Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 4 - Oct 11

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, frezzy said:

Dirty in Westerly.  Not awful in Charlestown.  Problem is the surge.  Can’t get anywhere near the water to cast.

Contemplating if it would be worth the 2hr trip down.  Thanks for this info.

worked a few miles of soco beach yesterday afternoon/evening. impressive wave sets coming in. found clean&dirty patches of water, but did NOT find the concentrations of bass I was hoping for..

Took a long lunch and worked a west-facing rocky shoreline in newport today.  NNE winds to ~25kt and surf 2-4' in the pocket.  a fair amount of weed even in lee of the wind.  At the southernmost reaches the standard wave sets were 3-5 with occasional 6-8' sets coming in.  Water was a little silty but not terrible.  Northerlies put a wicked bow in the casts but I could easily clear the shelf with 1oz bucktail. 

Tried to pick the prime spots along ~3/4 mile so I could span the whole area in about 2 hours.  Rotated between bucktail and swimming plugs.  No bites, no bait seen, no nothing.  A few birds sitting idle on the rocks and in the water.  Still better that staying at work.

Picked up one fat schoolie this morning.  Guys casting further out were catching them non stop but I was playing it safe.  There were some big nasty waves.    

Decisions.....North wind in the bay at 7am and diminishing late afternoon.  There are places to hide. Rain was way lower than what was expected. 

E388AE52-D12B-42C0-825F-2DE1FF96BB22.png

Managed a decent pick of obese schoolies in a semi-sheltered backwater location yesterday evening.  Too fatigued to concentrate on dodging waves out front so opted for a safer spot.  Water level real high due to surge, and had to go heavier than usual with jigs to compensate for sweep/current, all in all a good evening.