notinuseby

Light Weight Sonar Batteries

27 posts in this topic

I’ve got a standard 12v that weighs about 5-6 lbs and goes for like 12-14 hours. Anyone got a nice light weight 12v battery that has at least 7-8 hours in it?

I've been using a Nocqua for about a month with very good results. It's pricey, but I have a 5" screen on my fish finder, and it would drain a lead-acid battery in just a couple of hours.

My son just bought a FPV 17.5 ah battery that weighs almost nothing. Lithium Ion. Tomorrow we will be taking it on its first fishing trip with his Lowrance 7” TI fish finder. Expensive but the weight savings is huge.

I bought a couple of battery holders for AA and D sized batteries off Thebay a while back. I use the one that holds 10 AA's regularly and easily get that kind of time out of a set of alcalines. I replace the batteries maybe every 4-5 trips.  I don't know what the rig weighs but I'm guessing no more than 1.5#. Havn't really had the need to use the ganged D cells.

A note though, I am running a Garmin Striker 4 which is a pretty small unit . 

Commercial links aren't allowed here, so you gotta google "Noqua 10ah" or "FPV 17.5" ...you'll find them. I use the Noqua 10ah on a hook2 5 and have been out 11 hours w/out it running out of juice. FPV's unit wasn't around when i rigged up my last yak, but my next one will definitely have the FPV unless something better comes out.

10ah vs 17.5ah

local dealer that carries both says 35% of Nocqua’s are being returned because of defects. 

I just dropped $40 to replace my two lead acid batteries in my Yak Power box. They lasted one year, ugh. Wish I had known about the FPV.

10ah vs 17.5ah

local dealer that carries both says 35% of Nocqua’s are being returned because of defects. 

can't say im one of them...

I could buy two nicqua's 10 amp units for that price and still have money left over....i have not had one problem with mine....

What do you need 17.5 amps for anyway?

This fpv unit is relatively brand new..... Give it time, you'll hear the pros and cons eventually, nothing's bulletproof....

Bill have you seen these kooks on fresh water? Two fishfinders, and GPS antennas to pinpoint spot. Gotta keep up with the 70mph bass boats.

Roger that :th::D

Who do you know (kayaker) other than slappy, who uses a unit that needs that much juice?

How many trips will it take to use that juice with the units we use?

On the flip side,  depth of discharge dictates life cycles..... higher amps translates into lower depth of discharge but that's if you keep the same run time & charging habits that you practiced with your lower ah unit....

I recharge after every trip regardless if I'm out for 1/2 hr or 6 hrs,  most don't but i do religiously,   in this way, i keep my d.o.d down to a minimum which translates into thousands of cycles......

is the fpv 17.5 worth more than 2x the money of a10ah  nocqua? It'll last the same  & do exactly ther same thing with proper battery upkeep anyway....

Look.

Add GPS antenna, electric pole, maybe a phone plug.

I don't know how the stay upright. 

Some one asked if I could help him at ramp in Salem put wheels on with one similar to pic. I grabbed the stern handle picked it up and it fell over. I had to use two hands to keep it from falling over lifting the keel as it was so top heavy. 

As to your question. Yes one other his name is Tim, lives in Canada. Also on the Hobie team. Think his billboard is 12" now.

33591849642_69e856c6cc_b.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Exactly my point.... not many people need a 220 dollar over sized / over priced battery to power any of the common 4" - 7" units we use....

Edited by BillZ
spelling