Daddo50plus

How much mono backing?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Have Diawa BG 4000 reel; 15 lb (.48mm) Stren mono for backing; 30 lb (.28mm) J-Braid (330 yd spool). Want to split braid for 2 reels (165 each.) Reel holds 190 of 15 mono or 280 of 30 braid.  How much mono should I put on to leave room for 165 yds of braid and still have 1/8" of spool left? Retrieve rate on reel is 39.9" per handle turn.

Wind yr braid on, knot on yr mono - wind 'til yr at 1/8" & cut mono.

Now wind the whole setup 2x, 'til the mono is 1st - arbor or equiv. knot on spool & wind it all up.

Some of us want a bit more braid so we can cut back & finetune so NO bird's nests

Make sure you comment to the ASMFC by 5 Pm today !!!!!!!!!!!

What frazerp said above ^, Post #2.  Start with an empty spool, put on ½ your braid, tie-on mono backing and fill spool to desired level, 1/8” from top edge of spool is good enough, tie mono to a stout bush or whatever, then walk off the entire spool, disconnect braid from base of spool and tie braid to anything strong enough, walk to the other end and tie the mono end to the base of the spool, then finally, reel on the mono/braid as though you are fighting a big fish.  Done! And your line is spooled nice and tight.

After a several years of use then reverse your braid and that will last you another couple of years.

And you might ask,”How do I know when I got half the braid off the store's spool??  Fortunately for me, I can borrow my wife’s 100’ tape measure she uses to measure off her high school soccer fields.  I then measure off 450’ from fence post to fence post, or whatever.  I use Fireline braid which is sold in 300 yard spools.  That’s 900’, divide in half and you get 2 lengths of 450’, that’s enough for 2 reel spools.  So somehow you’ll need to figure out how far half a spool of your brand of braid will go.

The retrieval rate, inches per each turn of the reel, will vary substantially as the reel fills, so don’t rely on that to accurately measure your line.

After several more years pass you may want to replace you braid completely.  When that time comes just strip off the old braid back to the knot with the mono and the tie of the new braid and wind it on to within 1/8” of the top of the spool and once again you are done.

13 mins ago, HJS said:

And you might ask,”How do I know when I got half the braid off the store's spool??  Fortunately for me, I can borrow my wife’s 100’ tape measure she uses to measure off her high school soccer fields. 

measuring distance/length w/o a tape is not difficult,your stride(two steps) is equal to your height,I do the same thing as frazer but w/ flyline and backing

2 hours ago, frazerp said:

Wind yr braid on, knot on yr mono - wind 'til yr at 1/8" & cut mono.

Now wind the whole setup 2x, 'til the mono is 1st - arbor or equiv. knot on spool & wind it all up.

Some of us want a bit more braid so we can cut back & finetune so NO bird's nests

Make sure you comment to the ASMFC by 5 Pm today !!!!!!!!!!!

This is time consuming and annoying but worth doing

10 wraps of mono backing and fill er up with braid! Why the hell does anyone want to make the most basic thing complex. With all the money we spend on rods , reels , tackle and vehicles why get cheap with freaking line?

Well... it's not that complex.  I measured off my 450' in my back yard over a decade ago.  You only have to do it once, just remember where both ends of the 450' are located.  Then for the next many years just tie on new braid at the mono/braid knot.

I'm not that rich, I got time but not a lot of money.  Make my own lures and buy most of my equipment for cheap at fishing shows and flea markets.

Stated Capacity: 280yds of 30lb J Braid 

Desired Amount: 165yds of 30lb J Braid

Amount Remaining: 115yds of 30lb J Braid

Backing Diameter: .48mm (.018")

Braid Diameter: .28mm (.011")

pi(.011/2)^2*115=pi(.018/2)^2*x

X = 43 yards of mono backing.  

Now remember not all of the stated numbers will be exactly accurate.  I'd put 40 yards on and call it a day.  

Edited by TLap21

14 hours ago, Daddo50plus said:

You know, you are probably right Pakalolo. Mahalo. So why the mono at all?

You should use a mono backing to prevent braid from slipping. However, I find most of these responses way over complicated. Wind on some mono until the spool is covered, and then fill the rest with braid. With the amount of competition in the braid market, it's become much more affordable, and you can use it for many seasons before a decrease in performance.

Edited by C.Robin

If you buy line in bulk spools, it pays to have the correct amount of backing on there to ensure you don't end up with a less than ideal amount of braid left at the end.  

If you have a 1200 yard spool, you could put the right amount of backing to have 150 yards of braid, which would give you (8) fills per spool.  

If you have  a 1200 yard spool, and just guess the amount of backing, you could have 170 yards of braid, which would give you (7) fills, and leave you with ~85 yards of useless braid remaining. 

You only have to do it once, and it saves money.  Seems reasonable to me! 

Edited by TLap21

As per the manufacturer it takes 285 yards or 30lb braid.  285 yards - 165 yards = 120 yards equivalent of 30lb braid.   Compare by cross sectional area of line  120 yards * (.28mm)^2 / (.48mm)^2 = 40.8 yards.  The change in diameter also changes the packing efficiency (ie percentage of small air gaps between line), so I always put a bit less than this equation.  so maybe 35 yards.........

39.9" per handle turn is based on a full reel.  If the inside diameter of an empty spool is 1/2 of a full spool, then your closer to 20" per turn.......