ThrowinPlugs

Surfers granted more Access to North Side of Montauk

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Pulled from facebook:

The MSA leadership has been informed of a rules change at Montauk Point State Park. Apparently without any prior notification the prohibition on surfing has been lifted on the north side.

MSA has reached out to the NYS Parks Fishing advisory board, Assemblyman Thiele, Senator Lavalle as well as the commissioners office of NYS parks concerning this issue.

Surfing on the north side of the Montauk Light house has been prohibited for quite a few years as it restricts fisherman's access during optimal fishing conditions as well as leads to conflicts between the two user groups.

MSA will be keeping our membership informed on the situation as additional information develops.

There will be an update in the near future from the President and Vice president as we continue to work to resolve this issue. If you have information concerning this issue, please let Bill or Jason know at info@surfcasters.org

Please attempt to avoid conflicts with surfers and other user groups on the beach as this will not further our cause or help to resolve this issue.

Thank you

Bill Jakob, President

Jason Markowitz, Vice President

A few weeks ago the entire south side was PACKED with surfers. Couldn't get one cast out. Anyone know of why the prohibition was lifted?

Although there are some a$$wipes who intentionally cross my fishing area when there is nobody around. I have to agree that surfer are not our enemies. They share the same fighting for water access as we ( surfcaster ) do. See the Cobra group in NJ as a excellent example. 

8 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Pulled from facebook:

The MSA leadership has been informed of a rules change at Montauk Point State Park. Apparently without any prior notification the prohibition on surfing has been lifted on the north side.

MSA has reached out to the NYS Parks Fishing advisory board, Assemblyman Thiele, Senator Lavalle as well as the commissioners office of NYS parks concerning this issue.

Surfing on the north side of the Montauk Light house has been prohibited for quite a few years as it restricts fisherman's access during optimal fishing conditions as well as leads to conflicts between the two user groups.

MSA will be keeping our membership informed on the situation as additional information develops.

There will be an update in the near future from the President and Vice president as we continue to work to resolve this issue. If you have information concerning this issue, please let Bill or Jason know at info@surfcasters.org

Please attempt to avoid conflicts with surfers and other user groups on the beach as this will not further our cause or help to resolve this issue.

Thank you

Bill Jakob, President

A few weeks ago the entire south side was PACKED with surfers. Couldn't get one cast out. Anyone know of why the prohibition was lifted?

Kudos to them for banding together, putting up a fight and winning. well done.

Updated info from MSA.

Montauk Surfcasters Association

Montauk Point Surfer Situation Update #2
MSA has been informed by NYS Parks that the surfing policy at Montauk Point State Park has not changed and as such signs will be re-installed in short order as well as additional signage will be ordered. 

On 10/3/2019 at 0:13 PM, runnsfromcops said:

can't wait to see the videos of that "good son" Dylan Eckhart beating up 70 year old surfcasters at North Bar.

I think your "70 year old surfcaster" is quite upset at your description. And for the record it happened at the East Deck Jetty.

I caught a surfer earlier in the week when I was casting Polaris popper. He flew over my lure and got caught in the leg. We worked it out while he was in the water and after he removed the lure from his leg he walked out of the water and gave me back my lure. Surfers are not the enemy for sure.

14 hours ago, mikemontauk said:

I think your "70 year old surfcaster" is quite upset at your description. And for the record it happened at the East Deck Jetty.

Hey now no offense intended to the victims of that guy’s “passion” haha I was just speculating on hypotheticals. 

On 10/3/2019 at 9:15 AM, ThrowinPlugs said:

Pulled from facebook:

Thank you

Bill Jakob, President

There is no "prohibition" on surfing the south side and due to the fact that the handful of tickets issued for surfing the North Side were thrown out of court , it's open to all.