BillHoo

Was fishing this summer 2019, Better or worse than last year?

Rate this topic

Was fishing this summer 2019 Better or worse than last year?   29 members have voted

1. 1. Was fishing this summer 2019, better or worse than last year?

• Much better
    • Better
    • About the same
    • Not as good
    • Worst ever

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

13 posts in this topic

Just looking for opinion of this past summer.  Better or Worse for fishing along the Jersey shore?

Please vote in the attached poll.

Edited by BillHoo

I didn't get to fish much due to the joys of home ownership and scheduling conflicts but it seemed like a down year. The spring was terrible in the river. 0 striped ones came out in 10 strips and almost no catfish/perch.

decent spring for bass pick up personal best bass from surf ( 46lbs) fluke was way off keeper wise for me. to many 17 3/4 inch fluke. past 2 weeks have been decent for bass to 28 inches in back. hopefully after this blown some more bass will move down.

I would have to put this into seperate catagories because as for fluke that gets a thumbs down but as for the bonito, spanish macks, mahi, cobia, it was pretty good. I just see summer as fluking and it was a bust for keeper to fish just being caught ratio.

Spring was ok but not as many blues and bass as pevious years. June seemed promising for flounder but that was short lived. July and August were horrible for flounder. I don't even think i averaged a fish an hour. If it wasn't for the invasion of 1 lb. blues August would have been more of a bust than it already was. I need a kayak. 

I normally fish Mon. & Ocean Counties, the beaches that were replenished were  not productive for me and stopped fishing those area. Other areas front &  back.. I have been catching small fish with a lighter outfit.  Hopefully bigger fish will show in a couple of weeks. Good luck!  catch and release.

On 10/8/2019 at 0:04 PM, FunkyBunker said:

Spring was ok but not as many blues and bass as pevious years. June seemed promising for flounder but that was short lived. July and August were horrible for flounder. I don't even think i averaged a fish an hour. If it wasn't for the invasion of 1 lb. blues August would have been more of a bust than it already was. I need a kayak. 

I heard lots of fluke just shy of 18 inches.

Maybe next year there will be a bumper crop of keepers?

Eh,  I really feel that was a lot of hype this year as it may be be ever year ai guess. I can say 2 summers ago, and the one prior to that, yes, I had actually caught a lot of fluke, short short but actually a large amount of ones just short. This past summer, fluking sucked for me. I fished spots that in the past should have produced, as they have in the past ... just was less going on in a number of places. I had even incorporated a handful of new spots, and I dont know, felt like some of the most time-wasting fishing, it was genuinely frustrating. Dont get me wrong,I still  caught some, but it just got sort of old catching little ****ts. Blues were the holdover for well over a month, every day day, every time but they were also the thing that kept me from being able to fluke fish, but a holdover nonetheless

18 hours ago, BillHoo said:

I heard lots of fluke just shy of 18 inches.

Maybe next year there will be a bumper crop of keepers?

In my halfassed fishing log i totaled only 34 flounder from 62 outings June to end of season. Only got on a boat 1 time this year, and that day was the best quantity wise. Mostly short 11"-14" for me, just a few 15"-17" and 2 keepers. Wasn't finding any consistent bites and only a few dropped fish. Heard of lots of throwbacks this season from boats. Bottom structure change has been a bit of an issue around here past few years. Plenty of sand buildup in back bay spots after dredging 3 times in 5 years. 

This year for me was incredible, I pulled more keeper fluke, and large summertime stripers from June-September than I ever have in my life. I accidentally discovered a killer technique while messing around, the techniques actually goofy, my girlfriend who doesnt know anything about fishing invented it and from there on out, I only got one or two skunks this whole summer, and part of is was because I was at a new beach and couldn't find any good holes and somehow went during a low tide with salps. I cant share the method on here, because I dont want to be swarmed with guys doing the same thing as me next year, but if u ever see someone fishing with a comical setup and catching fish on the beach, I'll be glad to share as I always am with anyone who's respectful and shows an interest in our great hobby as opposed to internet strangers lol.

This summer in particular for me was so hot, that I was literally catching stripers during prime crowded beach hours in some cases, almost always fish in the 18-25 inch range though so not too many massive fish, just rod benders. I'd be lying to you if I said it was all skill though. I think a large number of resident stripers stayed the summer in the 5 mile radius I usually fish, and I had the pattern perfect to what they were feeding on. I'd guess between me, and the people I fish with, we pulled atleast 100-200 stripers from June-september. Which I'm pretty sure is a blessing I am very grateful for. I fish a beach not many fisherman go to, and I was lucky enough to basically have unpressured fish all summer. 

As for fluke, It really was a year of shorts, I talk to just a few anglers I regularly encounter on the beach, much more older and knowledgable guys than me and I learned alot from some of them, and they all agreed it wasn't as good this year. However, there was plenty of fish over 18 around, you just had to be out there to get them like anything else in life, or just do what half the other people do and take fish at 15 inches (joking). I never measured my fluke really, but I'm guessing after reading other reports, I hit many of those 17.5 inch fluke, so maybe not as many keepers as I thought. Anyway, heres a pic of one of my biggest striper from I think july or June. Hopefully I can finish 2019 with an even bigger one. 

Screenshot_20191011-145604_Snapchat.jpg