codfish

Its looking like 1 fish at 35 inches, new rules

Rate this topic

211 posts in this topic

I don't know what all the back and forth comes from? We  Already have other game fish success stories like the snook and the redfish. 

What seams to be recurring aspect are these things.

1.) Commercial fishery ban

2.) A closed season 

3.) A slot limit

4.) Game fish status

5.) Circle hook

6.)Teaching and advertising Proper Catch&release tactics

Pay attention to#5 and #6 cause this usually brings c&r mortality way down. You can't  argue results...

On 10/11/2019 at 10:28 PM, FEW3 said:

Its actually  frightening how much information is kept ant transponded through an EZ-Pass. Thats an easy solution to the license  issue. An EPO could drive the service road at around 20 mph and the system could count how many actively licensed fisherman in a row of ten, 1 meter apart. 40 yards before the epo reaches the row. The technology is available and cheap. Just saying.

Battery life is about 8 to 10 years with the transponders. 

Heck, you could require license numbers worn on the backs and software already exist to identify the license numbers and scan the body build of the angler who the license belongs to in .00009 seconds

I really like that idea.  
Add to that:
* renewable online, even from a cellphone on the beach when its april and you just realized you forgot to renew it.

* You could put all your hunting and fishing licenses on it, including license for other states.  

* EPO sees guy loading doe into a pickup, but doesn't register any licesne or doe tag...  time to stop.   Tags show up, wave and keep driving (though a congratulatory stop would be nice. :)

On 10/10/2019 at 9:19 AM, MakoMike said:

You left out one very important fact, the males from the Chesapeake bay don't migrate, they stay in the bay for their entire lives. Almost All of the fish you catch in MA are females.

Not many want to talk about all the trophy females posted online and in tackle shops. They migrate here and never make it back to replenish the population. It did not take the lobster guys long to figure out if we kill the females (eggers) the population gets thinned out. This is part of the problem. Not recognizing that keeping that fish over 35" is highly likely a female. We need to educate and practice safe release of this precious game fish. Maybe just taking a pick and putting her

On 10/3/2019 at 5:30 PM, bob_G said:

I've never understood the logic behind "both recreational and commercial fishermen have a right to the resource" reasoning?

IMO, if a resource can no longer withstand the pressure of being commercially harvested, then the commercial season needs to end. We only have to look at the 2019 striper quota to bear witnesses to that.

Look at the once mighty cod fishery to prove my point. That fishery was considered inexhaustible.  I saw it with my own eyes when I was young.  Cod in the canal we're a nuisance at times. Then in the blink of an eye, they were gone. 

History has shown when it comes to saltwater fish,  nothing is inexhaustible. We need to protect the few stripers we have left.

Exactly

On 10/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, pogie_boy said:

I really like that idea.  
Add to that:
* renewable online, even from a cellphone on the beach when its april and you just realized you forgot to renew it.

* You could put all your hunting and fishing licenses on it, including license for other states.  

* EPO sees guy loading doe into a pickup, but doesn't register any licesne or doe tag...  time to stop.   Tags show up, wave and keep driving (though a congratulatory stop would be nice. :)

Surprised no one already said this.

I don't like the idea of being auto scanned wherever I go. I realize its happening a lot already. But shooting a beam at me for identification purposes is kinda the opposite of what I love about fishing. The Canal is .... different, I get that. No 'scanners' though. (Like I'm a tray of muffins at Shaws) 

And a congratulatory stop? I know it was tongue in cheek ha ha ha -- But forget that! 

35 inches is good, lets do it. Circles with dead bait, I'm in. 

Stripers are not what they were just a short while ago for sure.. - 35 is a good step.

On 10/3/2019 at 2:23 PM, jps1010 said:

Yes, that is one of their recommendations and one of the options the ASMFC is considering.

When 1@36" was the rule it is was nearly impossible to catch a fish that size and as a young kid, I thought fish that size were only caught from boats (sort of sounds like nowadays).  Within a few years, the waters I fished that only held 15" to 20" bass were now yielding teem sized fish regularly.  It worked last time and should work again.  However, the problem I foresee is the lax regs in the Chesapeake.  The 1 @ 35" should apply there as well.

Each state maintains the right to set fishing regs in their waters is what freedom is all about.

