Kanine Kleenup

So if the size limit rises to 35..

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

26 mins ago, MakoMike said:

All of you high and mighty C&R fishermen do realize that you are killing more fish than the so called meat fishermen?

I guess that would be an accurate statement if the meat fisherman caught a keeper on the first cast and immediately packed up and left.  Because no meat fisherman actually catch undersize fish before a keeper or continue fishing for fun after catching a keeper.

3 mins ago, MakoMike said:

The majority of striped bass mortality in the recreational fishery comes from released fish that die after release. Many more fish die after release than are kept by recreational fishermen. Have you not seen the graph yet?

2017 Striped bass mortality.jpg

I understand but I release 100% of my catch vs someone who keeps a Bass and releases the rest. They atomatically kill the fish they keep and some of the fish they put back die as well. Some of the fish I put back die and that is an unfortunate side effect of this blood sport, The point is I do what I can to ensure the fish has the best chance of survival and practice release 100% even on bleeders because the fish has a much higher chance of survival if it’s bleeding profusely and it’s released than it does when it’s laying up on the rocks. So yes released fish die but the most guaranteed way to kill a Bass is to keep it.

18 mins ago, MakoMike said:

The majority of striped bass mortality in the recreational fishery comes from released fish that die after release. Many more fish die after release than are kept by recreational fishermen. Have you not seen the graph yet?

2017 Striped bass mortality.jpg

I call BS on those stats. Why was the dead release percentage so low in 2010 but so high in years like 2006 and 2017.  It’s all based on percentages and averages but why is it fluctuating so much each year. Why is not 48% every year if that’s the current magic number. Also no one really has any idea how many fish are actually caught, killed, eaten, poached etc. 

24 mins ago, MakoMike said:

All of you high and mighty C&R fishermen do realize that you are killing more fish than the so called meat fishermen?

I might be high, but not mighty. 

I get your point, rec anglers kill the most. I don't dispute that.

I cut down my own number of trips, imposed a personal moratorium on harvest ( I used to eat low numbers) and use personal ethics to decide to fish a particular setting, i.e. walking away from micros, walking away from fish on the easy nights, bare minimum of fish photos, no bait etc.

These are choices. I don't ask others to apply my values. I'm talking here about my opinion, what I like or dislike.

35" limit for rec anglers is a very good idea in my opinion, biased by the success of the last round of regs.

35 appears to be on the table right now.

The need for elimination of the rec/com harvest is my opinion and doesn't seem to be on the table. 

The only reason I'm beating up on it now is the fact that nobody can shut up about poaching at the canal. My contention is that the rec/com market profit is the driving force behind the grey and black market. 

They wouldn't be taking them if they couldn't sell them.

33 mins ago, john1234 said:

I understand but I release 100% of my catch vs someone who keeps a Bass and releases the rest. They atomatically kill the fish they keep and some of the fish they put back die as well. Some of the fish I put back die and that is an unfortunate side effect of this blood sport, The point is I do what I can to ensure the fish has the best chance of survival and practice release 100% even on bleeders because the fish has a much higher chance of survival if it’s bleeding profusely and it’s released than it does when it’s laying up on the rocks. So yes released fish die but the most guaranteed way to kill a Bass is to keep it.

Point is still the same you and fishermen like you kill more fish than the guys who keep their fish. If you really want to insure a much higher chance of survival, its simple, don't fish for them! :)

21 mins ago, z-man said:

I call BS on those stats. Why was the dead release percentage so low in 2010 but so high in years like 2006 and 2017.  It’s all based on percentages and averages but why is it fluctuating so much each year. Why is not 48% every year if that’s the current magic number. Also no one really has any idea how many fish are actually caught, killed, eaten, poached etc. 

You can call them anything you like, but those are the official numbers and those are the numbers that will be used to manage the fishery. The dead release percentage is the same every year, e.g. 9% of the total releases. The year to year fluctuations are because the absolute number of fish caught and killed or caught and released varies from year to year.

4 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Point is still the same you and fishermen like you kill more fish than the guys who keep their fish. If you really want to insure a much higher chance of survival, its simple, don't fish for them! :)

How do I kill more fish than someone who keeps and releases fish if I only release? 

16 mins ago, MakoMike said:

You can call them anything you like, but those are the official numbers and those are the numbers that will be used to manage the fishery. The dead release percentage is the same every year, e.g. 9% of the total releases. The year to year fluctuations are because the absolute number of fish caught and killed or caught and released varies from year to year.

How is it possible to come up with this info?

29 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Look at the chart. It’s clearly not 9% dead release every year.  Some years the yellow (dead release) is a quarter of the gray (rec harvest) and other years it’s almost equal. Were fisherman more gentle with their releases on some years or did people just keep almost all the fish those years?  It’s BS. 

32 mins ago, nateD said:

Same way they model US elections within +-3%.  Polls and modeling. 

You know, math n' stuff.

58 mins ago, john1234 said:

How do I kill more fish than someone who keeps and releases fish if I only release? 

Not you personally, but you as a class of strictly C&R fishermen.

31 mins ago, z-man said:

Look at the chart. It’s clearly not 9% dead release every year.  Some years the yellow (dead release) is a quarter of the gray (rec harvest) and other years it’s almost equal. Were fisherman more gentle with their releases on some years or did people just keep almost all the fish those years?  It’s BS. 

Obviously you weren't a math major in school :) The dead release is a function of the total number of fish released times 9%, it has NOTHING to do with how many fish were kept. 

35” will save the fishery. It did once before   Poaching needs to be stopped. C & R is good. Seals kill more than C & R fishermen. I’m sure of that. Fix the seal problem. Why so critical of C & R people? Stop fishing ? Who the f are you ?

54 mins ago, nateD said:

The estimate is based on several things, mainly survey sent out via mail that as about effort and dockside intercepts that actually count and measure the number of fish caught.  Obviously its more complicated than that, if you want a detailed explanation try visiting https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/topic/recreational-fishing-data

12 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Obviously you weren't a math major in school :) The dead release is a function of the total number of fish released times 9%, it has NOTHING to do with how many fish were kept. 

Actually I am pretty good at math and common sense. During banner years where there were a high number of fish kept then there should also have been a high number of fish released.  2010 shows only like 15% dead release. Did all Anglers join together and decide to kill almost everything they caught that year?  It doesn’t make sense. It looks like the estimating criteria was changed each year or something.