

Lou

 

 

Edited by Lou T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the reel brand new, or new to you? 

 

It appears to being a oil water mix coming out of that reel.

Lou

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 mins ago, Lou T said:

Is the reel brand new, or new to you? 

 

It appears to being a oil water mix coming out of that reel.

Lou

 

 

Hey Lou, yes the reel is new. Unfortunate turn of events but things happen. I love the reel otherwise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I would have to guess, it would the main seal that failed, not the quad shield. Not user serviceable.  If you are in long island, the nearest authorized service center is saltwater tackle in west islip.  Give em a call or pay them a visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RobG922 said:

Hey Lou, yes the reel is new. Unfortunate turn of events but things happen. I love the reel otherwise.  

No worries, it will be all good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RobG922 said:

No none at all

Well that’s interesting - if it’s a seal failure, that’s where I’d expect to see the most oil/grease. It could be that there was just some excess grease applied between the body & flyer & when it got wet, it leached out of the seam between the two as you’ve shown. Probably best to have someone look at it though just to make sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.