Kanine Kleenup

So if the size limit rises to 35..

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

C&R mortality is an issue but the annual harvesting of fish and illegal fishing are the main issues by some margin. Not addressing these main issues will see the stock crash. Its not like this hasn't happened before?

1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

Also, let me be the bad guy, again. I'll say it.

Making it hard to catch a keeper is a GOOD THING! Make those unskilled duffers quit and go home. Let em fish for scup. More fish and more room for the rest of us.

con·de·scend·ing
/ˌkändəˈsendiNG/
  1. having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

46 mins ago, mikez2 said:

There's a lot of education needed out there on ethical C&R.

C&R mortality will never go away but it could be greatly improved by education. For all the hating we all do on social media, it is a powerful tool for education. 

Start by calling out the Grip n Grin pics so many share.

Do you even need a pic of a 24 inch bass?

Do you need your fingers in his gills?

Rolled in sand?

Etc.

A little restraint goes a long way too. Striper thumb used to be cool to brag about. Now I see it as excess. Nobody needs to hook 50 schoolies in one night.

I know, that's a tough sell. Probably an ole guy thing. I'm not so hungry anymore. Still, I gave up my traditional Memorial Day grilled striper quite a few years ago. Didn't hurt a bit. Especially when I admitted to myself it was more about showing off than enjoying a meal. The fishes' lives are worth more than my ego boost.

Well said.

When fish were abundant I used to keep 6 small keepers annually. One per month.  My wife and I really enjoy fresh striper. Last year, the only reason I kept two was at my wife's insistence. This year, I only kept one, 30", and felt guilty about it. If we want fish that bad, we can drive to New Bedford and buy some delicious Alaskan cod or sole, and no stripers are injured in the process.

39 mins ago, FishRatz said:
con·de·scend·ing
/ˌkändəˈsendiNG/
  1. having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

I accept that criticism as fair.

I stand by the content of my opinions, while apologizing for my poor communication skills.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Well said.

When fish were abundant I used to keep 6 small keepers annually. One per month.  My wife and I really enjoy fresh striper. Last year, the only reason I kept two was at my wife's insistence. This year, I only kept one, 30", and felt guilty about it. If we want fish that bad, we can drive to New Bedford and buy some delicious Alaskan cod or sole, and no stripers are injured in the process.

There are so many better tasting and more abundant fish than stripers that there really is no need to keep them.  I say make them catch and release only with the option to buy 1 trophy fish tag per year the same way tarpon are managed. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

. If we want fish that bad, we can drive to New Bedford and buy some delicious Alaskan cod or sole, and no stripers are injured in the process.

but imagine if they had managed cod, pollock, and winter flounder well...we would have fish to fish for.

instead we're scratching another species off the list and buying salmon farmed with the bunker that are supposed to be helping the striper stocks rebound.  

Raping the seas creates a vicious cycle!

47 mins ago, Slappy said:

but imagine if they had managed cod, pollock, and winter flounder well...we would have fish to fish for.

instead we're scratching another species off the list and buying salmon farmed with the bunker that are supposed to be helping the striper stocks rebound.  

Raping the seas creates a vicious cycle!

Absolutely 

1 hour ago, z-man said:

There are so many better tasting and more abundant fish than stripers that there really is no need to keep them.  I say make them catch and release only with the option to buy 1 trophy fish tag per year the same way tarpon are managed. 

Exactly.

I've caught an awful lot of bonefish in the Bahamas and Caribbean and was never tempted to keep one. We went their strictly for the fishing experience.  Fly fishermen travel from all over the world to fish the Bahamas, and it's all c&r. 

18 mins ago, bob_G said:

Exactly.

I've caught an awful lot of bonefish in the Bahamas and Caribbean and was never tempted to keep one. We went their strictly for the fishing experience.  Fly fishermen travel from all over the world to fish the Bahamas, and it's all c&r. 

According to these guys that means the bonefish stock should be crashing.

4 hours ago, nateD said:

Only by you

9 mins ago, nateD said:

According to these guys that means the bonefish stock should be crashing.

And apparently by you. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I agree that C&R has mortality.  I have caught and released a decent amount of fish this year.  There are 9-10 that I think may or may not have made it due to taking a lure's hook deeper in the mouth near the gills, however they all swam away strong at least so I was hopefully they made it.  I am probably way more careful than most fishermen in how I fish and even then its still possible to inadvertently get a fish in the gills as @giggyfish is talking about.

At the same time I just don't buy that C&R is the main source of death.  My reasoning is due to my personal experiences fishing small farm ponds for black bass growing up as a kid.  There were three different bass that had very distinct deformities that you knew it was the same fish when you caught them.  These ponds were 2-4 acres big so quite small. over 7 years I caught and released those same three bass at least 5 separate times each.  2 years in I started taking quick measurements and seeing how the fish grew year to year.  We also have all these striper tagging studies.  A fellow surfcaster caught the same tagged striper in the same exact spot within 5 days of the time he caught it last year.  These experiences tell me that if we let our fish go chances are they may come back next season larger and healthier than the year before.  Keeping them one hundred percent ensures they are gone from the biomass. 

Over-harvest is almost always the problem other than large scale ecological disasters when a fishery is in decline not too much C&R.  I do have friends who like @FishRatz do stop fishing when they keep their one fish and I commend them for that level of discipline.  I would say that from what I have seen they are in the minority anywhere on the striper coast and at the Canal the "upgrading" process is rampant.  You will see guys keep fishing with a dead keeper.  They catch a bigger one that one becomes the keeper and the dead fish is tossed back into the canal.  Then they catch an even bigger fish and the process repeats.  One day I had some very hot words with another angler on the 6 fish he threw back into the Ditch dead.  His response "as long as I only take one fish home with me I am not breaking the law".  If the law was you cannot keep fish stuff like that would happen less frequently and certainly not with the blatancy that it happens now.  At the same time I want people to be able to have a meal of striped bass.  Personally I think a limited number of tags issued to an angler 2 or 3 fish a season would be a good solution and have those in a narrow slot maybe 28-30 inches, but things like that are not on the table so the 35" minimum seems to be the best option to stop "Over-Harvest".  I wish we had other options but they were not on the table so I am hoping for 35" minimum.

That said I agree with @bob_G that educating anglers on proper release is a major issue that should be addressed.  Plenty of idiots at the Canal hauling the fish all the way up on the bike path taking a ton of pictures and then "releasing" them after 10-15 minutes of out of water time so pretty much dead and not gonna survive.  Those people are no better than the "upgraders" in my book.  

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, giggyfish said:

And apparently by you. 

C&R gamefish tactics are working well in Florida,bahamas,etc.. that's a fact. How does that imply that zero of those fish die?

Edited by nateD

The practice of allowing fishermen to keep unlimited amounts of legal size fish annually has got to stop. There's no reason on earth that a individual rec angler needs to keep upwards of 25 keepers per season. Yet they do.

The only reason someone does this is, because it's free and legal to do so. Throughout history man has shown that when something is in abundance and free, they'll always take more than they need.  I still contend the vast majority of large fish are kept for nothing more than bragging rights. 

As BobG said earlier 1@35 will still take at least 6-8 years to really start seeing an obvious increase in large fish.

We really need to lay off these schoolies and let them grow for it to work. 

3 mins ago, giggyfish said:

As BobG said earlier 1@35 will still take at least 6-8 years to really start seeing an obvious increase in large fish.

We really need to lay off these schoolies and let them grow for it to work. 

I’ve caught 30 schoolies in a night then hit a 40” fish, Are you suggesting we not fish because I think it would defeat the point of me fishing if I left a spot due to finding fish....