Kanine Kleenup

So if the size limit rises to 35..

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, TLap21 said:

I still admire your restraint if you’re telling the truth. No way I would be able to resist casting into a school of huge breaking fish! 

Out of curiosity, is this for all species or just SB? 

Saltwater: I catch primarily to eat for most species. Does not mean I won't target smaller fish for C&R.

Freshwater: C&R all but trout

Canal = FOOD, otherwise I won't be alone in that "can't resist breaking huge fish"  mayhem...which pretty much will ruin my experience dealing with other fishermen frenzy.

On rare occasion.. having the experience to myself, and time on my hands..sure I would stay and fish, after my keeper...and not walk away.

Edited by FishRatz

4 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

If you notice that the presentation you are pitching to juvenile fish is in fact causing harm to them common sense should then kick in (which in 2019 is rare to come across...); you should be making an effort to find a presentation that wont be getting "inhaled" by smaller fish to the point they're choking it...Throw a larger plug on and sort through the smaller less likely fish whom wont bother hitting a larger bait and if they do it wouldn't result in a choke job...But that's just coming from someone who's been there done that..I cant tell you how many times I've sat and "de-Hooked" spooks just in this season alone strictly to watch schoolies toss a spook around versus chancing gill hooking or gut hooking one of those fish.  For me fishing is an escape and is more than just having my rod bent. And I think most of us on here feel that very same way; I cant tell you how many 10+ hr outings I did last year (2018) fall season where I could say I landed a 36-40" fish maybe once out of a time frame of which mentioned above.  But those nights were some of the most memorable due to either conditions, sightings, good friends/making new life long friends...that's what this past-time is supposed to be.. All I've witnessed in my short window of time I've been exposed to the "Striper Community" (for the most part "newer aged fishermen mostly); is that this incredible passion is nothing more than a "Chest-Beating" match.  When guys contradict a fishing story I may have just finished telling; by starting off by listing the number of big fish that they've gotten into or caught in the weeks past i can tell you right then that they've lost my attention... I don't care about that stuff, yeah hooking into nice fish is what we are all about and what we strive for but to make a competition out of something that should be relaxing and self enduring nahhh that's not what being a bass fishermen is all about.

So tell me what presentation is less likely to kill a schoolie than a single hook bucktail or a six inch single hook paddle tail. I guess that point was lost on you, they still inhale the bait from time to time. The only way to not kill fish even with the best intentions is just staying home. So if someone believes there is no blood on their hands then they probably just don’t fish much. 

21 mins ago, giggyfish said:

So tell me what presentation is less likely to kill a schoolie than a single hook bucktail or a six inch single hook paddle tail. I guess that point was lost on you, they still inhale the bait from time to time. The only way to not kill fish even with the best intentions is just staying home. So if someone believes there is no blood on their hands then they probably just don’t fish much. 

Bud; you obviously didn't take much from the statement made prior... When fish start to inhale your setup you up the size of whatever you're throwing especially swimming plugs; I'd take the buck-tail out of the picture completely unless being retrieved in a non jigging manner thus quickly retrieving not allowing the fish to inhale it. Many practical ways of avoiding unnecessarily injuring schoolie bass. Do your own person research/reading...could be helpful for you.  Common sense to instantly go bigger on presentations when you are getting small bass on every cast a bigger profiled bait keeps them at bay and give a larger fish the opportunity to strike. 

2 mins ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Bud; you obviously didn't take much from the statement made prior... When fish start to inhale your setup you up the size of whatever you're throwing especially swimming plugs; I'd take the buck-tail out of the picture completely unless being retrieved in a non jigging manner thus quickly retrieving not allowing the fish to inhale it. Many practical ways of avoiding unnecessarily injuring schoolie bass. Do your own person research/reading...could be helpful for you.  Common sense to instantly go bigger on presentations when you are getting small bass on every cast a bigger profiled bait keeps them at bay and give a larger fish the opportunity to strike. 

Is it possible that we just have a lot more anglers in the surf and boats now and modern gear and The inside scoop from social media have made it a skillless endeavor?

6 mins ago, john1234 said:

Is it possible that we just have a lot more anglers in the surf and boats now and modern gear and The inside scoop from social media have made it a skillless endeavor?

I mean I have an avid 3 solid straight years of knowledge, fish, and self-education behind the species in which is all i target strictly for the thrill. Do I own all the high ended gear...yes; does that make me know EVERYTHING there is the this fishery absolutely not.  But i do however possess enough of my own collected information and have done countless hours of my own leg work and research to understand that when small fish start inhaling your presentation then your common sense light bulb should instantly shine on....Hmmmm, time for a 7-8" swimmer, larger bucktail with a longer trail teaser at a quicker retrieval rate....just some basic SB fishing knowledge LOL. But i do agree with you 110% John; way to many guys out here whom pick up the hobby/sport and think they know but truly don't.. Don't get me wrong it takes time and boy lots of it and self dedication to truly come to appreciate and understand these fish. The guys that get it are the ones who live,breathe,and sleep with SB in their souls like myself and those who feel that way about this fish truly get it and get how delicate of a resource it is...Cheers

