GetDaGaff

Selling a home

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

So I'm looking to sell my home. It's paid off and I don't want to use a realtor. What are the steps needed when I find a buyer? I'm hoping the Lakewood Religious folks will make me an offer as they own the lot next to me. Can I just sign it over if someone comes up with a cash deal. I want to sell it as is and be done with it. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Thanks

4 mins ago, GetDaGaff said:

So I'm looking to sell my home. It's paid off and I don't want to use a realtor. What are the steps needed when I find a buyer? I'm hoping the Lakewood Religious folks will make me an offer as they own the lot next to me. Can I just sign it over if someone comes up with a cash deal. I want to sell it as is and be done with it. Anyone have any suggestions or tips?

Thanks

Yes, my suggestion is to not listen to anyone's advise here. *

put up a sign in front yard saying "this is a safe house for injections" or "Welcome to the new Methadone Mile resort" or just draw chalk outlines of bodies on the walkway up to the front door and toss a few religious or political pamphlets around them. That would help weed out some undesirables...

Seriously, consult a real estate lawyer to make sure you're covering all the important points.

Edited by FishermanTim

Buyer will want title insurance so you'll have to deal with that, sign affidavits, file IRS forms, etc. Title company will handle most of that but they won't prep seller side docs.

Selling a residential home in a retail transaction, particularly if no financing is needed is one of the easier transactions out there.  In fact what usually gums it up, is a dumb part time soccer mom real estate agent on one end of the transaction or the local retail lawyer.   I just agreed to terms on a cash deal for some property..took us like ten minutes to negotiate like gentlemen and shake hands on terms...sellers attorney disappeared mid process for 5 weeks..screwing things up. 

Nice of you to burn down your neighborhood selling to one of the religious folk in Lakewood, get a lawyer familiar with their tricks and have proof that 100% of the funds are in an account in the UNITED STATES and available....I would include that in terms of contract. 

Just finished selling by owner. What you do want is a lawyer to draw up a contract when you find a buyer (find a lawyer first) and then you can move ahead with closing. My closing costs including lawyers fees were around $2K.  Biggest obstacles are buyers that aren't qualified and realtors making your life inconvenient with prospective buyers and many phone calls. Buy a 7-Eleven phone with a dedicated number and keep that as your house selling phone, use it only for that. My best advice is to get an independent appraisal so you can justify your price. I had 3 realtors come in and look, they gave 3 different estimates from $418Kto $310K, I sold for $400K, no mortgage. Realtors are not appraisers.  My buyer had an inspection done, of course they pick out crooked nails and other meaningless things that justified the inspection, I allowed $3K for the repairs.

Sounds easy and it is if you are reasonable,