Regarding circle hooks. Does anyone seriously believe anyone is going to be checking for circle hooks? With few exceptions, every bait chucker on the canal is seeking a striper as their prime target, with scup, sea bass and togs being a by catch. Will EPOs really stop and check every bait fisherman next summer to see if they're using a j or circle hook? How long will it be before everyone says " gee officer, I'm fishing for blues", just to avoid a ticket.

30 mins ago, msrief said:

Each state maintains the right to set fishing regs in their waters is what freedom is all about.

Isn't freedom about being able to share in a natural resource?  I hardly fish anymore because the bass and bluefishing in my home waters has been terrible for the past few years.

The current regs have gotten us to where we are now so I don't have much faith in the states ability to manage themselves for the good of everyone.

58 mins ago, bob_G said:

Regarding circle hooks. Does anyone seriously believe anyone is going to be checking for circle hooks? With few exceptions, every bait chucker on the canal is seeking a striper as their prime target, with scup, sea bass and togs being a by catch. Will EPOs really stop and check every bait fisherman next summer to see if they're using a j or circle hook? How long will it be before everyone says " gee officer, I'm fishing for blues", just to avoid a ticket.

Well-------They do it other places.. and after time it is mostly adopted.                One way its going to help : The law abiding average C&R guy gut hooks a fish, feels bad, keeps it or hopes for the best after a sketchy revival. (Now we need to agree a lot of dudes are law abiding Octopus/ J Hook Bait types). If that same guy has a **circle hook on the line most fish dont keep the hook down deep.   

Baby step maybe- But its probably going to happen eventually IMO (actually it is happening now that I look it up --in 2020) 

The checking by EPA, goodness knows, will not be common.

The compliance will be common.. IDK.. 65.86% (?) of the bait fisherman will use circles as mandated. More Stripers live to reproduce. 

**The hooks work fine IMO (BTW the switch saved a lot of fish for me and my vagabond fishing buddies when we live line Macs too). Still caught them-  way more "lip" hooked bass. Sometimes you miss the set that hook feeling I suppose. I've heard that said. -- but thats why mother nature provides those black bass inland ;) 

Hey!!- it beats getting scanned like a can of soup. ;) 

Edited by jausman

On 10/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, MakoMike said:

Remember most of the mortality is coming from C&R fishermen.

:confused:  Does release mortality not include meat fisherman who need to weed through 20 shorts they hooked in the gut to find a keeper? Ban commercial fishing, catch and release only, stripers are saved, easy peasy.

1 min ago, nateD said:

:confused:  Does release mortality not include meat fisherman who need to weed through 20 shorts they hooked in the gut to find a keeper? Ban commercial fishing, catch and release only, stripers are saved, easy peasy.

Of course it includes meat fishermen, but how would C&R only stop that? You expect the meat fishermen to stop fishing? The commercial catch is a drop in th bucket compared to the recreational mortality, IIRC its less than 10% of the recreational kill.

6 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Of course it includes meat fishermen, but how would C&R only stop that? You expect the meat fishermen to stop fishing? The commercial catch is a drop in th bucket compared to the recreational mortality, IIRC its less than 10% of the recreational kill.

Yes, unless they plan to poach. 

Moratorium is what we need, **** every other plan

1 hour ago, jps1010 said:

Isn't freedom about being able to share in a natural resource?  I hardly fish anymore because the bass and bluefishing in my home waters has been terrible for the past few years.

The current regs have gotten us to where we are now so I don't have much faith in the states ability to manage themselves for the good of everyone.

Which industries are the most screwed up? Fishing, farming and healthcare which are heavily mandated by the feds.  Need I say more??

2 hours ago, jps1010 said:

You are confusing freedom with common weal.  Freedom means that DE doesn't have to sacrifice their fishery because NC or VA have more commercial boats,

9 mins ago, msrief said:

You are confusing freedom with common weal.  Freedom means that DE doesn't have to sacrifice their fishery because NC or VA have more commercial boats,

people don’t think past the now.  not sure exactly what got it to the point of moratorium last time but ****, it worked... and give it a couple more seasons it’ll be that bad again.  ever see “The Lorax” ?  we all fish... rec, comm, wtf ?  why is there any argument we’re f ing up the fishery - WE - all of us.  are we all that short sighted not to make a material change in OUR collective behaviors to benefit OURSELVES in the long run ???