notinuseby

Light Weight Sonar Batteries

27 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm curious what the main appeal of a lighter battery is. Yes, obviously less weight is more comfortable to carry, but it's only about 5lbs. I imagine once you're on the water, it's somewhat moot. If you use a cart to get your launch point, do you notice a big difference? I don't use one (I carry it down in my crate with other odds and ends) so maybe that's why I don't get it. 

Edited by drmevo

In my case I wanted to suspend the battery from the top of the inner hull to keep it mostly out of any water. It was easier to jury rig the hardware, and maneuver it into position with the lighter battery, and I just wanted to generally avoid the hazards of lead/acid anyway.

Used  SLA 12 volt 7 amp and 10amp for a long time and worked great.  Now I alternate two Nocqua 10 ah every 2-3 trips. I mounted my battery on the Hobie mast. When I started kayak fishing I was in my late 20's...being 47 now, 6lbs less in a Nocqua battery compared to a 12volt 10amp SLA  works for me.  Doesn't sound like much but a 200-300yard beach launch? 6lbs less is off the bow carting down soft sand is more better for me.  Hobie bows dip into the waves as well. 6lbs off the bow is better performance on the water.  

The Nocqua is a simple plug and play system. With little rigging involved. I think the only improvement Nocqua should make is at the male and female connections. Hard to see in low light for alignment.  

It remains to be seen how long Nocqua will last. About 60 bucks every two seasons for two  12 volt 10ah batteries. 

Edited by The Riddler

22 mins ago, The Riddler said:

I think the only improvement Nocqua should make is at the male and female connections. Hard to see in low light for alignment.  

Same here.... try putting alignment marks on the connectors with  a white paint pen or nail polish

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

I'm curious what the main appeal of a lighter battery is. Yes, obviously less weight is more comfortable to carry, but it's only about 5lbs. I imagine once you're on the water, it's somewhat moot. If you use a cart to get your launch point, do you notice a big difference? I don't use one (I carry it down in my crate with other odds and ends) so maybe that's why I don't get it. 

I'm in season #4 with my 10AH Nocqua, still going strong.....

Weight, Life cycles & available energy are the appeals, its just the initial cost that is a hurdle for most folks to get over..

Once past that, you retire & pass it down to the grand kids ;)

1 hour ago, BillZ said:

I'm in season #4 with my 10AH Nocqua, still going strong.....

Weight, Life cycles & available energy are the appeals, its just the initial cost that is a hurdle for most folks to get over..

Once past that, you retire & pass it down to the grand kids ;)

Makes sense. I was thinking it was all about the lighter weight. 

I am in my 70’s and weight is very important to me. Our 7” Lowrance TI’s in downscan/sidesscan do suck up the juice. We travel 2 hours to fish and sometimes grab a motel inorder to get two fishing trips in. It is nice to have larger capacity battery’s incase a full charge is not possible. But that is just me. 

Edited by Dieseldog13
Spelling

12 hours ago, Dieseldog13 said:

I am in my 70’s and weight is very important to me. Our 7” Lowrance 7” TI’s in downscan/sides can do suck up the juice. We travel 2 hours to fish and sometimes grab a motel inorder to get two fishing trips in. It is nice to have larger capacity battery’s incase a full charge is not possible. But that is just me. 

in your 70"s and doing two consecutive days on the water.  i wanna be you in about 20 years.

You can also run a Lithium down much lower than a SLA battery.  Take that SLA down to 20% a few times and it may not fully recover.  Lithium has a very graceful voltage drop as it discharges.  Some equipment won't work at the lower SLA voltages when it's more fully discharged.  Another advantage of LiFePo batteries is that they have circuits built in to manage charging.  No need to worry about over charging.  Many can be recharged with a 12v wall wart.

I've switched all my remote electronics over to LiFePo except on my boat.

I use bioenno lifepo batteries, I also see ads for Dakota lithium.

My 15ah bioenno weighs much less than my old SLA 7ah and can handle my fishfinder for a full trip--the sla can't do that.

Even if you don't think you're old, it is nice having a light battery.  I have to charge mine every trip so my battery travels with my tackle.

It is also a weight thing, I am nuts about keeping weight down, my last kayak had a lot if rails all over it, I took most off and while holding them in my hand it was more weight then I thought it would be, my current kayak hull is 68lbs. (Weighed) so a five pound saving in weight is a big number when peddling or paddling it with the human power. Don’t use a crate, minimal tackle, two rods , helping friends take their stuff to the water I am amazed how much they take. Hey I’m almost 63 weight 230, and it is more important to  have a light weight expensive  battery  then to skip lunch and lose five pounds!.....jack