Did anyone make it to MMA for the meeting

Rate this topic

codfish

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

If I were  to bet, I'd say 2020 will be 1 @ 35".

Good.

This has been the worst fall run I can remember. And though my memories dont go back further than the mid 90s, I'm not inclined to duplicate the major crash we had in the 80s

Fishing kills me exactly as it keeps me alive.

Hemingway, Old Man and the Sea

3 hours ago, robc22 said:

I ngot as far as the Bourne Marina boat ramp....My buddy was broke down and needed a hand.......:shrug:

Yeah sorry....my friend was out Tautogging.....couldn't get his boat back on the trailer.....It must of been the 8 tautog he had.lol.....No really......his powerwinch pooped the bed so we had to hand crank and I got soaked to the mid-thighs. Had to go home to change.

10 hours ago, bob_G said:

I just got out. I was surprised at the low turnout. Charter guys were well represented.  I didn't see any canal guys in attendance. 

Thanks for sharing Bob, 1 @ 35 works for me what say you??

Heard the first meeting was dominated by Stripers Forever, who want the 35 inches. 

As a charter guy, if it’s 35 inches, that will have a major negative impact on our businesses,  and if bluefish are not around we will go out of business. I’m going to change over to all whale watching, which isn’t such a bad gig.

I’m supportive of conservation, but 35 inches and above breed, dont we want to keep them swimming? 

Why not a slot - 1 fish at 28-30, or something like that, the bigger breeders stay.

Also no gaffs period, and ban treble hooks, that will dramatically reduce mortality. 

Unfortunately I had to make a presentation before the BOS last night and did not make it myself . I have expressed my feeling in this matter in the local paper a week or so back and Until and and unless we make all poaching violations become violations against the environment with a stronger fines and such we will never be able to enforce what ever the size limits and numbers will be

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

Unfortunately I had to make a presentation before the BOS last night and did not make it myself . I have expressed my feeling in this matter in the local paper a week or so back and Until and and unless we make all poaching violations become violations against the environment with a stronger fines and such we will never be able to enforce what ever the size limits and numbers will be

Unfortunately, aside from seeing your name in print,  writing a letter to the editor in the local paper will have no impact. It's the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission that will make the final decision, and I doubt they read your local paper.

All comments and recommendations should be emailed to: comments@asmfc.org.

They need to be submitted by Oct 7, 2019. All mine went out days ago.

The Sultan of Sluggo

2 hours ago, codfish said:

Thanks for sharing Bob, 1 @ 35 works for me what say you??

It works for me. I've only kept one fish to eat this year, and a 35" fish is a lot for my wife and I.  Either way, a change is sorely needed.  

But stringent regs only go so far unless poaching is addressed on the canal.

The Sultan of Sluggo

Was in attendance and honestly no disrespect but was in shock / disgusted with the turnout. The charter guys were the only ones who showed up and made it a point to have their voices heard as they should this is their lively hood but the fact so many people publicly and privately have such a strong opinion and “concern” on the matter and then to see single digit surf guys in attendance was very disheartening.

7 mins ago, Riley1121 said:

Was in attendance and honestly no disrespect but was in shock / disgusted with the turnout. The charter guys were the only ones who showed up and made it a point to have their voices heard as they should this is their lively hood but the fact so many people publicly and privately have such a strong opinion and “concern” on the matter and then to see single digit surf guys in attendance was very disheartening.

Agree.  The charter guys clearly we're prepared and stacked the deck in their favor.  Unfortunately, like you I was disappointed in the low attendance of shore based fishermen. The ASMFC was there to take suggestions, and they got none from the surf crowd.

The Sultan of Sluggo

14 hours ago, bob_G said:

I just got out. I was surprised at the low turnout. Charter guys were well represented.  I didn't see any canal guys in attendance. 

HEY BOB  I'll be sure to tell the 30-50,000 seals about the new size limit.