Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BillHoo

Anyone hook onto winter flounder? (The OTHER flat meat)

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I've never done this kind of fishing but have wanted to, but water temperature is way too warm right now from what I understand. I think they are into 50 degree water mostly? 

Back in the day when winter flounder were plentiful me and dad would start fishing for them on the Friday after Thanksgiving. We would fish Manasquan for numbers but down here in Wildwood for size. 

Winter flounder don't typically move in until mid-late November. Right now, as in the summer months, they're offshore in 100+ft depths. We catch them as bycatch when ling/bottom fishing all summer.

Good to see some people are trying for that Winter Flounder!

October 7, 2019:
1- to 3-pound blues in the river and bigger blues moving in and out the inlet kept anglers busy despite the winds, said Bob Matthews at the Fisherman's Den. Tog, small sea bass and some kingfish were also caught off the rocks at the inlet. Surfcasters are seeing mullet in the suds and evening bass action has been on the upswing. Several anglers tried for winter flounder but had no success, however blowfish and kingfish took their clams and worms. Bob said the truth is there are plenty of fish around but the weather is keeping people from coming down and fishing and this coming week's weather isn't promising.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Heard that some flounder were being caught in the inlets early this week.

I had to come up to NJ Friday for a a couple errands, so I checked into a motor lodge near one of the inlet marinas the night before.

Thursday night ...Got in past 1AM, but was able to roll out of bed and walk to the docks around 9:00 Friday morning.  The tide was outgoing, bright sunny day... but very windy!

I saw half a dozen people on the other docks and there was one person fishing a corner of the dock I was on.  He left before I could ask how it was going.  The other left around 10.  didn't see if they were lucky.

I lost a flounder rig, snagged at a spot where I lost a rig last year.  I re-rigged, this time using the paper clip trick on the sinker.  Worked great as I got snagged again later.

Got skunked after fishing till 11.

Guy at the bait shop said it had been slow and they were not fully staffed.  A few flounder caught at the docks and piers.  A few tog at the jetties and stripers on the beach.

Edited by BillHoo