Kanine Kleenup

So if the size limit rises to 35..

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

The solution is penalties that are so horrific that people live in fear of even thinking about it.

Everyone gets 1 warning, with the penalty for a first offense being a day in "fishing school," kinda like driving school.

In "fishing school," you will learn, in no uncertain terms, that a second offense will, without question, result in jail time, fines, and if at all possible, deportation.

"Fishing School" doesn't end until you pass the written test where you can state in your own handwriting all of the consequences.

Sound ridiculous?  Well, do you guys want to actually stop the problem, or just bitch about it?

6 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

The solution is penalties that are so horrific that people live in fear of even thinking about it.

Everyone gets 1 warning, with the penalty for a first offense being a day in "fishing school," kinda like driving school.

In "fishing school," you will learn, in no uncertain terms, that a second offense will, without question, result in jail time, fines, and if at all possible, deportation.

"Fishing School" doesn't end until you pass the written test where you can state in your own handwriting all of the consequences.

Sound ridiculous?  Well, do you guys want to actually stop the problem, or just bitch about it?

Lol, Have you ever heard of the eighth amendment?

6 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Sounds awesome. Would probably work to solve poaching as well.

Unfortunately will never happen. We live in a day and age of supporting those who commit “crimes of poverty.” The first person that sees jail time or deportation for “trying to put food on the table,” would be the last, regardless of what class they took and what contract they signed. In fact, the whole program would probably be deemed racist as well.

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, robc22 said:

I agree that fines shouldn’t be excessive. However, they also shouldn’t be less than the value of the fish that were poached. Seeing someone poach 60 keeper bass and then get pee pee slapped with a $500 fine is a joke.

I see no problem with a fine that is 3-5 times the market value of the fish poached. If someone wants to poach 60 $80-100 dollar fish, I don’t think it’s inappropriate to hit them with a $10k-$20k fine. Especially not after they’ve taken a class and acknowledging what they’ve done and what future repercussions will be. 

Edited by JTR

Wish the CT/RI/MA environmental agencies could go through some of these awesome ideas. I love the whirlpool of ideas and actions set forth for individuals whom deem it acceptable to strain are natural resource to the point of a re-evaluation due to lack of breeding stock.  I must say; making the species a "game fish" for a good 5-10 year slot would definitely  make a substantial growth in overall numbers.....BUT this means nothing without heightened enforcement presence and all anglers whom target this species much register into some sort of registry. This way here if you are out on an outing and an EPO/DEP officer approaches you and runs your credentials you both are aware of the fact that you're in accordance of the regs and laws against possessing the species. If you get caught possessing fish and not registered; boom 1500$ first offence fine + mandatory court appearance.  Caught fishing for the species without reg tags; 250$ fine first offence... But obviously all these ideas and brainstorming all come down to one major fundamental.....Enforcement.  Hopefully something happens soon because; myself only being in the sport for over three seasons (Fully invested/fishing hard 12 months a year---strictly C&R); Ive seen nothing but scary trends and patterns in my own obtained stash of data and logged catches. So hopefully with the recognition on a state and federal level that there is indeed a problem behind the seven striped unicorns #'s that serious actions come in the future or we can kiss this beautiful species good-bye.

9 hours ago, john1234 said:

I’ve noticed a lot of noob fisherman in the Boston area that clearly got into this obsession because of the past few seasons at the canal....generally when a noob shows up and starts fishing right next to me he’s got a Kmart special and he’s throwing a big guppy pencil in a Mac pattern,  A giant savage sandeel in a Mac pattern or a XL magic swimmer. I’m sure they throw these because it’s what they see on social media and it’s what worked that one time they went to an epic canal blitz and caught some bass......But they can’t get down to the cape this week so they go out and throw a 5 oz savage sandeel into 3-4 feet of water on some tidal flats and expect to catch something.....so basically the epic skill-less fishing down there has sucked a lot of guys who would never fish if they had not gotten the instant canal gratification and it’s apparent everywhere.social media has really jacked things up.

