Kanine Kleenup

So if the size limit rises to 35..

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, mikez2 said:

You mean different from the privileged white guys with full time jobs who insist on killing precious breeders so they can cash in on their hobby? Maybe upgrade their high end tackle?

Is that the society F&G is targeting when they set up a sting on the day before the commercial opener?

I’m not sure where you are going with this conversation.  I’m saying that many people at the canal use fishing as a means to survive unlike most of us on this website who fish for fun.  It’s a completely different group people than you see fishing most other places. They fish the canal because it is the easiest place to catch meat from land. 

Also for the record I am 100% against commercial striped bass fishing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, z-man said:

I’m not sure where you are going with this conversation.  I’m saying that many people at the canal use fishing as a means to survive unlike most of us on this website who fish for fun.  It’s a completely different group people than you see fishing most other places. They fish the canal because it is the easiest place to catch meat from land. 

This incredible place called "Your Local Supermarket"- was created to feed families.  Not a quick 45 minute ride to the nearest body of water to pillage what natural resource calls it home for a short period of time....poor excuse. "Means of survival"- LoL

Edited by SouthCoastSurfFishermen

13 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

No id on you when caught breaking the law should result in an instant arrest, a check of your immigration status, and then the appropriate fines, court dates, and if applicable, an actual deportation.

No ID, then arrest and hold while they check your mug shot against EVERY unsolved crime in the area over the past, say...20 years??? Then maybe they suddenly learn to speak English?

Then....after all that you hit them with a fine that covers all the man hours spend checking on them....

3 mins ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

This incredible place called "Your Local Supermarket"- was created to feed families.  Not a quick 45 minute ride to the nearest body of water to pillage what natural resource calls it home for a short period of time....poor excuse. "Means of survival"- LoL

I’m not saying I agree with their means of survival but that’s the truth.  

7 mins ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Exactly....If I was an EPO I’d tell them they should spend less time raping the fishery and more time finding work if the food in their family’s fridge is so dependent upon their ability to evade the Environmental Police while out fishing. By their logic I should be able to walk into you’re garden and pick everything or go drive around the Blue Hill’s  at night and pop a bunch of deer, That is so long as it is to "feed my family”.

36 mins ago, z-man said:

Cool. I appologize. I believe I misread you personally although I stand by my take from a big picture point of view.

I readily admit I shouldn't be arguing the canal culture having not fished there since 1984 when it was bait for blues at slack and nothing else. 

I don't like commercial/recreational and I don't like hypocrites who sell fish for fun while trying to blame others.

I jumped to that conclusion when you mentioned a "different society".

21 hours ago, DZ said:

The brunt of a 35 inch limit will fall upon the honest  surf fisherman who likes an occasional bass for the table. 

I'm willing to take the brunt, we all should be

1 hour ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Whatttttttttttttttt?  Many people fish, hunt, raise gardens and livestock to feed their families, my self included...…………………….

2 mins ago, b-ware said:

Whatttttttttttttttt?  Many people fish, hunt, raise gardens and livestock to feed their families, my self included...…………………….

Do you do it illegally though or use that to as an excuse to break the law? 

54 mins ago, nateD said:

I'm willing to take the brunt, we all should be

That's what I'm talking about. 

I quit killing them already. Won't hurt me a bit.

I got a buncha kids and grandkids that grew up on my stories. I want them to have the same chances I did.

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

That's what I'm talking about. 

I quit killing them already. Won't hurt me a bit.

I got a buncha kids and grandkids that grew up on my stories. I want them to have the same chances I did.

I’m fully C&R now as well and it’s the only option as I see it.

All of you high and mighty C&R fishermen do realize that you are killing more fish than the so called meat fishermen?

6 mins ago, MakoMike said:

All of you high and mighty C&R fishermen do realize that you are killing more fish than the so called meat fishermen?

Please explain........

16 mins ago, john1234 said:

Please explain........

The majority of striped bass mortality in the recreational fishery comes from released fish that die after release. Many more fish die after release than are kept by recreational fishermen. Have you not seen the graph yet?

2017 Striped bass mortality.jpg

5 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I'm on shaky ground here in that I don't go there myself, but, that don't tally with my observations from afar.

First, I personally know half a dozen guys which are the model for my description of a C&R guy looking for drag pull. They saw the youtube, saw 2 out of 3 SOL threads, decided to go look for love.

I know for a fact they wouldn't have gone if they could get decent size fish elsewhere. 

Second, if everyone is a meat fisherman, does everyone quit as soon as they get that easy keeper?

You're saying everyone is breaking the law?

I don't do the canal. Even the youtube vids don't do it for me. But my kid begs to go there because he hasn't yet got a decent size striper. If I ever break down and bring him, it will be understood that it was C&R no matter what. We just want drag, not meat.

I gotta believe I'm not alone.

Speak up canal C&R guys! Is it true everyone is there to kill?

I fished the canal once in my life. (Not worth the ride for me plus I hate crowds) Plenty of big fish are caught at plenty of places other than the canal. It’s no secret that poaching happens down there. That being said there’s plenty of poaching going on everywhere. I witness it all the time on the northshore. The difference between a poacher and someone practicing C+R  is one is a law breaking scumbag and the other is a law abiding fisherman.