Kanine Kleenup

So if the size limit rises to 35..

Rate this topic

168 posts in this topic

IMO a 35" limit will do nothing to reduce nor increase crowds. People will still take all the large fish they want, hiding them in the woods, in cars, and using runners.

We presenty have a one fish rec limit and a two comm limit. In the last two years I've seen more fish poached than any time in my life. I personally be observed rec anglers keeping 5,6 and 7 large fish per outing. I can't see how a 35" limit will eliminate or even slow that.

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

IMO a 35" limit will do nothing to reduce nor increase crowds. People will still take all the large fish they want, hiding them in the woods, in cars, and using runners.

We presenty have a one fish rec limit and a two comm limit. In the last two years I've seen more fish poached than any time in my life. I personally be observed rec anglers keeping 5,6 and 7 large fish per outing. I can't see how a 35" limit will eliminate or even slow that.

I second that and the 35” limit just make it harder or more challenging depending on your point of view for the honest person 

I support the 35" limit. If for no other reason it will allow more females the opportunity to spawn before being caught. 

But on the canal, until a couple EPOs receive full time assignments on the canal, nothing will change, and the folks implementing these new regs are kidding themselves thinking otherwise.

I agree with Bob about the poachers. I'm 47 have been fishing the cape my whole life and I can say without a doubt 99.9% of the bad behavior I've seen has been at the canal. When fishing outer beaches or bay side flats it's a totally different class of fishermen. I know some will be offended but it is the truth 

1 min ago, Gwiz said:

I agree with Bob about the poachers. I'm 47 have been fishing the cape my whole life and I can say without a doubt 99.9% of the bad behavior I've seen has been at the canal. When fishing outer beaches or bay side flats it's a totally different class of fishermen. I know some will be offended but it is the truth 

I’ve noticed a lot of noob fisherman in the Boston area that clearly got into this obsession because of the past few seasons at the canal....generally when a noob shows up and starts fishing right next to me he’s got a Kmart special and he’s throwing a big guppy pencil in a Mac pattern,  A giant savage sandeel in a Mac pattern or a XL magic swimmer. I’m sure they throw these because it’s what they see on social media and it’s what worked that one time they went to an epic canal blitz and caught some bass......But they can’t get down to the cape this week so they go out and throw a 5 oz savage sandeel into 3-4 feet of water on some tidal flats and expect to catch something.....so basically the epic skill-less fishing down there has sucked a lot of guys who would never fish if they had not gotten the instant canal gratification and it’s apparent everywhere.social media has really jacked things up.

They could change the keeper size  to 50” it’s not going to change anything. 

There is no fear of the EP because they’re never around to enforce the rules. I belong to a fishing group where one member witnessed a group of individuals keep about 40 undersized fish. I know the EP can’t be everywhere all the time but some of the people that are caught need to be made an example of. 

If the reward outweighs the risk people are going to keep poaching fish. We need stronger fines and more serious penalties for this act. 

I believe the poaching of the undersized fish is having a big impact on this fishery. 

Just my 2 cents. 

19 mins ago, 103 yaker said:

They could change the keeper size  to 50” it’s not going to change anything. 

There is no fear of the EP because they’re never around to enforce the rules. I belong to a fishing group where one member witnessed a group of individuals keep about 40 undersized fish. I know the EP can’t be everywhere all the time but some of the people that are caught need to be made an example of. 

If the reward outweighs the risk people are going to keep poaching fish. We need stronger fines and more serious penalties for this act. 

I believe the poaching of the undersized fish is having a big impact on this fishery. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Hear this all the time.......You guys give the wardens a heads up?

2 mins ago, robc22 said:

Hear this all the time.......You guys give the wardens a heads up?

EP got a call that day. 

I’ve had conversations with them about know areas and never see or hear of them going there. I’ve told them of well known areas where poaching is taking place on any given night. It almost seems they purposely avoid those areas. 

I feel it’s a political move to try and get more funding or man power. 

3 mins ago, 103 yaker said:

EP got a call that day. 

I’ve had conversations with them about know areas and never see or hear of them going there. I’ve told them of well known areas where poaching is taking place on any given night. It almost seems they purposely avoid those areas. 

I feel it’s a political move to try and get more funding or man power. 

It took a lot of calls to get them to take what was happening down at the canal seriously........The guys on here had a lot to do with that thankfully......Glad that you and ur m8's gave em a ring.......:th:

5 mins ago, robc22 said:

It took a lot of calls to get them to take what was happening down at the canal seriously........The guys on here had a lot to do with that thankfully......Glad that you and ur m8's gave em a ring.......:th:

What Rob said.

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

make them a game fish for 5 years ,,no fish for 5 years should help a bit