Alutecnos Reels?

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

How are these reels compared with Islander? Tibor? Abel? From what I understand, Alutecnos fly reels are excellent quality reels made in Italy, and compare well with higher end more well known reels, but information seem somewhat scarce. 

2 hours ago, 0830 said:

How are these reels compared with Islander? Tibor? Abel? From what I understand, Alutecnos fly reels are excellent quality reels made in Italy, and compare well with higher end more well known reels, but information seem somewhat scarce. 

Just thinking out loud but I have to wonder about customer support, warrenty service and resale as as compared to the other  well established /USA supported reels.  It would have to be something very special (vs just different) to justify that risk IMHO.  

I first learned about these reels from the Just Reels site a few years ago,  There they were touted as the equal of the reels you mention,  After having used them for a season, they replaced my Abels and my Tibor,  Fit and finish is as good as anything out there and engineering-wise a one way drag disc bearing replaces pawls, springs, etc,  The discs, two are supplied; both cork and carbon, is flipped over to change retrieve direction, Parts and service are available from Alutecnos in Miami,  

36 mins ago, JCFly said:

I first learned about these reels from the Just Reels site a few years ago,  There they were touted as the equal of the reels you mention,  After having used them for a season, they replaced my Abels and my Tibor,  Fit and finish is as good as anything out there and engineering-wise a one way drag disc bearing replaces pawls, springs, etc,  The discs, two are supplied; both cork and carbon, is flipped over to change retrieve direction, Parts and service are available from Alutecnos in Miami,  

Any chance you could take a photo of the reel innards?  Curious about the disc drag configuration.

Killie now,don’t get us going on sealed drags. :howdy:

You do have very good home grown reels. But if we felt same way as Weehooker us Brits would maybe think twice about buying USA made reels and USA rods.

Everyone is different and I understand that. But if there is a good product made abroad then if it catches my eye I will take a chance. But it has to be at least as good as the well known kit.

We have over supply of rods and reels already I think. Inspite of that I have to admire a company putting themselves out there.

Mike

0830  is asking for a comparison; Alutecnos vs Abel, Tibor and Islander, all of which cost considerably more.  Also, Alutecnos is well known for top of the line big-game reels, and their engineering is as good as it gets for a draw bar reel, and execution, fit and finish is A-1

Only reason I mentioned lack of sealed drag is that in the schematic it shows a bunch of small, fiddly bits (springs, and pins, etc...) that are on the drag knob side (under the knob) and also (three I think) bearings inside that could seize up if the reel gets dunked.  I think that there are other drag designs that are also not sealed but more serviceable because they have fewer moving parts and internal bits.  For example Bauer reels, Ross reels, and many other mid priced reels that use bushings not bearings.  Wasn't thinking about the quality of the machining of the reel, which could be excellent.

I think you are beating this to death,  there are no "fiddly bits" on this reel compared to the others mentioned....maybe half as many as on a Tibor, and I have never heard of drag knob detents freezing up as long as they are lubed, 

18 mins ago, JCFly said:

I think you are beating this to death,  there are no "fiddly bits" on this reel compared to the others mentioned....maybe half as many as on a Tibor, and I have never heard of drag knob detents freezing up as long as they are lubed, 

Agree, about the same number of "Thing-a-ma-gings" as other draw bar reels.

See for yourself.

Alutecnos Saltwater Fly Reel.pdf

Sorry, didn't mean to beat the horse senseless, but...  I see three sets of bearings (parts 7,7,7).  Three spare sets to keep when these rust out and you have to replace?