Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 4 - Oct 11

Rate this topic

86 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. This could benefit those you use the RI forum frequently.

The purpose is to blend together all reports into one portal, for easy access, reporting, and reference in one place. 

This is the second year trying this approach to this type of journal. Last year had great participation. 

Now it's up to you to post your success or skunks.   Either way let us know. It all helps us direct us to better fishing conditions, better know how. 

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel to have a successful fishing trip these day.   

Keep those reports coming, good or bad. We'd like to hear. 

Still smalls chewing on Block. Haven’t seen a blue in a few weeks. Conditions have been poor most of the week. Sea has been huge and dangerous, but still fishable in some spots.

Fished my first dawn trip of the year today.  I was reminded that it was the first of the year because I had to return to the car twice for forgotten gear.

Arrived at a "popular spot", two people already in attendance.  Kept my distance, got a decent (for me this year) 36"-ish fish.  Joined the crowd for a while, caught another around 30" on topwater, saw multiple fish caught around that range but no larger.  Also got a few smaller fish.  I left when the crowd exceeded my limit of 5 (myself included).  Birds working the area hard, fish busting on top. 

I heard rumors of bigger fish around last night, but I didn't see them.  36" was probably my best this year (mostly due to lack of effort) and a nice test of the reel I rebuilt (again) last night.  

Got into a mixed bag of bass and blues at a popular spot overnight. Still the same 24-26” class and 3lb blues. Tried the beaches when the sun came up but everything was chocolate milk inside casting range where I was. Fished a public area later in the day and found a good number of the same size feeding in the white water. Still a couple of swells that could land you in trouble if you weren’t paying attention, as I learned

I have been fishing a spot in the bay that has had tons of bait with 24-26" schoolies and small blues.  The bait seems to have thinned considerably and the fish are not as abundant like they were a few days ago.   I will move a little more south to see if I can find the tons of bait again.  

This thread is on fire.

Nice weather we're having, my kayak is in dry dock.

Was out last night, surf was ugly, had a feeling it would be good but not totally into it either. I walk in, guy has a nice fat 45" bass,      I'm into it!!!

I managed four small fish.

Hope it settles out fast after this blow. Season ending surgery coming up quick.

Limited out on large tog in under a half hour from shore; largest being 12# which was safely released. Kept a couple 6-8#ers for the table. Had a nice little 24.5" fluke hit the 3/4oz bottom sweeper with a whole locally harvested Asian green crab. Proceeded to C&R 3 dozen more tog between the two of us on light tackle set-ups until the albies showed and then started pitching Snax to the big boys ripping through bay anchovies around the pilings and boat slips. All in all great fishing and great abundances of bait still to come to the lower Bay region. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fished a spot lat night that was a little tricky with the surf and wind. Found a pocket of fish all large schoolies (24-27"), fish were pretty picky and really only wanted dark plugs (black bomber or black mag darter) fished really slow.  Bite slowed after about 1.5 hrs and got sick of fighting surf so moved to a back water spot, as usual picky fish blasting bait.  Got one a on a metal lip and then started to pour so packed it in.  Water was weedy with all the strong SW wind, fishable just needed to clean plugs every 3 casts or so.

Will be back out wed pm, hopefully wind will not be as bad as predicted.

Edited by Kooky

This was two nights ago (last night I slept in).  

Made another dawn trip to a south-facing shore.  Tide wasn't that big but there was plenty of water up against the shore (SSE wind @ 12kt, compounding a SE swell) made for a fair amount of slop.  Fought my way out to decent perch, managed one 32" bass at false dawn, then cast for another 90 minutes with just one short grab to show for it. 

5 hours ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Limited out on large tog in under a half hour from shore; largest being 12# which was safely released. Kept a couple 6-8#ers for the table. Had a nice little 24.5" fluke hit the 3/4oz bottom sweeper with a whole locally harvested Asian green crab. Proceeded to C&R 3 dozen more tog between the two of us on light tackle set-ups until the albies showed and then started pitching Snax to the big boys ripping through bay anchovies around the pilings and boat slips. All in all great fishing and great abundances of bait still to come to the lower Bay region. 

Sounds like a slow Monday for you

48 mins ago, nateD said:

Sounds like a slow Monday for you

Just a typical outing with a close friend whom is a fellow surfcasting rat.  But when you've got a couple hours to kill between getting out of work and the Miss's coming back to the apartment why not take advantage and wet a line lol.

Fished last night. Seen a couple good fish come in but like what was stated, fish were picky.  Weeds came and went a couple times. Probably gonna take a few nights off and will be back at it hopefully by the weekend. 

Fixin to get a little rough out there boys. Northeast exposed rocks will be probably be the sketchiest. 

Here's the latest marine fx for waters off the south coast:Screenshot_20191008-125334_Chrome.jpg.ffc4ec2b725a8fecd1959663e55383d7.jpgScreenshot_20191008-125413_Chrome.jpg.c776216020cb79405fa97f9df4ceab06.jpg

1 hour ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

Just a typical outing with a close friend whom is a fellow surfcasting rat.  But when you've got a couple hours to kill between getting out of work and the Miss's coming back to the apartment why not take advantage and wet a line lol.

True, I had 15 minutes to fish before work this morning and got in to about 20 stripers to 45", decent outing.