RedGreen

Thinking of moving south

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Have to say that the insurance cars & home is about 25% higher, gas is much cheaper than CT/ NY, food about the same, property taxes vary considerably by county, sales tax is 6% BUT counties throw in their own which varies from 0 to 2%, houses/ condo prices are all over the place, and of course NO income tax.  If you buy get the homestead exemption ( FL license(s), register car(s)) so your property taxes are capped at 3% / yr max raise.  If you buy you may want/ need to get hurricane shutters (cheaper option) or impact glass (VERY expensive) as depending on location it will affect your insurance costs.

It's hot May thru Oct - Aug thru Sep is brutally hot.

Research, research, research......

1 hour ago, gman1253 said:

Have to say that the insurance cars & home is about 25% higher, gas is much cheaper than CT/ NY, food about the same, property taxes vary considerably by county, sales tax is 6% BUT counties throw in their own which varies from 0 to 2%, houses/ condo prices are all over the place, and of course NO income tax.  If you buy get the homestead exemption ( FL license(s), register car(s)) so your property taxes are capped at 3% / yr max raise.  If you buy you may want/ need to get hurricane shutters (cheaper option) or impact glass (VERY expensive) as depending on location it will affect your insurance costs.

It's hot May thru Oct - Aug thru Sep is brutally hot.

Research, research, research......

Food prices at Publix, etc. supermarkets, I've found,  are much higher during the snowbird months vs. NY prices and maybe the tri state prices and/or elsewhere. Just too many BOGO ads during Jan-end of March, but who needs to buy two packages of meat just to save a bit? Canned goods? Way higher than our supermarkets here. BHead cold cuts? $12/$13/lb? Crazy! I've heard from "locals" that supermarket prices go down once the snowbirds leave.  I definitely have experienced, after vacationing in S/W Florida for 18 years in March, prices are way higher than what I see here in NY.