Kanine Kleenup

So if the size limit rises to 35..

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

..................….I'm gonna learn the polish term for "no speak English" so I don't have to obey the law.

Nie mowie Angielsku.        ;)

I don't think things are as bad as they were in the 80's. But they are bad. I think going to 1 fish at 35" and make canal catch and release. Cancel commercial season . 

51 mins ago, mikez2 said:

That's a good point. Courts are overloaded to the point that one prosecutor is famous for not prosecuting.

Probably a stretch to think stealing fish will make the serious crimes designation.

If the fines are too low, how about adressing the elephant in the room no one wants to hear about?

They wouldn't risk the fines if they weren't making money off the fish.

Guys fishing for the table can not afford slap on the wrist fines, nor do they want to risk getting tied up with the law, where everything from drugs to immigration comes into play.

Nope. The poachers are the ones making enough $$$$ to handle a fine.

Take away that market, those guys go away.

I agree that getting rid of the commercial market will eliminate much of the poaching (probably won’t stop the guys that sell directly to restaurants or sell it in their own restaurants). However, I also think that the commercial fishing lobby is too strong in MA to give up that market.

Other states take wildlife conservation very seriously - and it works. MA just doesn’t have the stones or brains to do it right. Poachers are stealing from the state and its people. Try stealing from the MA DOR and see what happens. 

The EPO have the authority to seize everything used in the act of poaching.... and I think we are at the point, at least at the canal, where that should start happening. Start taking tackle, rods, reels and cars/trucks and this poaching stops. Far from cruel and unusual punishment - it happens all the time across the country, just not in our state. 

14 hours ago, Bwstriper44 said:

I second that and the 35” limit just make it harder or more challenging depending on your point of view for the honest person 

Correct. Pass any law you want, a law is only as good as the people that choose to follow it....

26 mins ago, The1true1 said:

Correct. Pass any law you want, a law is only as good as the people that choose to follow it....

Enforcement ultimately dictates who follows it. No enforcement- no one follows it. Texting and driving is a perfect example. It doesn’t get enforced and therefore no one follows the law.

35 mins ago, The1true1 said:

A law is only as good as those chosen to ENFORCE it as well, if not more.

Changing the size limit will only effect those that follow the rules. Poachers either can't read/understand the rules or choose to flagrantly give the rules the proverbial "middle finger" because they know that they WILL get away with it.

13 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

The solution is penalties that are so horrific that people live in fear of even thinking about it.

Everyone gets 1 warning, with the penalty for a first offense being a day in "fishing school," kinda like driving school.

In "fishing school," you will learn, in no uncertain terms, that a second offense will, without question, result in jail time, fines, and if at all possible, deportation.

"Fishing School" doesn't end until you pass the written test where you can state in your own handwriting all of the consequences.

Sound ridiculous?  Well, do you guys want to actually stop the problem, or just bitch about it?

Make it a "mandatory" F&G conservation ecological education class that they have to pay for themselves.

Then make sure they understand that failure to follow the rules from that point forward  (for a period of, say 10 years) will result in fines and probable prison time.

Unfortunately, the laws have as much backbone as a jellyfish.

Allow the EPO's to confiscate gear, then auction it off to help fund the department for new staffing.

One thing a lot of people forget. Back in the early 80s when the 36" law was implemented, it still took a decade before we realized results. 

If passed, the 35" reg is not a quick fix. Far from it. We'll have to live with it for years. This is providing the fish have successful spawns and the biologists are able to document a healthy YOY (young of the year) crop.

Caught poaching 10 year loss of fishing permit in MASS and hefty fine should discourage those A holes or a tag system so those guys who drop fish at home and come back later he’d to attach the tag to the fin and Cannot double dip....

1 hour ago, FishermanTim said:

Make it a "mandatory" F&G conservation ecological education class that they have to pay for themselves.

Then make sure they understand that failure to follow the rules from that point forward  (for a period of, say 10 years) will result in fines and probable prison time.

Unfortunately, the laws have as much backbone as a jellyfish.

Allow the EPO's to confiscate gear, then auction it off to help fund the department for new staffing.

Might work but definitely not in RI lmao we have less than a handful covering the entire state. RI DEM is a joke

5 hours ago, mikez2 said:

That's the most assanine thing I see here repeatedly. 

Guys get away with crime because they don't speak English. 

Silly.

Because there's no such thing as a translator. It's too difficult. Might as well let em go.

I'm gonna learn the polish term for "no speak English" so I don't have to obey the law.

It might sound silly but it is true. Some of the EPOs don’t want to deal with the hassle of the no speak English crowd knowing that they will just get off with nothing or a slap on the wrist when they see a judge. 

The 36" did take time Bob,but I don't think we are as far gone as we were 30 years ago. It may take a while but every little bit helps. If we all do a little. 

Huge fines and confiscating gear is a possibility, but not for a first time violation, unless the first time violation is so egregious it warrants it. An honest error can happen. 

There has to be consistency in enforcement. Not a couple EPO blitzes each summer, then you don't see them again till next year. Fishermen have to feel that there's a good chance they'll be checked each time out. 

Licenses need to be checked. When I worked for the town, it was mandated shellfish licenses we're to be worn. When a constable doesn't see a license, that give him a perfect reason to go speak to the shell fisherman. Check his license, does the license match his name, and in the process check his catch, if he has a guage, is his basket legal.  Violations and warnings we're written on the back of the license for future reference to other officers. At the end of the day all violations and warnings we're logged into the DNR data base at the office.

The EPOs could don't his, but they don't.  All cruisers are equipped with laptops. That data can be filed with a few keystrokes.