GoneCoastal

Mustad treble hooks for plugs

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 7794 vs the 3651. I like the Barb style on these vs the VMC counterparts. Wondering which of the two would be better based on your experiences. Thanks 

14 mins ago, GoneCoastal said:

Can anyone tell me the difference between the 7794 vs the 3651. I like the Barb style on these vs the VMC counterparts. Wondering which of the two would be better based on your experiences. Thanks 

Did you mean the Mustad 3551? I hadn't heard of it, and a Google search didn't turn anything up. If you are referring to the 3551, then my personal advice would to stay far, far away from bronze hooks.

24 mins ago, SC said:

Mustad 3561E (I think maybe your #'s were scrambled) has a longer shank I believe

That would be correct. Coffee hadn't kicked in yet. Do you recall your preference ? Thanks 

As SC mentioned it’s 3561E.  Good treble  IF you can find some of the old stock which were cadmium plated and tinned.  Cadmium plating is now  not permitted and new stock doesn’t use it.  

1 hour ago, DZ said:

As SC mentioned it’s 3561E.  Good treble  IF you can find some of the old stock which were cadmium plated and tinned.  Cadmium plating is now  not permitted and new stock doesn’t use it.  

Thanks Dennis, I have been searching out the Cadmium hooks whenever possible. Recently scored some NOS jig hooks in this style. 

mustads will get rust on the first time OTW.

I stopped using them when they changed them.

many moons ago they were solid hooks now,,,,they will have light rust when you go look at them the next day.

HH