Edited by SouthCoastSurfFishermen

23 mins ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

I mean I have an avid 3 solid straight years of knowledge, fish, and self-education behind the species in which is all i target strictly for the thrill. Do I own all the high ended gear...yes; does that make me know EVERYTHING there is the this fishery absolutely not.  But i do however possess enough of my own collected information and have done countless hours of my own leg work and research to understand that when small fish start inhaling your presentation then your common sense light bulb should instantly shine on....Hmmmm, time for a 7-8" swimmer, larger bucktail with a longer trail teaser at a quicker retrieval rate....just some basic SB fishing knowledge LOL. But i do agree with you 110% John; way to many guys out here whom pick up the hobby/sport and think they know but truly don't.. Don't get me wrong it takes time and boy lots of it and self dedication to truly come to appreciate and understand these fish. The guys that get it are the ones who live,breathe,and sleep with SB in their souls like myself and those who feel that way about this fish truly get it and get how delicate of a resource it is...Cheers

If we could get everyone to think that way I think we would have a smaller problem on our hands, It comes down to respecting the resource.

18 mins ago, giggyfish said:

Wow three whole years. 

if you’ve never had a 20 inch fish inhale a huge bait then I just can’t explain my point to you. 

You must be a blast to have a constructive conversation with..Seeing as how we are giving pointers in such circumstances you find yourself injuring bass...3 yrs or 30yrs experience would know the information thats been given to you.

Short of removing the hooks from your spook, you too are injuring bass. I’ll learn from anyone and don’t imply that I know everything, that is for sure but to say that you don’t harm fish because you are strictly catch and release is just asinine. 
Aggressive bass no matter what the size inhale baits of all sizes. Sometimes they only get it in the throat sometimes they get it in the gills. If I go to spot and it’s only rats I do upsize but sometimes it still doesn’t matter. If it continues I go somewhere else rather then pound fifty schoolies in a row. I respect the resource, I still kill fish, sometimes on purpose and my family enjoys them sometimes they are short when it happens and I’m sure the crabs enjoy them. 

7 mins ago, giggyfish said:

Short of removing the hooks from your spook, you too are injuring bass. I’ll learn from anyone and don’t imply that I know everything, that is for sure but to say that you don’t harm fish because you are strictly catch and release is just asinine. 
Aggressive bass no matter what the size inhale baits of all sizes. Sometimes they only get it in the throat sometimes they get it in the gills. If I go to spot and it’s only rats I do upsize but sometimes it still doesn’t matter. If it continues I go somewhere else rather then pound fifty schoolies in a row. I respect the resource, I still kill fish, sometimes on purpose and my family enjoys them sometimes they are short when it happens and I’m sure the crabs enjoy them. 

Agree, I've had 20 inch bass try and inhale 12" mackeral and moving is the best way to avoid catching 50 schoolies. If I'm only catching shorts I'm outa there. Bass tend to school with similar size fish. Sure you may grab a lazy larger fish lurking below a school of shorts but imo your better off moving to a better spot.

12 hours ago, FishRatz said:

I'm a 'one and done' meat fisherman...(I guess as being labeled here)

And whether you agree with that mentality, is not for debate. I like to eat fish and I'm not depending on it.

The point is, the new size limit will enforce keeping one, much harder to do.

So, I start C&R with 28"...30"...32"... still not there yet...34"???.... keep trying....Ah finally a 35"!!

I just increased the number of fish released....and thus 9 percent died....more died than needed after my first 28" fish.

And I'm now late to work..cuz I only fish canal weekdays....get home to clean the fish...

Most people C&R a chitload of 24-27 inchers right now for those very rare one n done meat guys to get a keeper. 

That wouldn't change, just shift to a new dominant class at 32- 35.

Meanwhile a bunch of 28-34 inch fish (minus 9%) will be saved to breed multiple times before they grace your freezer.

Also, let me be the bad guy, again. I'll say it.

Making it hard to catch a keeper is a GOOD THING! Make those unskilled duffers quit and go home. Let em fish for scup. More fish and more room for the rest of us.

Edited by mikez2

32 mins ago, giggyfish said:

but to say that you don’t harm fish because you are strictly catch and release is just asinine. 

Who said that?

15 mins ago, giggyfish said:

Implied

There's a lot of education needed out there on ethical C&R.

C&R mortality will never go away but it could be greatly improved by education. For all the hating we all do on social media, it is a powerful tool for education. 

Start by calling out the Grip n Grin pics so many share.

Do you even need a pic of a 24 inch bass?

Do you need your fingers in his gills?

Rolled in sand?

Etc.

A little restraint goes a long way too. Striper thumb used to be cool to brag about. Now I see it as excess. Nobody needs to hook 50 schoolies in one night.

I know, that's a tough sell. Probably an ole guy thing. I'm not so hungry anymore. Still, I gave up my traditional Memorial Day grilled striper quite a few years ago. Didn't hurt a bit. Especially when I admitted to myself it was more about showing off than enjoying a meal. The fishes' lives are worth more than my ego boost.