gln826

Montauk Blitzing

Rate this topic

212 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

You really think people post because they want the publicity because it makes them feel good? 

YES,  W T  F  else could it be?

Posted (edited) · Report post

36 mins ago, pakalolo said:

YES,  W T  F  else could it be?

Help you catch more fish!

Edited by levari

1 min ago, levari said:

Help you catch more fish..Read the top of the page...

I'm a new surf fisher.  It's YT videos of such blitzes that got me interested in surf fishing.  No I 'm not going to quit work, pack the bags, and run to Montauk.  But it will motivate me to get interested, investigate the NJ coast, buy equipment from coastal NJ shops.  And yes, learn about the related ecology and support better saltwater gamefish management.

and f it up for those who have put in the time and effort to figure out a bite, only to have one of the chest thumpers post it online and bring out the crowd. Certainly you don't count on online reports to find fish?

4 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I'm a new surf fisher.  It's YT videos of such blitzes that got me interested in surf fishing.  No I 'm not going to quit work, pack the bags, and run to Montauk.  But it will motivate me to get interested, investigate the NJ coast, buy equipment from coastal NJ shops.  And yes, learn about the related ecology and support better saltwater gamefish management.

This is what I like to hear..... 

6 mins ago, pakalolo said:

and f it up for those who have put in the time and effort to figure out a bite, only to have one of the chest thumpers post it online and bring out the crowd. Certainly you don't count on online reports to find fish?

How about driving around looking for people with binoculars who are onto fish then fishing those spots?!

Edited by Fishy4335

9 mins ago, Fishy4335 said:

How about driving around looking for people with binoculars who are onto fish then fishing those spots?!

How about driving around with binoculars looking for people who are onto fish and then calling their friends on the cell phone before fishing those spots, and an hour later posting a video on SOL?

Edited by levari

9 mins ago, levari said:

How about driving around with binoculars looking for people who are onto fish and then calling their friends on the cell phone before fishing those spots, and an hour later posting a video on SOL?

Realest post ever made.

5 mins ago, levari said:

Well at least they’re actually driving around ;-). Fishing at night is the cure for this. Was catching bass & blues about 20 yards from 2 knuckleheads the other night & they didn’t know a thing. In fact they left while I had a fish on. Classic. 

34 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Depends on how you use those reports.  For someone like me who isn't close enough make trips every day I glean information that helps me learn even though I'm not on the shore.  No, not as effective as being there.  But I pick up some knowledge.  So prior to being exposed to the great surf fishing opportunities I didn't financially support the local shops and didn't even know about the political/ecological issues.  Let alone care about them.

I've been fresh water fishing for almost 60 years and hunting for about 55.  Been involved in a number of related organizations.  I see a circular argument at each and I see it with salt water fishermen as well.  It goes like this:  We need more people to get interested in the sport to keep the local shops going and to get people behind ecological/political initiatives.  We need to reach out and expose, excite, and motivate recruits.  How can we find and help educate them?  Can we use new social tools for this.  Dang there are too many people at my favorite spot.  Why do people keep publicizing how exciting it is to fish/hunt/etc?  These new social media tools are killing our sport.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

1 min ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Depends on how you use those reports.  For someone like me who isn't close enough make trips every day I glean information that helps me learn even though I'm not on the shore.  No, not as effective as being there.  But I pick up some knowledge.  So prior to being exposed to the great fishing opportunities I didn't financially support the local shops and didn't even know about the political/ecological issues.  Let alone care about them.

I've been fresh water fishing for almost 60 years and hunting for about 55.  Been involved in a number of related organizations.  I see a circular argument at each and I see it with salt water fishermen as well.  It goes like this:  We need more people to get interested in the sport to keep the local shops going and to get people behind ecological/political initiatives.  We need to reach out and expose, excite, and motivate recruits.  How can we find and help educate them?  Can we use new social tools for this.  Dang there are too many people at my favorite spot.  Why do people keep publicizing how exciting it is to fish/hunt/etc?  These new social media tools are killing our sport.

Rinse and repeat...

1 hour ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I see a circular argument at each and I see it with salt water fishermen as well.  It goes like this:  We need more people to get interested in the sport to keep the local shops going and to get people behind ecological/political initiatives.  We need to reach out and expose, excite, and motivate recruits.  How can we find and help educate them?  Can we use new social tools for this.  Dang there are too many people at my favorite spot.  Why do people keep publicizing how exciting it is to fish/hunt/etc?  These new social media tools are killing our sport.

LOL very true Steve. Unfortunately social media & cell phones aren't going away anytime soon & people are lazy by nature so you've got a perfect storm situation here.  I personally don't understand it because if I'm not finding the fish myself, I'm really not interested in catching other people's fish.  For me the fun is in the hunt - the figuring out of the when, where & how.  Call me old fashioned I guess ;-).

4 hours ago, pakalolo said:

to be fair that bite was as predictable as the leaves changing color in the fall, but this NE blow will shut it down ;)

Edited by Sandflee

15 hours ago, vinnyb said:

You’re seriously asking this? Isn’t this why FB exists? So the self-important can keep us abreast of every dump they take?

Hes one of them. Ya cant argue with stupid.

15 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

You really think people post because they want the publicity because it makes them feel good? 

Thats quite literally the point of it.