Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Two weeks left, no thread this year.. not many fish weighed this week..   I remember this wind pretty much ending my Derby, but who knows..

Leaders are feeling good now, but 14 days is a long time.

Every year it's the same talk bass wise ...

do they go around and hang around late enough for a hail mary, or do they scoot through and hang west??(seems the latter this year)...

All about the bait, or decimation of certain populations or???

For a few years now I've heard people say they wished they stayed on the mainland and fished BB and RI... guess it depends on what you value in fishing...

Fishing on the moon is pretty cool, even if you're catching cookie cutters..

I'm not talking tides, I'm talking about being able to park and walk and cast AND SCOUT all day long for miles and bump into a handful of people at the most(midweek at least), occasionally sans clothes, which can be good or bad... weird rockpiles,  blair-witch tyoe driftwood crap (which usually have free washed up plugs hanging  on them btw...) You can bump into young ladies in love at oh dark whatever, get trapped around a bluff until the tide goes out, get a migraine looking at tide charts, weather and wind forcasts, rumors,  etc.

I have no idea how the grand slammers do it...
Maybe when I retire and/or win the lottery and I can do the whole thing lol

Edited by wishiniwuzfishin

I missed going this year.  Not really about the competition but how awesome it is being there.

Glad they do the C&R now too.  For how great it is way too much dead fish 

Goal before i die is to score a grand slam from shore

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

I missed going this year.  Not really about the competition but how awesome it is being there.

Glad they do the C&R now too.  For how great it is way too much dead fish 

Goal before i die is to score a grand slam from shore

I agree. Glad they at least raised the bass minimum to 34", but I wish they would put them in albie status; no dailies, 3 per man per derby. (I think that's right?)

FWIW, 3500+ fisherman have weighed in 110 bass in two weeks, and that probably isn't going to go up to much.

Now discuss The Cape Cod Canal, AKA The Ditch.

Edited by wishiniwuzfishin

4 hours ago, wishiniwuzfishin said:

Two weeks left, no thread this year.. not many fish weighed this week..   I remember this wind pretty much ending my Derby, but who knows..

Leaders are feeling good now, but 14 days is a long time.

Every year it's the same talk bass wise ...

do they go around and hang around late enough for a hail mary, or do they scoot through and hang west??(seems the latter this year)...

All about the bait, or decimation of certain populations or???

For a few years now I've heard people say they wished they stayed on the mainland and fished BB and RI... guess it depends on what you value in fishing...

Fishing on the moon is pretty cool, even if you're catching cookie cutters..

I'm not talking tides, I'm talking about being able to park and walk and cast AND SCOUT all day long for miles and bump into a handful of people at the most(midweek at least), occasionally sans clothes, which can be good or bad... weird rockpiles,  blair-witch tyoe driftwood crap (which usually have free washed up plugs hanging  on them btw...) You can bump into young ladies in love at oh dark whatever, get trapped around a bluff until the tide goes out, get a migraine looking at tide charts, weather and wind forcasts, rumors,  etc.

I have no idea how the grand slammers do it...
Maybe when I retire and/or win the lottery and I can do the whole thing lol

Wonderful summation!

8 hours ago, Tin Boat said:

Wonderful summation!

Thanks TB. I was extremely  lucky to have a good crew to introduce me to the island and The Derby.  The astronaut training reference was a clipped article about fishing the Derby and was required reading for new people in the house I was in.. I was shown all around the island, fished darters for the first time and caught fish in the crowd at the rip, went down some long dirt roads to dark North shore spots, peered half asleep from  various docks in the middle of the night into the dark water looking for bait, tagging along with a guy with a castnet who hadn't slept in two days.. I could go on and on. Haven't been able to get there for a few years due to a back injury but I'm feeling pretty good about next year. I need more of those stories..

I went out with the famous "Coop" about 25yrs ago before the derby, and spent 6hrs walking ,driving and whatever all over the Vineyard from 7pm till 3:AM. Probably walked 10 miles. Had a great time caught plenty of bass,but nothing earth shaking.  Will never forget it.

32 mins ago, John P said:

I went out with the famous "Coop" about 25yrs ago before the derby, and spent 6hrs walking ,driving and whatever all over the Vineyard from 7pm till 3:AM. Probably walked 10 miles. Had a great time caught plenty of bass,but nothing earth shaking.  Will never forget it.

When I was 15 Coop shared, with my friend and I, a fantastic tutorial about catching funnies on the island. My friend got a bonito the next day, and me the day after. Great guy. Great fisherman.

Just got back from MV, the fishing from shore was very slow to say the least. It still a great place to fish with friends and meet new people. Will be tough fishing this week coming up with the weather but maybe that's what is needed to shake things up down there. 

There is nothing like the vibe of being on that island during the derby. I have a lot of great memories fishing and meeting interesting people along the way.  

I was just out there for my brother's wedding. It's really the first time i've explored the island. Never fished it. Was surprised there weren't more vehicles with rods, but did see a fair amount. I keep saying im gonna go a fish it. Now that i've been and seen some of the areas, its on my list of things to do for sure. 

36 mins ago, bradW said:

I was just out there for my brother's wedding. It's really the first time i've explored the island. Never fished it. Was surprised there weren't more vehicles with rods, but did see a fair amount. I keep saying im gonna go a fish it. Now that i've been and seen some of the areas, its on my list of things to do for sure. 

Brad back in another time spent a great deal of time and effort fishing the Island . Many of the places in fact can be excess-ed from the road ways and by ways and you do not need a chase vehicle to be into fish . We did have the help of some of the locals back then in directing the best places and action. It can be a fly rodders paradise with many entrance to ponds and such as I recall. or even light plugs and dead sticking on the bottom was productive . We often fished for multiple species fish depending upon the time of the year it was. THings have changed over the years for sure, however fishing from the Island has its moments in history that you should embrace  at some time in your life. Stay at the local hotel for a week with the family bring a rod let the family go off on a shopping and sight seeing trips while you engage the denizens of the deep.