dannyplug1

Stupid things I have done .......fishing related

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Went through the car wash with surf rods on car.   Good news no breakage and boy are they clean.  Boy am I dumb.  Wonder if my Vsr 175 has water in it?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Charted a boat in Montauk captained by a guy who wrote a book called The Little Yellow Bus Which became a film called  Trainwreck: My Life as an Idiot. The boat sank, well it almost sank.  If it were not for me, my brother in law and nephew working feverishly to bail the water until the coast guard rescued us.  

Edited by Birdsnester

Posted (edited) · Report post

Were you in the book?

Not sleeping for days i leave tackle bags behind.  Three times now. 2 x at ccc.  Once in Va beach

I lost some really expensive stuff.

Edited by Captain Ahab

Believed myself when I said "I really dont need to buy anything else fishing related this year"

Lmao

Thats crazy though, amazing nothing broke and even more amazing nobody said anything!

I was retying some leaders on my 2 piece surf rods at home and then grabbed my surf rod drove a hour + to my fishing spot only to find out that I had tied the leader with the base of one surf rod and the tip of another surf rod.   I realized what happened when I could not fit the pieces together ....

End of a long day shark fishing.  We finally hook up with a little mako, maybe five or so feet long.

I have a relatively green shark fisherman on board, and I figure that this was the perfect fish to use for his first lesson on how to properly wire a fish.  He puts on the gloves and does a reasonably good job handling the leader, but despite my instructions, he's standing in the wrong place, and I can't get next to the side of the fish's head to cut the leader, which I like to cut as close to the hook as possible.

Instead, I have to put my hand right in front of the mako's head to cut the leader.  I tell myself not to be stupid, because I know that the fish is probably going to react badly when I try to cut the leader right next to the hook.  I tell myself that only an idiot would put his hand in front of a mako's face, and that I should tell the guy on the wire to step closer to the stern so that I can get in the right position to make a safe release.

But it's the end of the day, and we're going to go home as soon as the fish is tagged and released, so even though I know better, and pretty well know exactly what's going to happen, I lean over the side, get the pliers around the leader loop holding the hook, and start to squeeze.

So far, so good.

But I had left my good pliers home, and picked up a pair of cheap Calcutta pliers at my marina's tackle shop to get me through the day.  I squeeze, and the pliers won't cut the wire.  So I figure they just need a little help, and give them a fug...

At that point, all I see is teeth and white water.  I yank my hand out of the way, but was just a little too slow, and now have a sort-of attractive trident-shaped scar running the length of my right thumb.

I lost quite a bit of blood, too, until I managed to wrap a bandage around it.  But that's the price that you pay for being incredibly, willfully, and knowingly dumb.

Left 2 surf bags behind- recovered one. 

Left the surf bag home-drove 70 miles to the salt-December-fully loaded 3am-in desperation searched my van and found a silver cordell pencil. I had no confidence it that plug for the conditions-but no choice.  Caught my first surf striper at sunrise- over 40". SO-good & bad story.

Brought the same-non working reel on vacation with the family-2 years in a row. 

I know there are more.

I put my leftover bait ( peanut bunkers) in our fridge. when i get back home from work days later...  guess what??

my mother cooked it for dinner. YUMMY!!!

I use ski racks on top of my truck for my rods.  One day I was heading to the marina with probably 4 rods, mostly st croix legends with pricey reels (twinpowers/van staals).  Marina is about 15 minutes away down a 50-60mph highway.  As I'm pulling into the marina everyone is staring at my car (more specifically the roof).  When I get to my boat to attach the trailer I see what they were looking at: I never closed the ski racks so the rods had just been bouncing around on the roof of my car the whole ride.  Very lucky I didn't lose them.

Another one:  I was running around breezy point NY in the boat looking for albies by myself.  I have a tendency to run the boat hard and fast (my buddies jokingly call me "white knuckle charters") and I was wearing some old (very old) deck boots that had completely lost their treads.  It was kind of sloppy out and after coming down off a wake my foot slipped, and as I slipped my hand caught the throttle pulling it back and immediately stopped the boat causing my face to smash the console at about 25-30 mph.  Couldn't feel anything on my face for a few seconds but touched it with my hand and it was completely covered in blood.  I looked down and I was just gushing blood down the front of my jacket.  Thought I had lost my teeth but "luckily" all they had done was cut clean through my bottom lip.  Did some quick onsite first aid aka just disinfecting and jamming gauze in my mouth.  Figured thats it for fishing, turned around and slowly made my way back to the dock about 40 minutes ride bleeding the whole way, had the wife meet me with some superglue, put my face back together and called it a day.  

Thats just 2, im sure if I really thought about it i could come up with 100.  Fish long enough or spend enough time on boats you can pull of some really dumb ****.

Packed up all my surf rods/gear in my Yakima rooftop carrier and made the 10 hour drive down to OBX for the week. Got there and realized I left the keys at home. :banghd:

While driving, in-between fishing spots, client calls.  Get to my next spot, get of my truck while continuing the conversation.  Open the tail gate, close tail gate and make my walk through the sand dunes (about 1 mile).  Reach my spot, say good-bye to my client and realize I don't have my rod, bag or belt.

One morning I wake up grab my rods and coolers then head out to the truck immediately drive 2 hours to my fishing spot only to forget my 23 quart bin I usually leave in my truckbed that's full of my tackle and gear. 

17 mins ago, kombi_rs said:

One morning I wake up grab my rods and coolers then head out to the truck immediately drive 2 hours to my fishing spot only to forget my 23 quart bin I usually leave in my truckbed that's full of my tackle and gear. 

Exactly why I always keep an emergency pouch in my truck! One leader, a tin, a shad and SP minnow. JUST in case lol