gln826

Montauk Blitzing

Rate this topic

212 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I recognize the site owners have policies about "spot burning" and have rules regarding such postings.  That's fine and this site offers much value to me so I honor those rules when posting here.  But I've never been convinced that "spot burning" is really of an issue.  I've spent a lot of time around prime central PA trout waters and deer hunting areas.  Same claims are made in those communities.  I've never seen much of an impact.  I'm sure there are some examples where a blitz was on and someone made a call and more people showed up.  If these people are courteous and legally fishing so what?  They are analogous to road hunters during deer season.  There are some road hunters in my family.  They rarely get out of their vehicles.  When they do they don't go far.  And I have a hard time remembering when they got a deer.

After all for most of us this is a hobby.  Enjoy.

Your age is showing in your lack of experience and knowledge about the destructive abilities of social media and a spot-burn on the 'net...lemme give a personal example;there's a phone app where you take a pic of a fish and it geo-locates you and puts a pin on a map open to anybody.

So, we used to have a great early season spot for SMB where a mid-sized creek hits a big river and in spring SMB used to stack at the mouth,lotsa big females up to 22".I'd fish it 20 mins at a time so as to not beat up on them too badly and I'd catch every cast till I stopped.Almost all fat females ready to spawn.Well, some knucklehead puts up a post of a nice fish from there and w/in 24 hrs the place looked like a trout stream in Pa on opening day or the Slmon R.Ppl were standing shoulder-to-shoulder.The bank was covered in scales and blood and ppl were takin 5 gal buckets full of fish out.That was 3 yrs ago and that section of river hasn't recovered at all.An avg eve there used to be 8-12 SMB from 12-20+" Now,not a single bass.I fish it for pike still and used to catch big SMB as sidecatch throwing big stuff..not a single one for three years.

I could post other more specific examples but I've got a feelin you're probably stuck in your ways..

7 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Just wanted to show jersey surf casting at its finest. You'll have to ask them if its photo shopped.

that's not too bad,there's actually space between the ppl,stayed on one time just to see that spectacle after a "normal" week in Joisey,which actually wasn't so bad,only got mugged 3X that week

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 mins ago, slip n slide said:

Your age is showing in your lack of experience and knowledge about the destructive abilities of social media and a spot-burn on the 'net...lemme give a personal example;there's a phone app where you take a pic of a fish and it geo-locates you and puts a pin on a map open to anybody.

So, we used to have a great early season spot for SMB where a mid-sized creek hits a big river and in spring SMB used to stack at the mouth,lotsa big females up to 22".I'd fish it 20 mins at a time so as to not beat up on them too badly and I'd catch every cast till I stopped.Almost all fat females ready to spawn.Well, some knucklehead puts up a post of a nice fish from there and w/in 24 hrs the place looked like a trout stream in Pa on opening day or the Slmon R.Ppl were standing shoulder-to-shoulder.The bank was covered in scales and blood and ppl were takin 5 gal buckets full of fish out.That was 3 yrs ago and that section of river hasn't recovered at all.An avg eve there used to be 8-12 SMB from 12-20+" Now,not a single bass.I fish it for pike still and used to catch big SMB as sidecatch throwing big stuff..not a single one for three years.

I could post other more specific examples but I've got a feelin you're probably stuck in your ways..

Spot on 100%!! FB sucks!

Edited by Mack26

Imagine my fourth post on this site leading to 6 plus pages of ridiculousness. I posted that the blitz was happening "in Montauk". Anyone who watches a Fishaholic video on YouTube knows now is the season. With over 20 miles of waterfront, kind of hard to spot burn. The point of my post was as much to say how rewarding it was to share with a friend his first fish as it was to "report" blitzing bass. Asking mods to delete a post about bass blitzing in Montauk in October is like saying delete a post about casting a lure into the surf to catch a fish. Dog bites man kind of stuff. By the way, there were less than 6 people fishing where I fished on Saturday, and I was the only one my spot on Sunday. The "burn" was more like a mosquito bite. 

18 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

Why is this picture even up..... you can see that most of these people are photoshopped 

Definitely NOT shopped. 

3 mins ago, the3fishheads said:

Keep the rod down.

Nobody like getting mugged.

I’ve taken the line off the roller while fighting a fish when people were near by. 

9 mins ago, slip n slide said:

That example does not have any relevance to the OP's post.  Your bass spot was virtually unknown.  Montauk and all its classic spots are some of the best know fishing locations on the eastern sea board.  Nobody is saying.."Psst - there is this spot nobody knows about - it's called the Montauk Lighthouse - it's on fire, don't tell anybody!"

17 mins ago, slip n slide said:

I'd bet I've got more insight on social media and related technologies then most as I've been a development manager and principle engineer with Google.  I developed some fishing related Android apps but was forced to shelve them as I have an IP contract with my employers.  The lawyers wouldn't let me publish on my own.  So they wait until I retire.

Your example doesn't sound credible.  I am aware of people using such apps reporting trout success here in PA and see no evidence it leads to significant fishing pressure.  There have been similar debates at TU meetings and PFBC biologists will comment they see no measurable impacts.

17 mins ago, gln826 said:

Imagine my fourth post on this site leading to 6 plus pages of ridiculousness. I posted that the blitz was happening "in Montauk". Anyone who watches a Fishaholic video on YouTube knows now is the season. With over 20 miles of waterfront, kind of hard to spot burn. The point of my post was as much to say how rewarding it was to share with a friend his first fish as it was to "report" blitzing bass. Asking mods to delete a post about bass blitzing in Montauk in October is like saying delete a post about casting a lure into the surf to catch a fish. Dog bites man kind of stuff. By the way, there were less than 6 people fishing where I fished on Saturday, and I was the only one my spot on Sunday. The "burn" was more like a mosquito bite. 

This is the post of the century

11 mins ago, hydraman said:

Why nonsense. It’s the rules of the site. No spot burning!!! If you need posts like this terry to find the bass sorry for you brother. After 40000 thousand posts you should know what spot burning is by now. 

The spot was sufficiently burned by last Thursday. At some point it's old news.  The OP's post was WAY past that point. Again, Montauk is not some secret spot that will now be overrun.

On 10/6/2019 at 6:14 PM, gln826 said:

Just finished two days of fun in Montauk with blitzing 20"-34" bass. There's nothing better when its happening, especially that I was able to bring someone today who has never caught a striped bass before. South side yesterday, north side today. A great weekend in my favorite place.

1 hour ago, gln826 said:

In the first post you wrote that you brought a friend on Sunday to fish with you and in your last post you wrote that on Sunday you were the only one in your spot. Did you burn your friend?