dannyplug1

Stupid things I have done .......fishing related

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Exactly why I always keep an emergency pouch in my truck! One leader, a tin, a shad and SP minnow. JUST in case lol

Im going to have to do that, I just found out I have some secret compartments in my truck that a plug bag can snugly sit in then approx 2 3700 planos on otherside. 

It wasn't all that bad though, I had a spoon tied on managed to catch 1 schoolie and 1 lizardfish before i snagged my only lure lol

Edited by kombi_rs

This year I had a first timer on the boat. Got into a solid bluefish/bass bite (mostly bluefish). Hooked a decent fish and passed the rod off to the newbie. He was so giddy that I just quickly grabbed his rod and put it on the deck. He ended up landing the fish and was super excited. Took a couple good pics and Started up the boat to reset the drift. Went to grab the rod I had left on deck and it was no where to be found. Still don’t know if a fish grabbed it or what happened. Worst part was it was my dads birthday present that ended up in the drink.

1 min ago, kombi_rs said:

Im going to have to do that, I just found out I have some secret compartments in my truck that a plug bag can snugly sit in then approx 2 3700 planos on otherside

Dont forget a bucktail too

Headed to my spot to chunk. Basically a death march. Set up and go to grab a pyramid... dang left the stinkers on the patio when I cleaned out the bucket the day before. Pack up, death march back to the car, decent drive to the tackle shop, drive back to the beach and death march back to the spot and of course death march back to the car at the end. Wasted a solid hr but did double my exercise for the day.

Few things: 

1. Caught my first bluefish, luckily it was just a little snapper, and looked at the teeth and didn't even think about them. Finger SLOWLY bled for like 2 hours. Fun. 

2. Was fishing at my buddies pond. Good day, but the whole day I had this voice in my head telling me not to fall in. We pack up to leave on his little dock, and I trip and go right into the drink. Was wearing my pretty new Timberland hiking boots. Water was freezing and it took me a while to get out. Black boots were now green with algae and my phone flooded and never recovered despite the rice. 

3. On the pier at Tybee Island when a ladyfish took my bait. Cool, except for the fact that I forgot to set the drag and I watched helplessly as my Nasci 3000 and BPS rod was dragged off the pier into the water. Ladyfish jumped and I saw my rod than poof: gone into the horizon. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm not gonna be able to top you idiots.

Last spring, hour and a half drive to the back bay, plan was to cross a certain tidal creek then wade out on the muddy flats.

Left my boots at home.

Went anyway in the stocking foots. My toes were in a constant clench grip the whole time :)

Edited by Buckscorider

9 mins ago, Buckscorider said:

I'm not gonna be able to top you idiots.

Last spring, hour and a half drive to the back bay, plan was to cross a certain tidal creek then wade out on the muddy flats.

Left my boots at home.

Went anyway in the stocking foots. My toes were in a constant clench grip the whole time :)

That's rite up there on the top.

I noticed my leader had gotten abraded so I tied a new one in, attached a popper to the clip then cut the tag end of the line. I go to cast the popper and the lure goes flying off. I had cut the main line, not that tag. 

On the Vineyard and had some time to kill before dinner, so walked down to the wall on East Chop (near where the road collapsed) and was throwing some cut macks I had leftover from the morning. 

Time to leave so I pack up and go to the edge to reach down and rinse off my bait knife. I’m in flip flops and down I go into chest deep water. 
Would have been fine if the ferry hadn’t been cruising by and people on deck were pointing and laughing at me. 

When I first learned how to tie an fg knot I was at one of my favorite spots out back. Standing at the edge of a bulkhead that leads into an inlet. I notice my finishing knot of the fg starting to look like it's unraveling. I say to myself it'll be fine for at least a few more casts. Next cast my favorite, most productive, blurple sp minnow, with well over 100 bass on it, goes soaring into the sky. It lands in the water just out of my reach, but the water on the other side of the bulkhead is way too deep to try to wade in to find it.

12 or so years ago I had just picked up a new st croix legend tournament bass rod. I was putting line on the reel I had for it and inadvertently stuck the tip of the rod into my ceiling fan. Luckily, bc st croix is awesome, they replaced the rod for free. I was even 100% truthful about what happened when I called them. The woman on the other end laughed at my stupidity and said no problem, a new one is on its way.

Didn`t pay attention to the slight noise from right beside me, at my first night fishing ( 1 hour into the night, only ).

No wind and I am thinking the wind is moving nylon bag at which the feeder mix ball is on.

about 200 grams. My next move to take a chunk, and there is none. Wtf.. my thoughts are, looking, thinking the steps earlier.

In a few moments I am looking towards the rock at 4 feet from me, and there is a small chunk of it. Eaten and pulled, by te rat. Which later on protruded his head from the rocks, smirking at me.

The dumbest thing I have ever done fishing was to go fishing the first time. 

We were in our early twenties and were bass fishing from a jonboat in a farm pond when we realized the boat was going in the opposite direction from the wind. We pulled in the stringer and had a big ole snapping turtle working on the fish at the end. None of that is stupid. What happened next was. 

I don't use nets much any more. They seem to inspire bad ideas. We had a net, and the next thing you know, the turtle is upside down in the net in the bottom of the boat. The top of the dam was clear and mown, so we set the turtle "free" in the middle of the cleared area, meaning it was no longer in the net. 

I do recommend offering a snapping turtle a good sized stick to see what happens. I do not recommend doing it repeatedly over a period of time. I now know every action a turtle makes as it winds itself up into a blind rage. 

I also know what happens when the top comes off the teapot. Those suckas are fast, and it was hilarious when it took off after my buddy. It was not hilarious when it took off after me. Those suckas are fast, and that sonofagun ran me all the way back to the jon boat, where it held me at bay. All good and well, except that my buddy was not in the boat, too, and the turtle had his path cut off. 

Twenty minutes later, with a full sheet of particle board prepared for the glue, we finally got back to fishing. I leave snapping turtles alone today. 

Then there was the time, same boat, same buddy, same pond, when he though it would be a good idea to splash a hornets nest with the paddle. It is not a good idea to splash hornet's nests. 

But all of that pales in comparison to my decision to go fishing  in the first place.