gln826

Montauk Blitzing

Rate this topic

187 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Depends on how you use those reports.  For someone like me who isn't close enough make trips every day I glean information that helps me learn even though I'm not on the shore.  No, not as effective as being there.  But I pick up some knowledge.  So prior to being exposed to the great surf fishing opportunities I didn't financially support the local shops and didn't even know about the political/ecological issues.  Let alone care about them.

I've been fresh water fishing for almost 60 years and hunting for about 55.  Been involved in a number of related organizations.  I see a circular argument at each and I see it with salt water fishermen as well.  It goes like this:  We need more people to get interested in the sport to keep the local shops going and to get people behind ecological/political initiatives.  We need to reach out and expose, excite, and motivate recruits.  How can we find and help educate them?  Can we use new social tools for this.  Dang there are too many people at my favorite spot.  Why do people keep publicizing how exciting it is to fish/hunt/etc?  These new social media tools are killing our sport.

You can market the sport and spread the love without burning spots. You can take video of a blitz without showing the background. If you choose to be a embassador for fishing then you need to understand the implications of having such power. I will always help the new guy out and steer them in the right direction but I would never say "montauk".

I am also from bucks county, I also work, I also surf fish in NJ, but Im not going to complain about the drive. Im also not going to wait unti lsomebody hands me a report with video proof to go fish. Its asinine.

there has been discussion with the Montauk town department of installing fishing cams (project blitz cam) on both the north and south side of the lighthouse, argument being it will help bring more revenue into the town

8 mins ago, Sandflee said:

there has been discussion with the Montauk town department of installing fishing cams (project blitz cam) on both the north and south side of the lighthouse, argument being it will help bring more revenue into the town

There's some more backward thinking for ya.  Maybe that money would be better spent educating their fishing fleet on the advantages of not killing everything that swims.

2 mins ago, vinnyb said:

There's some more backward thinking for ya.  Maybe that money would be better spent educating their fishing fleet on the advantages of not killing everything that swims.

At Montauk? Good luck with that lolz....

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just now, vinnyb said:

They're only killing the large egg laying females......  

Edited by cbchurch

Posted (edited) · Report post

44 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

You can market the sport and spread the love without burning spots. You can take video of a blitz without showing the background. If you choose to be a embassador for fishing then you need to understand the implications of having such power. I will always help the new guy out and steer them in the right direction but I would never say "montauk".

I am also from bucks county, I also work, I also surf fish in NJ, but Im not going to complain about the drive. Im also not going to wait unti lsomebody hands me a report with video proof to go fish. Its asinine.

I recognize the site owners have policies about "spot burning" and have rules regarding such postings.  That's fine and this site offers much value to me so I honor those rules when posting here.  But I've never been convinced that "spot burning" is really of an issue.  I've spent a lot of time around prime central PA trout waters and deer hunting areas.  Same claims are made in those communities.  I've never seen much of an impact.  I'm sure there are some examples where a blitz was on and someone made a call and more people showed up.  If these people are courteous and legally fishing so what?  They are analogous to road hunters during deer season.  There are some road hunters in my family.  They rarely get out of their vehicles.  When they do they don't go far.  And I have a hard time remembering when they got a deer.

After all for most of us this is a hobby.  Enjoy.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

2 hours ago, Sandflee said:

to be fair that bite was as predictable as the leaves changing color in the fall, but this NE blow will shut it down ;)

This is a mini noreaster.... should light it up even more

48 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

What I think is asinine is spending time Whiting out backgrounds.... you walk on the street and ask 10 people about doing that and 9/10 will laugh.... 

53 mins ago, DragonsLax48 said:

but I would never say "montauk".

Are you kidding i could tell you i was fishing in montauk and you could spend all week trying to find me and never see me.  

29 mins ago, crazybellringer said:

Are you kidding i could tell you i was fishing in montauk and you could spend all week trying to find me and never see me.  

your on,...:D

1 hour ago, Sandflee said:

Now this I agree with, I know they're talking about setting up beach cams around Turtle Cove and Northside the lighthouse. I really hope they do so. I think would really help getting a lot of people into fishing.

1 hour ago, Sandflee said:

I never heard this and there are already plenty of surf cams in Montauk , there are like 5 of them in Montauk alone.  Every well known surf spot on long island has one. easily googlable.

24 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

Now this I agree with, I know they're talking about setting up beach cams around Turtle Cove and Northside the lighthouse.

Shocker.