At the end of the day if a guy who wouldn't have fished gets excited by social media and gets poor equipment and strikes out at the canal what does it really matter?

1 hour ago, JTR said:

Sounds awesome. Would probably work to solve poaching as well.

Unfortunately will never happen. We live in a day and age of supporting those who commit “crimes of poverty.” The first person that sees jail time or deportation for “trying to put food on the table,” would be the last, regardless of what class they took and what contract they signed. In fact, the whole program would probably be deemed racist as well.

No speaky=no tickey

I support the 28-35” slot, because I enjoy keeping a few fish during the season to eat. That is the keeper range of most shore and kayak anglers (who don’t frequent the canal) and it would be a real bummer for the state to prevent our ability to keep a fish or two during the year. The poaching s__tshow at the Canal surely has an impact on the fish counts and the people complying with the regulations are being punished as a result.

1 hour ago, TonyO said:

No speaky=no tickey

That's the most assanine thing I see here repeatedly. 

Guys get away with crime because they don't speak English. 

Silly.

Because there's no such thing as a translator. It's too difficult. Might as well let em go.

I'm gonna learn the polish term for "no speak English" so I don't have to obey the law.

2 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

At the end of the day if a guy who wouldn't have fished gets excited by social media and gets poor equipment and strikes out at the canal what does it really matter?

It’s not that they strike out.....Its that they go there and abuse the fishery and have little respect for it and that spreads wherever they go versus guys who are really “about” this passtime and understand etiquette and respect for other anglers. Of course this is not everyone that got hooked from 2017 and forward on the canal bite but I’m trying to paint a picture of what I have noticed recently that has not been around in previous years. When 30 lb’rs are busting 2 feet from the rocks for weeks at a time and you could practically bow fish them if you wante It sucks a lot of “ normal” people in and the second you have to work for fish they disappear.

4 hours ago, robc22 said:

Theft of $200 in properly will get you a year in jail in pretty much every state. In a Three Strikes jurisdiction, you could get life in prison.

Posted (edited) · Report post

29 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Theft of $200 in properly will get you a year in jail in pretty much every state. In a Three Strikes jurisdiction, you could get life in prison.

In MA, larceny under $1200 is a misdemeanor and barely even gets you a slap on the wrist. In Boston, you won’t even get prosecuted at the current point in time, unless you have have proven to be a habitual criminal. No chance that someone in MA does a year for misdemeanor larceny.

That said, I love the idea of charging these poachers with felonies when they take more than $1200 in fish.

Edited by JTR

6 mins ago, JTR said:

In MA, larceny under $1200 is a misdemeanor and barely even gets you a slap on the wrist. In Boston, you won’t even get prosecuted at the current point in time, unless you have have proven to be a habitual criminal. 

That's a good point. Courts are overloaded to the point that one prosecutor is famous for not prosecuting.

Probably a stretch to think stealing fish will make the serious crimes designation.

If the fines are too low, how about adressing the elephant in the room no one wants to hear about?

They wouldn't risk the fines if they weren't making money off the fish.

Guys fishing for the table can not afford slap on the wrist fines, nor do they want to risk getting tied up with the law, where everything from drugs to immigration comes into play.

Nope. The poachers are the ones making enough $$$$ to handle a fine.

Take away that market, those guys go away.

No jail, imo.  We already have way too many people in jail for "victimless" crimes.  

I'd much rather have our roadsides and coastlines being cleaned up than having people sitting in jail on the taxpayer's dime, while contributing to the over-crowding related early releases.  Not to mention free labor for dock repairs, beach stairs, boardwalks, etc.  Force them to do something constructive, rather than another expense to the taxpayers.  

Seize all things associated with poaching.  Vehicle, boat, fishing gear, etc. and make the offenders do public service hours.  Proceeds from the auctioned items go to preservation and conservation efforts.  

Make the penalty not worth the risk of being caught.  A fine for less than the value of the fish is clearly not a deterrent.